News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

McLean, IL July 21-22, 2018 After Action Report

Started by TheEditor, July 21, 2018, 09:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

I hope everyone had a good time and learned a lot!

Due to a scheduling conflict at my work, I was unable to take the weekend off.  Shooter 30-06 stepped up and was Red Hat Shoot Boss in my absence.  Thanks to Steve for taking this on. 

Participants and instructors, please post comments and pictures. 

Thanks to the Holland Family for again hosting us.

Thanks to GSL Defense Training for equipment and logistical support. 

Wish I could be there!

TheEditor

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Shooter30-06

Congratulations to all involved for a very nice weekend.  The first note of thanks is to the Holland Family for hosting this event.  Next, thanks needs to go to Guns Save Life for funding and promoting the event.  Thanks are also appropriate to GSL Defense Training which made its equipment trailer, popups, and equipment of all sorts available to Appleseed. 

As acting Shoot Boss I would begin by saying that in nine years of Appleseed this may be the safest group of shooters I have ever worked with.  Our instructor meetings revealed that no on could recall a serious safety issue over the entire course of the weekend.  I told all the shooters at the Saturday introduction that I could not guarantee that all of them would shoot expert but that ALL of them would be safety experts by the end the shoot.  They all proved me correct.

My fellow instructors were outstanding.  We had a lot of brand new shooters and the instructor group did a very nice job giving them the individual attention necessary for them to flourish.  We had a couple of shooters with adaptive needs and they both reported that they had a very nice time. 

The shooters were to the person extremely receptive to instruction and suggestions and their marksmanship reflected that eagerness.  Congratulations to Nic on earning his Rifleman's badge.  We also had six requalifications.  Some of our brand new shooters shot scores in the 190 and 200 range and knocking on the door.  This was incredible improvement. 

A special note of thanks to AK,  my spouse and fellow Red Hat instructor.  Without your help and assistance this shoot would not have been nearly as successful.  Her photos will follow.     
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

AK

What a great Appleseed weekend!! Temperatures in the mid 70's, nice (strong)breeze, and beautiful location. Special THANKS to the Holland family for hosting another Appleseed. They go above and beyond to make everything go smoothly and everyone feel welcome. Thanks also to Guns Save Life for sponsoring this event and to GSL Defense Training for use of their equipment. We had a wonderful group of IITs - Outtaammo, Flyr521, Shooter559, Rev.357, Freedomisn'teasy, Amedic, Vopps, and smileinbob.  Shooter 30.06 did a fantastic job as a fill in Shoot Boss, keeping us all on track making sure everyone was safe and receiving the attention they needed. Terry and Keith requalified multiple times.  ^:)^Congratulations to Nic on earning his Rifleman patch! ^:)^ Will try to post pictures soon.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

AK

~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

AK

~Lee Greenwood

AK

~Lee Greenwood

AK

One more picture. Couldn't skip this one!
~Lee Greenwood

Rev.357

A big thank you to our three Young Patriots.  They did what the Americans did on April 19, that brought America into existance.  They came out and showed up.  As long as we have young patriots, there is hope for America. 

Thanks for the great pictures and all your work AK.  It's always great to see you on the line, even if you do keep bringing that old 30.06. 

It was also great to have PlentyOfAmmo and OutaAmmo on the job on Saturday.  I referred to Ammo's "Man Card" story several times.  Everyone remembered to bring the teachable attitude on the Appleseed what to bring list. 

Shooter 30.06 did a great job carrying the lion's share of the history and the line work.  Thanks for stepping up Shooter (He is doing a yeoman's job with GSL and the 2nd amendment community in Central Illinois; in addition to his Project Appleseed work.). 

Shooter and I got to instruct with Freedomisn'teasy on a line of pistoleros one weekend and a line of riflemen the next.  Freedom did a great job calling the line at both events.  It was great to see Freedom with the rest of the Capitol City Justice League.  Get a good pair of shooting glasses with the dominant eye lens ground for the distance from your eye to the front sight, and the other ground for infinity.  Oh yea, and then come back next year.  I love meeting interesting people.   

Flyer 521 did a great job on the end of the line, in the middle of the line and behind the line instructing.  He has a gentle, engaging way about him; and a genuine smile that you just have to believe.  Shooter 559 did a great job with line duties, and did the heavy lifting with the youngest of our shooters.  If Flyer and Shooter 559 are on site every job will be done with smiles, no matter how menial. 

Good to work next to Vopps again.  You can shoot my target anytime.  Bring the rest of the G-burg Law & Order team again.  I've never had a student who was quicker to understand and try instruction.  Quick of mind and steady of judgement is a valuable combination.  Keep up the good work. 

Thanks to the whole Smilinbob crew.  The Good Lord made a beautiful venue for an Appleseed, and it looks even better after the Holland crew does the yard work.  Fresh from the National NRA Air Rifle Championships, Covergirl did a great job transitioning back to small bore.  Next year bring more cousins.

Mrs. Amedic can shoot.  A 202 is just so close it makes my chest hurt.  The rest of your team are doing great as well whether on the rifle range or on the horse range.  You are blessed, Medic. 

Another congratulations to Nickolas.  Shooting expert with iron sights and a .308, that's the way a full grown American man bear who knows what he is about does it.  Next year bring Brother and Father in Law. 

Joe improved with every trip to the line.  Next year, bring a carload.  Make that trip from Chi-town worth while, and make Chi-town a better place.

Thanks to all for letting me be a part of such a great weekend. 
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.