News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Garand's Garand

Started by T. WOLF, September 06, 2018, 08:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. WOLF

This is crazy...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/keithwood/2018/09/06/this-rifle-that-won-world-war-ii-is-likely-to-be-the-most-expensive-ever/amp/

In November of 1942, the M-1 Garand with serial number 1000000 was built on the Springfield Armory assembly line. That millionth rifle, stocked in highly figured walnut, was presented to Garand at his retirement ceremony at the Kimball Hotel in Springfield on April 30,1953, by the Secretary of the Army. This rifle and its cased accessories are part of the collection of Alan Cors and will be auctioned on September 8, 2018, in Rock Island, Illinois. Eight gold-plated 30-06 cartridges and a silver-plated en bloc clip are included with this rifle along with some of Garand's engineering tools and assorted other items related to the rifle and its provenance. 
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

Cmdr of Flying Saucer X-2

Here's a nice vid about Garand's Garand https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=_22sKIyj6yM.

And some info about General Patton's M1 that he never got, what a beautiful rifle: https://www.range365.com/winchester-general-goerge-pattons-m1 . The Cody Firearm Museum mentioned in this article sounds like a great place to visit.

When your government tells you who the enemy is, that is war.

When you figure it out for yourself, that is revolution.

BeeFree

The Cody Firearms Museum is FABULOUS.  That is all.

Bee
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

Mike AKA Bandaid

Following this with interest! Anyone know what it sold for?
Known Distance Rifleman 07/2018
PNW Morgans Rifleman 07/2018
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

HammBone

I heard it sold for $282,500. Not sure if that included the buyer's premium or not.
1st Appleseed/Cleared Redcoat/Rifleman: 4/20/2013 - Miamisburg, OH
1st Known Distance Rifleman: 11/3/2018 - New Philadelphia, OH
1st Winterseed Rifleman: 1/26/2019 - Liberty Center, OH
Donned the Red Hat: 6/16/2019 - Wilmington, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"Blessed is the man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight." - Jeff Cooper

Mike AKA Bandaid

Quote from: HammBone on September 10, 2018, 11:31:42 AM
I heard it sold for $282,500. Not sure if that included the buyer's premium or not.

I was pretty sure my bid of $40,000 didn't even make the opening bid! With an 18% buyers premium, I'm betting that the $282,500 didn't take that into account.

I really figured this would go for more, especially with all the extras that came with it.

Thanks!
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

Charles McKinley

I was expecting to see Ian of "Forgotten Weapons" in the video.

Thanks for sharing this.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Mike AKA Bandaid

Quote from: Charles McKinley on September 10, 2018, 06:45:29 PM
I was expecting to see Ian of "Forgotten Weapons" in the video.

Thanks for sharing this.
Seriously, Right!?!?!?

Where was he at?
Red Hat 09/2018
Distinguished 10/2018

Nashville Stage

Here is Ian's brief follow-up on that rifle, along with a developmental trials Garand that also sold:

https://youtu.be/6B7-UEV9hCI?t=9m11s

On a side note: looking through the video's comments, there was apparently an 1886 Winchester lever action that sold at the same auction for slightly more...

$1 million
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Nashville Stage

Here's some more info & pictures of the 5 most expensive guns sold in that auction (of which the Garand was only #4).

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/09/25/top-5-most-expensive-guns-sold-in-september-2018-rock-island-premiere-firearms-auction
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."