News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed and rainy

Started by ThreadNLead "TL", June 05, 2018, 08:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreadNLead "TL"

Hey!! So I'm looking at this weekend's weather for the event and it's supposed to rain on Saturday. I know we do it rain or shine unless there's lightning, but how do we keep our guns dry during the event? I don't like the idea of my gun laying in the rain all day long. So I guess how does this work when it rains?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams
Super Trooper, forever in my heart.
First Patch: (was a) KD 10/27/18
Winterseed Patch: 11/11/18
Orange Hat: 11/11/18
"InfernoSeed": 7/20/19
Red Hat: 4/18/21
KD: 11/26/23
Morgan's Shingle/Star (prone and standing): 11/26/23

Superheat

LNT,

While you may be concerned about getting your rifle wet, I'm not worried about mine.  :)  Years before Appleseed I would have been over the top about keeping my rifle dry.  After years of shooting in all conditions, I am not.

What you need to be concerned about, when your equipment gets wet, is what you do when you leave the range.   The first thing I do when I get home is take care of the rifle.  Take the stock off, disassemble as much as I can, dry it with a towel, wipe it down several times with oil and run a bore snake. ( I usually use Remoil).  Come back in an hour or so and wipe it down again/hose it down with remoil.  Leave it out to dry all night.  Reassemble in the morning.

I have seen some horror shows if the rifle is left in the case overnight and not attended to.   :slap:

My $.02.

I'm interested to hear what others do.  Great question.

SH.

PS: mrsurplus says,"It never rains at an Appleseed"

maxwell

I don't worry about ARs or plastic stocked 10/22s at all, and we've had some damp shoots here in WA. As SH says, get the stock off, dry it, and oil it. The only time I've seen a problem is with a fancy, laminated 10/22 stock that got wet and bowed permanently. I don't recall if it happened during the shoot or after, but you could PM ThatGuy and ask him about it. I know he switched to a Magpul stock after that event.

TOMINCT

You can ask the shoot boss or line boss if covering your rifle after it is made safe is ok with them, usually not an issue. A plastic garbage bag works, a small tarp or pancho will do also.

If you can arrive early and choose high ground that may make a big difference. Don't use a tarp under your shooting mat or blanket, it works like a pan to collect all the available ground water in the area and wick up into your position and equipment.

No matter what you use, if a good rain happens your rifle will most likely still get wet.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

ThreadNLead "TL"

Ok....i'm just concerned because I'm borrowing my friend Ed's 10/22. "You break it you buy it" policy. And I just dont want to cause any damage or have to buy him a new gun!! I am very careful when using something that isn't mine. So lets just hope MrSurplus is right!!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams
Super Trooper, forever in my heart.
First Patch: (was a) KD 10/27/18
Winterseed Patch: 11/11/18
Orange Hat: 11/11/18
"InfernoSeed": 7/20/19
Red Hat: 4/18/21
KD: 11/26/23
Morgan's Shingle/Star (prone and standing): 11/26/23

B.C.

Dry and oil liberally right away when you get home. Do not leave in the case!

What are the two biggest threats to your rifles?

1. Politicians
2. Rust

"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

The Wolfhound

And do not forget to dry out the case!  Often overlooked and crucial.  After some wet Virginia shoots my house is quite littered with open cases in rooms with ceiling fans.  It can take a couple of days to be confident that they are totally dry.  There are clean dry rifles waiting around for their cases to dry out.

Laredo

I have been through many events in the rain.  You will be ok.

The only issue I have seen is with the Marlin 795.  The blueing on the barrels can get surface rust and pit.  I have seen it on a couple of them after rain.

I have marlins.  I keep WD40 in my range bag.  So, if rain is eminent - I spray WD40 up and down the barrel.  Never had an issue with rust.  WD40 was originally made to repel water.  It works great.  My barrels, though worn, have no rust!

Besides... if this equipment cant handle a rain, snow, mud and sweat... then I don't want it!  **)

Now, if I were borrowing from a friend that is a bit on the an** side, then you may want to have a conversation with him before hand.  You wouldn't want to jeopardize a friendship over a little rust.
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Nashville Stage

With 10/22s, pulling the barrel & action out of the stock is a piece of cake. It's also something that's done every time the rifle is cleaned, anyway.

As much as people like to trash on WD-40 as a lubricant (and with good reason), it's great as a water displacer.

You could cover the rifle during breaks, but if rains any other time, it's gonna get wet anyway. The rifle will be fine.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

KSFlatlander

Wax the metal and any wood before the event. Dry everything after.