Author Topic: Cheek Risers  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Thaddeus

• designated Shoot Boss
Cheek Risers
« on: April 24, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions on cheek risers - we are thinking about some sort of custom-designed riser that would be available through the Appleseed store.

Suggestions? Ones that you like, or ones that you don't like? Or what would be your ideal cheek riser?

Post ideas here or send directly to Thaddeus.

Thanks!

Offline HammBone

• Instructor in Training
  • Ready. Send it.
Re: Cheek Risers
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »
1st Appleseed/Redcoat/Rifleman: April 20th, 2013 - Miamisburg, OH

"Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young." - Anonymous

"In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." - George S. Patton

Offline Mrs. Smith

• RWVA Instructor
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
Thaddeus, search "cheek riser for rifles" on Amazon.  You'll see a number of options in the $10-$20 range,  and most of them have a Velcro patch that could easily accept an Appleseed patch if you put Velcro on the back of them.  A bit more budget-friendly than Bradleys, if not as nice.
"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"I will accept the rules that you feel are necessary for YOUR freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert A. Heinlein

"I can kill you with my brain." - River Tam

Offline Thaddeus

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
Thanks, but I'm looking for specific suggestions - which cheek risers do Appleseeders like, or dislike?

Offline Mrs. Smith

• RWVA Instructor
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 06:25:27 PM »
Understood!
THIS one worked well on my AR - Laces on, medium height https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCK4P3F/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_h753AbYCP7ZTZ

THIS is the one on my hunting rifle - the scope required tall rings to clear the lens -   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZPX5B5/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_v953AbB78WFMK

And THIS is the one I loan at events for low rings that just need a little boost -  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FHJ2VM/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Ib63Ab3YJR72B

"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"I will accept the rules that you feel are necessary for YOUR freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert A. Heinlein

"I can kill you with my brain." - River Tam

Offline Kimber Custom

• Northwest Regional Coordinator
  • Senior Instructor
  • Northwest Regional Coordinator

Offline MCZplus

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »
1st Appleseed, 2015-10-03_Volga_IA
2nd Appleseed, 2016-09-10_Volga_IA
3rd Appleseed, 2017-09-23_Volga_IA
4th Appleseed, 2018-04-21_Lincoln_NE

1st, 2nd Rifleman, 2017-09-23_Volga_IA, 216, 219

Offline Savage22

• Instructor In Training 4
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 10:53:47 AM »
I've used this one and I'm happy with it:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/153569/beartooth-products-comb-raising-kit-20-rifle-model-buttstock-cover-neoprene?utm_medium=email&utm_source=service&utm_campaign=shipping-confirmation&utm_content=product-shipped-today-product-description-link

Comes with a variety of foam inserts so you can adjust the height. Stays put, won't slip on the stock. The only downside is that its a big pain to put on the stock to begin with. You have to stretch the neoprene cover over the foam without moving the foam.
It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.   
Samuel Adams

Offline Kennebago

• Instructor In Training 3
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »
Karsten-style. Saddle cheeckpieces are pug-ugly but they work.

I would prefer in all ways to have an integral riser and clamp system on my rifles, but they're another animal.

For smaller adjustments, or for "strap-on" solutions, Triad's modular stock pack works relatively well. It could be made of tougher nylon, but it's relatively good quality and it ships with enough Velcro to raise comb height a decent amount.
If you do not completely discard the mind, everything you do will be done poorly.

Offline airplanejoe

• Instructor In Training 2
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »
I'm on Kennebago's side. I too use Karstens. Very good kit, but understand that you will have to drill two 1/4" holes on your stock.
aj
"History doesn not entrust the care of freedom to the weak, nor timid."
President D W Eisenhower

An optimist stays up all night to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old one leaves.
Billy Vaughn

Offline The Wolfhound

• Virginia State Coordinator
  • Senior Instructor
  • Virginia State Coordinator. IBC Ramseur 8-17!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »
http://www.accu-riser.com/categories/Accu%252dRiser-Cheek-Pads-and-Comb-Raisers/

Great folks to deal with.  Buy direct and they cover shipping.  Their products can be found elsewhere but go direct.

Offline Nashville Stage

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 10:27:54 PM »
These are some great suggestions! Keep 'em coming; I like seeing the different options.

Personally, I like the Tac-Ops style of cheek pad/cover. It has a nice suede surface for your face to rest on, a zipper pouch for tools/ammo/DOPE cards, infinitely adjustable straps, 1/4-3/8" of padding for thickness, and it's fully velcro lined on the underside for adding additional layers to build up height. I like the quality & the lack of needing to drill into my stock for attachment hardware.

https://www.tacticalworks.com/TacOps-Cheek-Pads/
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/stock-hardware/cheek-pieces/rifle-stock-packs-prod31860.aspx
Here's a similar version: https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Stock-Pack.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:31:26 PM by Nashville Stage »
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Offline Kennebago

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »
Tac Ops / Tactical Works is hands down my favorite stock pack, big +1 on that.

Some of the Triads are convenient because they come packaged as a kit with strips for height, but the Tac Ops is better built.

Also, standard Tac Ops straps are generally long enough to fit over a Karsten, even with tall scope arrangements.
If you do not completely discard the mind, everything you do will be done poorly.

Offline Lomshek

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 02:32:56 AM »
It just about looks like Appleseed could spec some that would work better for what we need than are available on the market.

Ideally we need one that extends the riser further forward than most of the ones linked go to enable a good turkey neck.  Everything removable I saw linked places the riser way far back like the average bench shooter would use.

Features needed are quick on/off & adjustable (velcro straps), forward extended riser, non-slip inside, only increases height not width, 3 heights (1/4", 1/2" 1") or velcro on pads of different heights.

Look at where this lady's cheek bone is for example.  Way forward by her thumb.

Compare that to where this cheek pad is located.  Way back for a nice bench position.

A longer adjustable "tail" that wraps around the rear of the butt to let the pad move further forward would work but it might also need a stiffener under the riser because the front of the riser would maybe extend over the wrist of the stock.

Hope that helps.

Offline Mike AKA Bandaid

• Your enemy is training everyday. Do you?
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 03:09:47 PM »
I used this one from “Beartooth Products” last week. I liked it. It was adjustable for height, and didn’t move on me. It rained off and on, and didn’t seem to mind the rain. At $20 it was inexpensive, and seems well made.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Beartooth-No-Loops-Comb-Raising-Kit-2.0/productDetail/Stocks-and-Recoil-Pads/prod99999049626/cat100039
Known Distance Rifleman 07/2018
Morgans Rifleman 07/2018

Offline TallSteve

• Rifleman 5-29-16. Long Range 4-29-18.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:22 AM »
My wife just installed one of these on her M1A.  It applies easily without drilling.  It worked very well in our last KD event.  She obtained her Long Range Rifleman. 
https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/rg1000.htm

Highly adjustable. 
We then got some leather from the craft store and glued that onto the Kydex.  Makes for a nice adjustable cheek riser.  It also extends forward from the adhesion point and works well for Turkey Necking. 
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Offline azmule

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Southern Arizona
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
+1 on this $20 neoprene sleeve and foam spacers set - I've had one of these on my loaner scoped 10/22 for years, and just add/remove foam as needed depending on the borrower.

I used this one from “Beartooth Products” last week. I liked it. It was adjustable for height, and didn’t move on me. It rained off and on, and didn’t seem to mind the rain. At $20 it was inexpensive, and seems well made.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Beartooth-No-Loops-Comb-Raising-Kit-2.0/productDetail/Stocks-and-Recoil-Pads/prod99999049626/cat100039
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Offline Thaddeus

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded on cheek risers. We're going to take the best suggestions from everyone and work with a nationally-known vendor to put together an Appleseed cheek riser with the best ideas. Hopefully we'll have some prototypes by early summer.

Also, be on the lookout for a new product coming out in a few weeks - I think our Appleseeders will like it!

