News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega, AL CMP KD, July 14-15, 2018

Started by CokeGuy, July 17, 2018, 09:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CokeGuy

A regular 25 meter or KD Appleseed is a challenge, but very rewarding to see the progress of shooters with little or no experience with rifles. An Instructor-Only KD is at least double the challenge, but four times the reward...not so much in your shooting improvement (there was plenty of that), but from being able to spend quality time with you on the range, and especially in the classroom and during "after-hours". Guardian remarked that he would probably not have come to "just a KD"....it was you people ("ya'll", right, hogfamily) that brought him. We were all so pleased to have Dr. John with us! When those in the classroom were asked to stand if they had been taught by, worked with, or had been mentored by Dr. John, almost all stood up.

The threat of thunderstorms all weekend never materialized (huzzah!). However, the heat and humidity was almost debilitating even though we were under cover except for the target detection exercise. Unfortunately, we were advised by CMP that we would only be allotted 17 positions on the 100 yard range. With 26 shooters, we had no choice but to shoot in relays. Some felt rushed; others liked it and thought they actually shot better. All were able to to have enough good Stage 1 scores to be able to try for Rifleman on Stages 2, 3 and 4 on Sunday.

This KD event at Talladega must have a good reputation (thank you, Maximum Ordinate & Ramblin' Wreck) because in addition to the "regulars", we had hogfamily and Maniac from Alaska, Drip Drop from Texas, and rustygun from Memphis! The Alaska folks publicly invited all of us to come to Alaska so they could repay our Southern hospitality. (Be careful what you offer; a cabin on a lake near Anchorage with fishing in July is very tempting!)

It is not an exaggeration to say that "a good time was had by all." You folks can shoot! I was handing out KD rockers like candy...again, and again, and again. Ron (a Viet Nam vet) commented that he definitely would not want to be on a "two way range" opposing this bunch, even beyond 600 yards. Ron and rustygun were thanked by many on their cooking skills at the Saturday evening cookout. Many thanks to you two for stepping up and to all who brought food, fixings, beverages and everything else, which allowed us to enjoy a long evening of group fellowship. This late evening seemed to have nothing but a positive impact on Sunday's performance: 17 people with (many with multiple) Rifleman scores, including two (Maniac-42 & Herdsman-46) earning their first KD rockers! GDawg had the high score for the event with a 49 out of his four, yes four, Rifleman scores. Cleveland shot two 48 scores. Scar & Scarlett tied with scores of 47 each.

As all of we instructors know, some Appleseed events are more special and memorable than others. For me, this one will be very hard to top. There were hugs on arrival, high-fives and hugs all during the two days, and hugs at the end.  My heartfelt thanks to all of you for making this an outstanding event for me, and especially to Maximum Ordinate for his leadership and support, to Ron and Tellico for staying the course as RSOs, and to CorgiMom and Ron for running the Registration. And, thanks to Cleveland for giving up shooting time to help with instruction.

In addition to the items already mentioned, thanks to all for your input on possible changes for the next time:
1. Split instruction to be able to shoot earlier
2. Consider some history at dinner
3. Post some classroom problems on the Forum for folks to work on
4. Double check Target placement so that all can see.
5. Consider an annual Instructor-Only Liberty discussion day
6. Send info on SCATT/MantisX (Rusty has done this one)
7. Consider Appleseed T shirt of wicking material
8. Consider having food catered.

Other items are covered in the IAAR. Many photos are already posted in FB, so none included here.

It was my honor and great pleasure to serve with Maximum Ordinate as your Shoot Boss for this weekend.
In Liberty!

Ramblin' Wreck

Huzzah CokeGuy!

Sorry I missed the event for the first time in years. But, I blew the horn on our way through Birmingham on Saturday (you heard it didn't you?) on the way back from 6 weeks in New Mexico at the NRA Whittington Center where it was also hot (but it's a dry heat. Just ask Taos Glock  ;D )

Congratulations to all the patch earners. Keep aiming small.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

freedomzxcv

Great class as always with terrific instruction. I'll be at the next one, no matter how hot it is.

Thanks to all the out of staters that came down, to Cokeguy, Brian and Rusty for the heavy lifting, Ron for grilling and all the others that contributed to the event.

