News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

San Antonio, May 11-12 2018

Started by Ghostring, May 14, 2018, 05:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostring

Another beautiful weekend in the Texas Hill Country!

That's right!  This weekend 19 extraordinary patriotic Texans (and that's saying something!) gathered at LoneStar Handgun to partake in another glorious Appleseed! :F

The line was full, my Brothers, but the Redcoats weren't shaking in their boots that first morning...only one 400yd shooter (Roger) with a majority of our shooters unable to effectively connect at 100 yards...Oh, but they were mercilessly taken down the next day with 2 shooters completely clearing it and the majority accurate well past 200! Huzzah, Indeed!

Our intrepid crew on Friday consisted of didactic and A-Lister, who tag-teamed the first strike with didactic finishing the second.  We also had backpack9, who worked hard at all the positions, TxGizzer and (of course) Ghostring who finished off the third strike.  Our crew dwindled a little on Saturday, as we lost didactic and A-Lister and backpack9 had to leave early -- but we also got the help of PaleRider and Scuzzy! 
Everyone was glad to see the family Maloney come and shoot, Judd with his two sons and Grandpa -- especially when we learned that Judd very much knew what he was about, shooting a 213 on Saturday!  Huzzah!  The end of Saturday had several others knocking on the door with scores of 207, 203 and 197! 

Shawn, a Rifleman, was only able to come by the second day -- but what a second day!  He scored a 247 on the third AQT of the morning, surpassing even our own Two Wolves, who shot a 243!  Those two will be the first Distinguished patches earned at San Antonio, and the targets were a wonder to behold (Shawn's performance was extremely good, having dropped one point each of the first three stages.  His final stages were often PERFECT!)

The line was dominated by 10/22 rifles, with a 597 thrown in for good measure.  Our line also had four centerfire rifles on the line this time, with an AR-10 at the far end!  That's some firepower!  We had another treat as Paul L. attended Friday in period costume, and was able to describe what a working man would wear in the mid 1700s!  The benediction was held twice, one Friday afternoon, and again on Saturday, as we knew some of the party could only stay one day.

Alas, temperatures in the mid 90s on Saturday took their toll, and, even with cold water and Gatorade, we had some attrition starting at 2pm.  A small knot of dedicated door-knockers held out until 4pm, when we had to pack up and leave.  Altogether a fantastic event, and great fun for all!!
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

scuzzy

Quote from: Ghostring on May 14, 2018, 05:34:15 PM

Shawn, a Rifleman, was only able to come by the second day -- but what a second day!  He scored a 247 on the third AQT of the morning, surpassing even our own Two Wolves, who shot a 243!  Those two will be the first Distinguished patches earned at San Antonio, and the targets were a wonder to behold (Shawn's performance was extremely good, having dropped one point each of the first three stages.  His final stages were often PERFECT!)

As Rodger says: "We're Marines."

And they are both former Marines. I guess Marines are good for something after all. Not much else though.

And here's my fave pic from the Lone Star range attached. Lady Liberty can be one mean girl. Don't mess with Texans.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

cdhgold

I'm new to the forum and this was my 1st Appleseed but not my last. I'm already signed up for KD in New Braunfels in Oct and even got a "battlescar" from this event where someone else's brass had weak ejection on found bare skin where my shirt came un-tucked. However I stayed on rifle and muzzle never left safe direction plus I even got off a shot I think before the piece of brass was knocked off

my personal action report is below
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My primary goal attending this was to become more confident and competent Rifleman

That goal has been achieved in the absolute Spades. I will be attending more project Appleseed including a known distance Appleseed in October.

My new goal is to qualify as Rifleman and join the ranks of project Appleseed as a volunteer instructor because there is no better way to learn something then to teach it.

My best what was a 150. The primary item that kept me out of the hunt I believe was getting all rounds fired during the time limits
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See ya in New Braunfels
Christian, Dad, Husband, Pro-Gun 2nd Amendment supporter, Career Linux Geek (Fedora/CentOS/Redhat)

Ghostring

cdhgold,

I will absolutely attest to the fact that you kept muzzle discipline the entire time!
Not sure I've ever moved that quickly (wish I could have been quicker) to knock that brass off.
Soon as I saw it, I knew it would get 'cha. :P
Glad the cold water helped, though.  Now I have *5* situations to describe for Rule #1  ;)

Jim

Quote from: cdhgold on May 14, 2018, 07:07:39 PM
I'm new to the forum and this was my 1st Appleseed but not my last. I'm already signed up for KD in New Braunfels in Oct and even got a "battlescar" from this event where someone else's brass had weak ejection on found bare skin where my shirt came un-tucked. However I stayed on rifle and muzzle never left safe direction plus I even got off a shot I think before the piece of brass was knocked off

my personal action report is below
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My primary goal attending this was to become more confident and competent Rifleman

That goal has been achieved in the absolute Spades. I will be attending more project Appleseed including a known distance Appleseed in October.

My new goal is to qualify as Rifleman and join the ranks of project Appleseed as a volunteer instructor because there is no better way to learn something then to teach it.

My best what was a 150. The primary item that kept me out of the hunt I believe was getting all rounds fired during the time limits
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See ya in New Braunfels
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Two Wolves

Quote from: scuzzy on May 14, 2018, 06:35:02 PM
Quote from: Ghostring on May 14, 2018, 05:34:15 PM

As Rodger says: "We're Marines."

And they are both former Marines. I guess Marines are good for something after all. Not much else though.

Kirby, the saying goes---Once a Marine, Always a Marine.  My friend, you should notice that the word former is not mentioned.

After all Kirby, you earned your Rifleman's patch some time ago. So I beg to ask---are you a Rifleman? Or, are you a former Rifleman?

Please advise---Best regards---Your friend forever---The Marine--Rodger  :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

scuzzy

Quote from: Two Wolves on May 14, 2018, 10:55:00 PM

After all Kirby, you earned your Rifleman's patch some time ago. So I beg to ask---are you a Rifleman? Or, are you a former Rifleman?

Please advise---Best regards---Your friend forever---The Marine--Rodger  :cool2:

LOL - you got me there. I beg forgiveness. Not only are you and Shawn Marines you are both Texas Marines.  :beer:

And as you've told me - even the Cooks are Riflemen in the Marines.

I need a boot to my rear for that mess up.

BTW: Dang good shooting.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Mrs. Smith

Amazing numbers!!! 247?? Seriously?!?!?!  Dude,  I'm taking my measly little 231 and getting back to work!  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Great job,  y'all!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)
Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)

A-lister

Yes another great shoot. Even some guys from the old Fredericksburg shoot!  ^:)^ Grandpa, son and grandsons. Its always good to see families there. Thanks to all the gang that showed up to help out.  :F
We in America do not have government by the majority-we have government by the majority who participate......All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson