News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Questions about the August Appleseed in Guntersville

Started by PopeyesPappy, May 16, 2018, 12:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

I plan on signing myself, my adult step daughter and her new husband up for the August Appleseed in Guntersville, and I have a couple of questions about the second day of the event.

Both the daughter and the SIL have practically no experience shooting so we plan to bring 10/22's on Saturday for the first day of the event, but I'd like to get them some trigger time on the AR15's I gave them both for Christmas last year.

Is the shooting any different on day 2 than it is on day one? Is there any shooting past 25 meters on the second day? Would we have the opportunity to zero a different rifle on Sunday?

Thanks
Russ

Maximum Ordinate

Hi Russ!

Welcome to the Project Appleseed forum!  The Blue and Grey range in Guntersville is an excellent range.  We are grateful they host us.

QuoteIs the shooting any different on day 2 than it is on day one?
Most of the shooting at the Guntersville clinic will be done at 25m both days.  Shooting on day two will include some different drills & skills building exercises as well as qualification rounds.

QuoteIs there any shooting past 25 meters on the second day?
If students are ready on day two, we may be able to stretch out to 100 by moving to an adjacent firing line. 

QuoteWould we have the opportunity to zero a different rifle on Sunday?
We recommend sticking with the same rifle most of the weekend for consistency, but if you want to swap a rifle out on Sunday, I'd talk to the Shoot Boss.

I hope to see you and your family in August.  Drop me a note if I can help with anything.

v/r
Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

PopeyesPappy

Thanks, Rusty.

I used to be a member at Blue & Gray, but I haven't been out there in several years. It was always a nice range, and I understand they've made some improvements since the last time I was out there. I also attended an Appleseed there several years ago with my brother in law and enjoyed it a lot.

As for the kids, both of them can count the times they have shot anything on the fingers of one hand. Neither of them has ever had any type of formal training. I'd like to start them on a 22, but like I said I'd really like to get them some time on their AR's too. What I'd like to avoid is spending an extra $300 on 5.56 ammo if we won't be able to shoot it. I'm already footing the bill for this including buying a third 10/22 and some Tech Sights so we can each have one. I don't mind the spending the money. I just don't want to spend any extra on stuff we can't use.

Russ

Maximum Ordinate

Russ,

That's the nicest thing I've read in a while.  Glad you're coming back and entrusting us to teach your loved ones.

If I was in your shoes, I'd plan to keep them using 10/22s for most the weekend.  Maybe pick up a couple of boxes of ammo so they can try their new ARs for a bit on Sunday. 

We can also line you up with a loaner rifle, so you wouldn't need to purchase another.  If that's something you'd be interested in, drop me a private message.

v/r
Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

PopeyesPappy

That's what I'll plan on doing then.

Too late on the loaner though. I pulled the trigger on buying number 3 yesterday...  ;D

Thanks again

Mixed Metaphor

Russ,

I look forward to meeting you, especially after reading these posts!     O0
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama