News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Which club to join?

Started by FiremanBob, July 23, 2018, 10:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiremanBob

PleasedtoAim and I will be (legally) immigrating to New Hampshire later this summer, once we finish selling our house in VA. She will be working in Wilton/Lyndeborough and I assume we'll live within a half-hour commute of her job. We'll need to join a good, local club asap. Which ones should we try to join? Any we should avoid?

Thanks.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

MattNH

Congratulations on the move!  I am a member of Pioneer Sportsman in Dunbarton, NH.  It was the first one I could get into about 5-6 years ago.  Last I was aware, there are hundreds on waiting lists through out the state for shooting club memberships.  That may have changed. The following is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth

The good - It is about 45 min/30 miles north of Wilton - straight up route 13.  It has a short (20m-ish) indoor range and several outdoor ranges.  They have a 25m multi-purpose range, which I happen to spend most of my time at.  They cap the membership at 350 or 400 and I am unsure if there is a waiting list.  Safety is a priority for the club as it should be, and in general friendly folks.   They also have a really nice archery building

The bad - no shooting before 8am any day.  Sunday may be 9 or 10am.  Several years ago some neighbors sued over noise complaints and the time restriction is a settlement of the suit.  It's bad for me because with the sun being up early in the summer, I would love to go shoot starting at 7am, leave by 7:30 and be on time for work at 8. 

The ugly (again, my opinion) - The calendar is full with some type of shooting sport match just about every weekend and I have not been able to go shoot when I want.  The club is IDPA crazy and attracts many people for monthly matches.  I stopped participating in IDPA there because it would take 6-8 hours to shoot a 5 or 6 stage match.  They also host the NH state IDPA match. 

MattNH
Appleseed is friend to all, enemy to none

MattNH

Following up.  One of the Appleseed friendly clubs in Peterborough (usually 2 shoots a year, spring and fall) is having some trouble with a neighbor and town officials.  The club name is Monadnock Rod and Gun Club

http://www.wmur.com/article/peterborough-shooting-club-investigated-for-alleged-wetlands-violations/22549609

Appleseed is friend to all, enemy to none

azmule

Well crap!  This doesn't look promising.  I'm looking at a job oportunity in NH too, but I need a 400yd+ rifle range if I'm going to live there.  Call me spoiled, but I guess I was expecting that there would be plenty to choose from, kind of like there is here in AZ.

Anybody got any leads at all?
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

2 clicks low

Here is a reasonably comprehensive list of ranges in the country.

https://www.wheretoshoot.org/

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Kee

I'll echo Matt's welcome and congratulations on your move.  I can speak to both Chester Rod and Gun and Pelham Fish and Game, but I think both may be too far from you.  Pelham is the closer of the two and has very good facilities, (including a 600yd range, Azmule), and last I knew, no waiting list. 

https://www.pelhamfishandgame.org/

FiremanBob

I believe I read on Pelham's site that membership is now closed for a time.

PleasedtoAim and I will be joining the ranks of the Free State movement in early October. Hope to meet some Appleseeders there and we plan to participate in any remaining events in NH or neighboring states during the Fall.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Luigi

Welcome all of you to the Live Free or Die state! Glad to see you hop aboard.

I can vouch for MattNH's positive comments on Pioneer Sportsman's, although I am not a member and am not familiar with their operating tempo.

I confirm that Monadnock Rod and Gun in Peterborough, a great club that has sponsored many Appleseed shoots, is in contention with neighbors and the town and is currently closed to shooting; hope that gets resolved soon!

I am a member of both Nashua Fish and Game and Pelham Fish and Game, both of which have 600-yd ranges.  Pelham in particular has been a very strong supporter of Project Appleseed, we typically host our Patriots Day Shoots there.  Both are, as MattNH said, probably too far away from Wilton for comfort.  Pelham also has a strong action shooting infrastructure and supports that discipline. I am on the Membership committee there, and will be happy to sponsor new members who are Appleseeders.

Hope to see you all at an upcoming shoot.  If there's anything any of you need helpwise as you arrive and settle in please reach out!

Luigi

TOMINCT

It's probably worth joining one, even if it's a haul. You'll have  a place and another option closer may come up when you least expect it.

Checking Mapquest both Nashua and Pelham are less than an hour away, in general.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

FiremanBob

Have just completed the relocation from Virginia to Wilton, NH. After a few days rest will start exploring shooting opportunities.

Monkey

Quote from: FiremanBob on October 12, 2018, 03:45:29 PM
Have just completed the relocation from Virginia to Wilton, NH. After a few days rest will start exploring shooting opportunities.

Glad to hear that you made it safe, sir.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham