News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HISTORY BOOT CAMP

Started by TxRebel, June 24, 2018, 02:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxRebel

:F Alright everyone; we have an amazing training event coming up ^:)^.  Didactic has graciously offered his facility for us to use for a History Boot Camp (HBC).  :bow: Superheat will be coming out to join us and help instruct :beer:.  I can't tell you all how excited I am that we are making this happen. 

This once in a lifetime (for 2018), never seen before, 243 years in the making, going to regret it if you don't come event will be held on August 25th & 26th in Cedar Creek Texas.

Here is what I would like to ask all my Texas instructors-

Shoot Bosses:  If you are able to attend please do. This will be a great opportunity to dig deeper into the history and reinforce your knowledge.  HOWEVER please don't come alone; reach out to the lost sheep out there and try to bring them back into the fold.  This will be a fun event and hopefully they will recatch the AS bug. O0

Red Hats: This is a fantastic opportunity to learn more and brush up on more history.  I also want you to invite that new orange hat you've 7th stepped and help set them up for success. ;)

Orange Hats:  HIGHLY ENCOURAGED/REQUIRED (I'm joking about required)!!!!  But seriously this is a serious boon to those working toward IIT4/Red hat.  The history is what holds most people back and this is a killer chance to learn from the best and practice your storytelling.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come and take advantage of this amazing training!!!

If there is something stoping your from attending that I can help you with please don't hesitate to reach out to me.  If any other instructors can help please do.  Lets not let lack of a ride, a place to stay, food money etc etc etc stand in your way. If your job or your family need you I understand.  But if you can make it I highly encourage you to do so.

More info to follow on lodging/camping options. If we can get over 25 attendees I'll personally feed everyone lunch both days!!!  Make your new state coordinator pay for lunch, I double dog dare you!!!  If we fail to get 25 people there  :'( we will workout a potluck or a small fee to cover meals for everyone.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Mrs. Smith

Ha!!!  You would offer to feed me on a weekend I'll be working a shoot in Nebraska......  Sneaky guy!

Seriously, though, this looks like it's gonna be SO GREAT.   :1luvu

:beer:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

AF5US

Dan,

You're pretty much up to speed on what's happening in my life (in other words, "family health").  I'm planning on making it, unless I can't
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mercedes

Dan,

How do we get the word out about the History Boot Camp. Can Scuzzy send this notification out to all Texas Instructor cadre?  We don't have many people signed up for the event yet and the Boot Camp Instructor is coming in from Michigan.  We really need a good turnout. 

Also, I've seen "Border Raider" notifications on old IBC and RBC posts.  Do you think it would be helpful to post info about the History Boot Camp on the LA, Arkansas, and OK forums and/or the Area forums as well or is it better to send to the State Coordinators only and let them extend the invitation? 

One a personal note, I'll be in NE at the LadySeed and am really bummed that I can't make this event.

Debbie

AF5US

Quote from: Mercedes on July 05, 2018, 02:16:04 PM
We don't have many people signed up for the event yet . . .

Okay, maybe everyone else knows this but I've been very much distracted with life lately, so . . .

Is there an official sign-up page I didn't know about and if so, where?

Mercedes

Debbie

AF5US

Quote from: Mercedes on July 06, 2018, 01:47:28 PM

Debbie

O0

Soooo, apparently I was already signed up . . . which is good . . . but probably proof that I can't figure out if I'm coming or going lately  ;D

Thanks Debbie

Cold Warrior

How much room do you have?
Border Raiders welcome?
I see you have a sign-up on TIPS, but would appreciate more info on the logistics of it...
Hotels, times, etc.

We want to do a Mid-Atlantic History Boot Camp in the Fall (Maryland), and I might like to come to yours, because:
1) I'm sure I'll learn something too. 
2) I've been so darned impressed with the TX crew!  O0
3) It sounds like too much fun hanging around with Appleseeders talking history!!
:F
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

Steck

scuzzy

Quote from: Cold Warrior on July 13, 2018, 07:36:46 PM
How much room do you have?
Border Raiders welcome?
I see you have a sign-up on TIPS, but would appreciate more info on the logistics of it...
Hotels, times, etc.

We want to do a Mid-Atlantic History Boot Camp in the Fall (Maryland), and I might like to come to yours, because:
1) I'm sure I'll learn something too. 
2) I've been so darned impressed with the TX crew!  O0
3) It sounds like too much fun hanging around with Appleseeders talking history!!
:F

Man - I don't have many details myself. I'll get Dean, who owns the place, to fill in some blanks.