Where are the pictures posted? Unfortunately I only took a few and they were all of target screens.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

Leadslinger66

Somehow I keep missing this event. Not next time, as long as nothing catastrophic develops! Enjoyed reading the AAR and IAAR. Sounds like an excellent weekend!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

CokeGuy

On Facebook by Scar, Scarlet,and others.
Quote from: freedomzxcv on July 17, 2018, 04:14:38 PM
Great class as always with terrific instruction. I'll be at the next one, no matter how hot it is.

Thanks to all the out of staters that came down, to Cokeguy, Brian and Rusty for the heavy lifting, Ron for grilling and all the others that contributed to the event.

Where are the pictures posted? Unfortunately I only took a few and they were all of target screens.

hogfamily

Travis and I would like to thank y'all for the Southern hostility. We had a most excellent time

Our weekend started out with a visit on Friday morning to the CMP South Store where we found some nice M1s.

We were honored to have the assistance of Tom in picking out our M1s. Tom is a regular visitor to the CMP store and is a Garand expert. He spent about an hour with Travis and I helping us pick out some nice rifles.

Travis picked out an excellent CMP Special SA M1 that he used to earn his KD rocker. I have to brag on Travis a bit here…Travis had only shot about 50 rounds with a Garand prior to the KD weekend. His only complaint after the KD was that his "Shoulder was a little sore"…and he did mention the heat and humidity a few…well maybe more than a few times.

I picked up a nice 1943 WRA, (with a '65 replacement barrel and a beautiful CMP stock), that was in near perfect overall condition.  A rough looking WRA caught my eye…well only the stock was a little rough the rest of the rifle was in great condition. Tom explained that it was an early '41 manufactured WRA with a GI stock. Son # 3 has already put dibs on it.

The CMP range at Talladega is amazing. The electronic scoring system is a marvel. No more working the pits or walking 600 yards to check targets.

The KD instruction was the best! What can I say? Our instructors were outstanding! Actually every participant was an instructor so we picked up many rifleman and riflewomen tips.

The best part of the weekend was meeting fellow Patriots and sharing stories.

Thank y'all for making us feel most welcome and making sure we had a great time.

I would like to thank Maximum Ordinate for making sure I had a rifle and ammo to use for the event and your hospitality.

Thank you CokeGuy for an outstanding event!

HUZZAH!
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Palousie

Here is the link to my photos. Sorry I couldn't get pictures of everyone, but I tried my best. You should be able to download straight from Dropbox, but if for some reason you can't, and want a specific photo, drop me a message with your name, the number of the photo you want, and your email so I can get it to you.

This weekend was a blast, and it was a pleasure sharing it with friends!

Until next time :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/70h5yn03zrblfbz/AADgD867Jy-ZtZRoPrz1ZiU0a?dl=0

Maximum Ordinate

This was a great event... lots of fellowship and fun with folks who love Liberty.

My appreciation to Everett who did a great job shoot bossing it & Brian who herded the cats for lodging, the cookout, and stuff.  Well done.  It was great to meet so many new folks, including Hogfamily & Maniac from Alaska and DripDrop from Texas.  I finally got to meet FranklinFarmer and his two kids... that's a family of hard core Rifleman (all qualified with .30 caliber battle rifles!)

Congratulations to all the new (Maniac, Herdsman & Al) and the requalifying KD Riflemen.  You are a group who truly knows what you're about.

I didn't take as many pics as I normally do, but I got a few nice ones.

Finishing up Friday setup

Friday dinner at Montana's

A quick instructor meeting

Traditional group pic!

Inches Milliradians & Clicks

A little seated practice

Rustygun getting to work

You can't help but smile at all those scores posted!  Every one qualified at 600!

I'm looking forward to next year!

for Liberty,
MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Rustygun

What an outstanding event! Rusty and Everett did a great job handling everything along with the Blue Hats. This was my first time at the Garand Range and it is as good as everyone says. A great venue for an AS. It was a pleasure to meet all the Instructors I hadn't met before. I witnessed some really good shooting including some very impressive 600 yard iron sight shooting by Maniac and WyKnott.

The cookout was a good time and highlight of the weekend. This event was great in every way. In addition to having a great time, I learned a lot as well. Hard to imagine a finer group of people. Thanks again to everyone who helped put it on. I will be back next year no doubt.