Offline DrRichP

• National Coordinator & AOC member
  • Southwest Regional Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »
Oh no, no more pipe foam and vet wrap?
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

“What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition.”  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Offline roswell

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »

I was about to say the same thing except; Pool noodles, duct tape and vet wrap.  ;D
Known Distance Re-Qualified:
Talladega, AL 12-3-16 (45/50)
Instructor Boot Camp:
Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15
Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16
Columbiana, AL 2-15
Canton, GA 2-18
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar:
Toccoa, GA 8-14

Offline Laredo

• Illinois State Coordinator
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • Illinois State Coordinator
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 06:12:01 PM »

I was about to say the same thing except; Pool noodles, duct tape and vet wrap.  ;D

Standard material in my shoot bag!
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being — food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That’s to adventure on life itself, one’s vacation from humble toil having commenced.” -Townsend Whelen

Offline AF5US

• Shoot Boss
  • 1st Rifleman: 04/2016; Most Recent: 05/2018
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 06:52:31 PM »

Riiiiiiiiiight.  Because every shooter, always, looks at the "How to Prepare" page - every single time  **)

How many slings does an instructor loan on an average event?  I think our "adapt, improvise and overcome" cheek risers will be safe for a long time.  O0
I don't need an inspirational quote.

I need coffee.

Offline Charles McKinley

• Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 07:25:34 PM »
And for the cost of one bought cheek riser I can get a year+ of materials, not worry about it not being returned and the student takes home a more functional rifle.

I may outfit a few of my personal rifles with an Appleseed cheek riser though.

When are the mats coming?
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Offline Lomshek

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 01:51:17 AM »

Riiiiiiiiiight.  Because every shooter, always, looks at the "How to Prepare" page - every single time  **)

How many slings does an instructor loan on an average event?  I think our "adapt, improvise and overcome" cheek risers will be safe for a long time.  O0

Ain't that the truth.  I just made up a batch of quick adjust slings with different attachment options so we can quickly outfit anyone who needs a sling without having to monkey around.  Should ed up with 15 or so total.

Offline Thaddeus

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 06:15:15 PM »
Answering Charles McKinley -

The mats are on order - since we asked for both some design changes and an Appleseed logo, it's taking a while. They hopefully will be arriving sometime mid-June.

Answering Lomshek -

Have you tried out the Appleseed sling connectors? I've got a couple and they get used every time I instruct. Work well.
http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/product81.html

Offline Charles McKinley

• Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 04:06:52 PM »
Thanks
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Offline Lomshek

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 01:21:02 AM »
Answering Lomshek -

Have you tried out the Appleseed sling connectors? I've got a couple and they get used every time I instruct. Work well.
http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/product81.html

Thanks!  Yes I've seen those and they look great.  I meant that I have a few slings with each of the common mounting systems like Uncle Mikes sling swivels and QD buttons plus a few that I just zip tie onto the rifle.  I like the zip ties because they don't come loose and they can hook into picatinny rails if the shooter has that.

Offline Mike AKA Bandaid

• Your enemy is training everyday. Do you?
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 12:12:14 AM »
One more suggestion. Whit loans these out for students that need a little cheek rest. I really like them too.
http://www.kyrifle.com/product-page/quick-weld-kydex-cheekrest-small-rifles
Known Distance Rifleman 07/2018
Morgans Rifleman 07/2018

Offline Valor

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »
Just got done with my shoot in Bonfield, IL and was wondering if there was a professionally made alternative to Laredo's solution of foam + wrap but realized it's a great option and can't think of a single riser I've seen that beats it out. The Beartooth adjustable riser comes close, but even that's not as good. The only downside I'm seeing is that it doesn't look as polished as a professional riser.

With the foam + wrap, you can file down the foam to your exact specification and shape it just right so that you have a customized pocket for your cheek to sit every time. It takes some work, but is individualized and could theoretically increase consistency. If you want to add or subtract on the fly you can just add more or less wrap layers. I use a standard 3 layers of wrap on my shaped foam piece so that if I lose or gain weight I can add or subtract accordingly.