I believe there is space at his place to camp or bunk but not sure. There are lots of hotels in the area.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

didactic

Update, with details, coming soon.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

The Old Guide

I can certify that Didactic ate an apple from Colonel Barrett's apple tree. I picked it and handed it to him. We then walked much of Battle Road.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Superheat

HISTORY BOOT CAMP!  It is coming soon.  I will have more details shortly.  Please set aside the time to come.  I guarantee you will not be disappointed. 

Superheat

Everyone is invited to attend the History Boot Camp in Cedar Creek, TX on August 24-25.  Blue hats, Orange hats, Red hats and Green hats are welcome. Heck even if you don't have a hat come join in.  This is an event to help everyone improve their history knowledge and storytelling.  There will be plenty of camaraderie too. 

TXrebel pretty much nailed an HBC in his description.  Two days of nothing but history.  There will be classroom work, some breakout sessions and a whole bunch of fun.  We will be starting at 08:30 both Saturday and Sunday.  Did I mention they promised AIR CONDITIONING?

I will leave the lodging and food plans to Didactic.  Dean please chime in.

Number6 and I are very excited to come to Texas and share what we do in Michigan, but most of all we are looking to bring home some of the things that Texas does. 

Just like a normal Appleseed event, the two most important things are: 1 Show up!  2. Have a teachable attitude.

Also bring:
-   A comfortable chair. (within reason, please no sofas)
-   Copy of Paul Revere's Ride
-   Note pad, pen/pencil/highlighter
-   Show and tell items: favorite April 19 books, historical items- bayonet, cartridge box, musket etc.

Preparation is recommended but not required.  A good place to start is obviously reading PRR.  Over achievers can study the TIPS site history section.  Again, just sign up and show up.  If you can only do one day, that is fine.  We just want everyone to benefit from this program. 

The HBC is designed to help the person who is overwhelmed with the history.   We will break it down and start climbing the mountain.  We were all intimidated with presenting history.  Some of us still are intimidated.  Please let us help you.  Obviously, that can only happen if you show up August 24-25.   

Heck, I want to see Dan buy lunch for everyone! How many do we need?

Feel free to PM me, Text or Email any questions.

Peter Angel aka: Superheat
313-304-0027  peterjangel@gmail.com

didactic

:F :partytime: ^:)^

OK, friends, details are coming together.

The facility is a classroom outbuilding 100 feet from my house, on a 10-acre property "out in the boonies" in Bastrop County, Texas.  Roughly 25 miles SE of Austin.  Detailed driving directions to follow.  The building contains a kitchen and two hot-and-cold running water bathrooms, and the building is air conditioned.  There is an attached 25-meter firing range attached, and there is a swimming pool and hot tub near the main house.  There is a large parking area suitable for RV's and tents, with 115V electricity and water via a garden hose, but no sewer hookup.

What to bring?  What Superheat specified above, but also a swimsuit.  I have a few extras, but bringing a towel and folding chair is a good idea if you're coming by car.

Sessions start at 8:30 on Saturday and Sunday, will wrap up 5-ish on Saturday and 1-ish on Sunday.  Friday arrivals are welcome, any time after 1600 or so.  BUT PLEASE PM ME IF YOU IF YOU WILL BE COMING FRIDAY, FOR FOOD PLANNING PURPOSES.

This is not a shooting event, but the range will be available if you have a specific firearm you need to function-test or sight in.  Max caliber is .50 BMG.  No artillery.  'Nuff said.

Sleeping arrangements:  Real beds are promised to the out-of-state presenters.  Floor space in the classroom is first-come, first served.  Three have called "dibs" so far, and there is probably room for 8 or 10 total.  Carpeted floor and a working air conditioner are there, but no guarantees of privacy offered.  Air mattress or folding cot advised, but you'll need to be able to fold up and remove whatever from the classroom for the training sessions.  If you have an RV or travel trailer, that'll be a good solution.  Tent and RV space is essentially unlimited, but Texas in August is guaranteed to be uncomfortably hot for sleeping.

There are many motels near the Austin airport, about a 30 minute drive, and about a dozen in or near Bastrop, the nearest town, about a 20-25 minute drive.  No rooms are blocked out, but I kind of recommend Days Inn of Bastrop, 4102 E. TX-71, phone 512-321-1157.

Food plan:  Meals will be provided, starting with supper Friday and ending with lunch Sunday.  A contribution will be asked, and it will be moderate (but not yet determined).  Those who know me will be confident that I'm a little OCD about feeding people.  Any with allergies or sensitivities or restrictions please let me know your needs.  Menu will be American omnivore, mainly. You won't go hungry.  Breakfasts are planned to be Breakfast taco buffet and Saturday dinner will be autosear's famous chili/frito pie.  Other meals TBD.  If you've been to a Waco IBC you won't be surprised.

Directions:  Mail or GPS address is 248 High Grove Road, Cedar Creek, TX  78612.

From the unincorporated village of Cedar Creek, go southeast on FM 535 to High Grove Road, 4.3 miles.

Right (southwest) on High Grove Rd., 0.7 miles, to 248 High Grove Rd.  My house is not visible from the county road.  Private drive is marked by two black mailboxes on a galvanized pipe stand with yellow and black barber pole reflective tape on the verticals. 
GPS coordinates for this point:  30.0290N 97.4644W

Right (northwest) on private drive, about 500 feet, to just short of a black metal gate, which may or may not be closed.
Left onto my driveway,  wood-sided house and metal-sided guest house/shooting range/classroom building will appear!

Landline phone here is 512-303-1050, my mobile is 512-983-4265.

Sign up via the TIPS page on the forum.  Border-raiders are welcome.  Event boss will be Ghostring.  Call him or me if you have any questions.  LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!! O0   O0 O0

The Old Guide

Didactic just PM'd me. I'm tempted. Sounds like you might need a map guy and somebody who has walked the entire Battle Road. Isaac Davis the 9th lives in Maine and he has the Isaac Davis Musket. It is a French Charlevoix with a front sight. I may be able to get a picture of it and if I can't come down I can send it to Didactic. I have not been in Texas since I was a flight student in 1962.

The Old Guide. Yeah, I'm old and I was a Maine guide.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

didactic

Bump.

Check TIPS, lots of space left.  Should be a good time and very beneficial.

TxRebel

ALL ORANGE HATS PLEASE CONSIDER ATTENDING IF ABLE!!

RED HATS, NOT A BAD IDEA.  AT LEAST CALL YOUR ORANGE HATS AND ENCOURAGE THEM

GREEN HATS, COME AND BRING YOUR FLOCK WITH YOU!!!

Lets bump these numbers up yall.  Please call on your friends and encourage attendance.  I need your help on this!

YOUR HUMBLE STATE COORDINATOR
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Superheat

Texans and interlopers,

The History boot camp is this coming weekend.  All are welcome.  There is still some room. 

Number6 and I are very excited to come sample some Texas grub and talk a little history.  This should be a great time!

Please sign up and show up.  Even if you can't commit to two full day, we would like to see ya there.

Superheat.

Steck

And I'll be bringing the yes-it's-for-sale Auto Ordnance semi-auto Tommy Gun for anyone who wants to play with it.

BillJac

Got any pigs or yotes that need shooting for night time entertainment?
You aren't pro 2A if you only want guns for people who look and think like you.

Mercedes

So, Traci and I are heading for NE a zero dark thirty tomorrow.  Have a wonderful History Boot Camp.  I'm looking forward to hearing new iterations of the Strikes at future Waco and Ft Worth events.

Thanks, again, Ghostring for arranging this event.  Sorry that I'm not able to attend this year.

Debbie

BTW, Padraic has a network cutover on Saturday night starting at 11 pm, so he won't be attending the boot camp.  I'm not sure whether he sent a message to anyone or not.

AF5US

My wife and I were planning to come down from the DFW area, but we've just learned that our plan for someone to watch our children won't work. 

We're seeing if we can't get an alternate sitter for the weekend, and still see everyone there.  If that doesn't work out & we're not able to come, here are three books that I would highly recommend (in addition to the standard book by David Fischer):

1. The Road to Concord: How Four Stolen Cannon Ignited The Revolutionary War, by J.L. Bell.  I and other instructors have enjoyed this and found it valuable.  Focuses around the events of Lexington and Concord, and how four cannons in particular contributed to the match strike occurring there, as opposed to elsewhere.
2. The Minute Men - The First Fight: Myths & Realities of the American Revolution, by Gen. John R. Galvin.  This book is less about Lexington & Concord, and more about the Minutemen throughout the revolution.  Very good book to understand context & general realities of life.
3. Killing England: The Brutal Struggle for American Independence, by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard.  This is a fantastic book that deals with the well-known, and lesser-well-known, events throughout the Revolutionary War.  Really good to help understand what happened from beginning to end.  Very enjoyable read.  In my opinion it treats the events of Lexington & Concord too lightly, but that's why we have the book by Mr. Fischer.