News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piqua, Ohio, June 23-24, 2018

Started by Shep, June 26, 2018, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep

We had a great weekend at the Piqua Appleseed; twenty-two shooters joined us for marksmanship and history. It was a very smooth running event due to all the shooters being very well prepared with good equipment. Many shooters had previously attended an Appleseed so that helped to speed up the courses of fire throughout the day. The Buckeye Trapper told some pre-history and the first strike, with Little Buddy presenting the second and third strikes later in the day.  Things went so well that shooters had time to fire and score three AQT targets, and still able to case rifles at 5:00 in the afternoon.

We had two new riflemen on Saturday; Josiah K. returned to Piqua and proved he had been practicing since the April shoot by scoring a 224, then reconfirmed with a 213 and a 216. Joe F. earned his Rifleman patch by shooting a score of 221. Our Ohio State Coordinator, Corvette, reconfirmed his rifleman status by shooting two targets which each scored 219. Chad A. also returned to us and reconfirmed in a big way, shooting scores of 220, 234 and a 243, which earned him the Distinguished Rifleman bar.

The Boyd family from near Chicago joined us for not only their first Appleseed, but also their first experience with shooting, on Friday morning they received an informal course on rifle safety and function, then fired just eleven rounds each. By Saturday afternoon they were shooting like pros; Steve even cleared his Saturday evening Redcoat!

Sunday was another great day; after the morning Redcoat and natural point of aim drills we went back to shooting our AQT's. Both Josiah and Chad, kept sending rounds into black, reconfirming their standing as riflemen several more times.  Darwyn K. reconfirmed with a 225 and a 230. William, who received his rifleman patch at our April shoot reconfirmed with a 223 score. Caleb was so close shooting a 208, I'm sure he'll get over the 210 hump at his next shoot.

Known Distance shooting was discussed after lunch Sunday, and then the target line was dropped for our fun match, which was a full sized silhouette at 100 yards. Shooters were broken into teams five of three, with twenty rounds each, they had forty seconds to go from standing to prone and engage the target; the winner to be determined by the number of hits in each target. The Buckeye Trapper ran the line and used the quote from Major Buttrick at The North Bridge, "FIRE MEN! FOR GOD"S SAKE FIRE AS FAST AS YOU CAN."  Team four was the winner, with fifty-eight of their sixty rounds finding the mark.

Thanks go to The Piqua Fish and Game for hosting the event, and to a great instructor crew, The Buckeye Trapper, Rattlehead, Little Buddy, Yankee, Doc Willi, Shadow 870 and Haley Beth.

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Corvette

My thanks to the Piqua crew.  They run a truely first class shoot.  I have to say that Saturday wore this 63 year old guy out.  But it was great to be with so many great shooters.  Shooting next to Chad was really humbling.  His groups were all so tight that I felt like a rookie shooting next to him. 

I was hoping he would take an Orange hat but will have to wait to find out if he did.

Also, my thanks to Piqua Fish and Game for continuing to support Appleseed.  We can not run our program without great ranges like PF&G to act as hosts. 

Huzzah.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Shep

Piqua photos
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Shep

More photos

Shep

More photos

Shep

More photos

Shep

Even more photos

Shep

Three more photos

BlindDog

Team BSZ......

We're not a .22 club so get out and shoot ATC, Across the Course so others will realize that.

Texas T

From the looks of the Redcoat   O0  , I see an instructor in the future. If one can shoot like that, it is worth passing on to others...
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Cadence

Chad's redcoat is one of the most impressive I've seen! Good Job  O0

Congrats to the Piqua crew. I hope to make it down there one of the days.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Corvette

Yep, I had to shoot next to Chad all day Saturday, It was humbling to say the least. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!