News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lubbock. TX - May 19-20 2018

Started by Ghostring, May 20, 2018, 08:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostring

Lubbock!  Home of the Red Raiders, crazy West Texas weather ... and some folks that can just plain shoot!   :1luvu :---

No matter how you slice it, 41 Lead Farm is a fun place to have an Appleseed, even if the ground is dry and hard as bone.
Our crew consisted of myself and Scuzzy with Heretic, who really wrangled all the details for the shoot, our local Instructor (336) and ASRifleman, who was working on his PC1!

The one thing that was really amazing...just unbelievable...was the WIRE!

We were greeted that morning by 15 shooters, all excited to take part in an event that hadn't happened in Lubbock since 2012!
What we didn't know was just how special our group would be. 
This was a shoot filled with first time happenings, ladies and gentlemen!
Our shooters, with no prior experience, were natural trick shots!!!   :bow:
That's right!  The moment that we put the first redcoat up and yelled "Fire!", the topmost target support wire was struck, and the targets came down!  :--- :P
..."Cease fire!! Cease fire!! Cease fire!!  Unload and clear..."
Once the line was safe, our crew restrung the damaged wire and we started the hits count target again...
:--- TWANG!!! went the wire, taking out 6 of the right-side targets!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Fortunately, we were all in good spirits as the repair crew effected another repair (this time with 550 paracord!), and that one appeared to be bulletproof  ;)

This shoot minted 6 riflemen:
Gatlin shot a 213 on the ONLY AQT on SATURDAY!!!  Amazing!
Ronnie's 223 was beaten only by his 227 later that day!
Ethan and Jacob BOTH shot a 210 and were admonished "...never shoot that poorly again  ;)"  Both of them did better later!
Nate put up a very respectible 217!
Jeff was able to avoid the bath with a 211!

So, trick shots and 6 RIFLEMEN! Amazing!  Read about Dave later in Scuzzy's post!

:F
In Liberty!
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Jerry Hall

Howdy All,
Sounds like a very eventful Appleseed event to me.  ^:)^
Six Riflemen at on event in Lubbock I believe is a new record. :F :snipersmi :F
Congratulations to all of our new Riflemen and a heart felt thanks to all who showed up to support our Liberties.
Happy Trails,
Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

scuzzy

Well what a weekend. A bunch of firsts. At least for me.

Where to start? (Jim doing his pirate voice - Awwwk - what did the turkey do?)

One heck of a crowd. Close to one of the best I've seen.

6 patches out of 15 shooters.

Day 1 - Redcoats - first few rounds, maybe 4 or 5, and somebody shot the wire holding up the targets. Targets hanging on the ground now. Durn. Redo the wire. Start again. Dang - wire shot again within just a few rounds and targets dropping again. Either somebody just happened to hit the wire two times in a row or they are trying to show off.

Hot as blazes - 97 or thereabout. Big time hail/rain storm that night. Hail the size of golf balls.

Day 2 - Big Improvements. Lots of patches given. Tim, our new redhat, doing the Mary Poppins deal when a huge gust of wind made an overhead cover take off like Apollo 11. LOL - wished I would have had my phone/camera out at that point.

Weather - kinda cold. Windy. Pics attached. Yeah - it was only around 60 degrees but that's pretty cold to us here down South. So of course we were all wearing jackets if he had them. I had a long sleeve shirt and was freezing my butt off.

David, one of the shooters, started off Saturday looking like he was shooting a shotgun. New AR. Had never had a rifle before - just handguns and shotguns. Man did he improve. We started a new tradition - Most Improvement Over the Weekend. Gave him an Appleseed Coin, thanks Jim, after my speech during presentation. David went on to clean the redcoat on Sunday afternoon. You should have seen his smile.

Yall know about Lord Hugh Percy. He changed his mind about the colonist after the 19th of April. Well if he'd come down to Lubbock Texas on the 19th he'd have taken one look and packed his bags. He'd have gathered up his men. And he would have taken the next boat back to England that same day. The Rev War would have only lasted one day.

The Good: You ought to hear Jim doing his pirate jokes. Just the voice he does cracks me up. Awwk!

The Bad: Nope, nada, zero, zilch. Oh - our new redhat - I swear - looks like Lee Van Cleef from the movie The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. If Cleef (The Bad) was younger and skinnier that is. He's bad - as in good bad. And he did one heck of the 3rd Strike. Tim: I wasn't going to say anything about Pickering until you bought it up. heh. We'll put the green on his head in the future.

The Ugly: Jim maybe? LOL. Just kidding.

Let's see. What else? Two patches were given where they got 210. Jim poured water over their heads. And admonished them to never shoot that bad again.

Anyhow all around good shoot.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mrs. Smith

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)
Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)

@Ghostring, @scuzzy, y'all guys are both great instructors and beyond that, you both pour your heart into making sure the shooters hear the stories from 1775.  Thank you both for coming out.  But, without Heritic and ASRifleman, it wouldn't have been as successful as it was.

We did have a blast, in more ways than one, and on Sunday you could not have asked for a better day to be out there practicing and teaching marksmanship.  The shooters were incredible.

I have attached a hand full of pictures that were on my camera.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.