News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

What's up in Vermont?

Started by The Old Guide, March 31, 2018, 09:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

I just saw on Fox News that the Vermont legislature has passed a law that would require background checks for private sales of all firearms in Vermont. Tat's bad enough, but it would also ban magazines that hold more than 10 rounds in rifles and 15 rounds in pistols. I have never seen a 10 round mag for an AR or an M1A.

Here's my question: Will this just ban sales of magazines or will it ban possession of standard mags? Your governor says he will sign the bill. Will the shoot at Proctor be for rimfire only?
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Guntuckian

PMAG makes 10 round AR mags.  They work well in my AR. I picked some up for around $12 each, on sale.  They even work well with the ammo spoons and stripper clips that come in the 420 round XM193 and XM885 ammo cans.

But, banning firearms for 17, 18, 19, and 20 year old citizens, as in Florida's new law, is unconstitutional.  Lawsuits have been filed in Florida.  Likewise, ex post facto laws that require turning in bumpstocks without compensation are likewise unconstitutional.  But, whether the cases ever are granted certiori by the Supreme Court is probably unlikely.

And, the banning of Geissele triggers is also problematic.  By lightening trigger pull, they increase the rate of fire and are banned by increasing rate of fire, technically falling under the bumpstocks ban.  My local sheriff won't enforce this law, but others in the state of Florida likely will.

We live in interesting times.

(BTW, yes, I did submit comments to elected officials/representatives prior to the passage of Florida's recent law, to no avail.)

-gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

VietVet

Welcome to New York!!
Or should I say welcome to the Northeast!!!
We've been dealing with these issues for a few years now.
The NY Safe Act just about destroyed the sport here.
10 round mags are now the norm. No pistol grips allowed, no flash hiders or muzzle brakes, no bayonet lugs, no collapsible stocks, no thumb hole stocks, no forward hand grips, no threaded barrels, ammo can NO longer be shipped directly to our homes. It has to be sent to an FFL and then you pay the FFL a fee to transfer it to you and I may be missing some other "Restrictions" shoved down our throats.
If you have ANY ONE of those features on your "Assault Weapon" it had to be registered or disposed of. 

NY was NOT the only State in the Northeast to be hit with these restrictions.
NY, NJ, CT, Mass, VT all have had MAJOR RESTRICTIONS placed on what is now considered "Lawful" and it's only getting worse.

Those restrictions mentioned do NOT only apply to AR's but to every semi auto rifle....yes even a 10/22.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Laredo

All I have ever used are pmag 10 rounders.  They are great.  You can get your elbow under the rifle with the 10's.  Thousands of rounds through them with no issues. 

Unless your in combat there is absolutely no reason for a 30.  I haven't touched one in years.   Now don't get me wrong, I am not lending my opinion as to whether they should be banned.   I am merely saying I think they are useless for our style of shooting. 

Every one is scooping up the 30's as it is becoming clear they will be banned.  Not me...  I'm scooping up the 10's!  Lol

We do indeed live in interesting times. 
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

AF5US

I don't agree with the new infringements, but for what it's worth - there are certainly 10 round mags for M1As as well.  I believe I picked mine up from Cheaper Than Dirt, but they're around.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

dwarven1

What happened is our governor LIED about not signing any new gun legislation. And Mike Bloomberg's money did the rest with the astroturf "Gun (non)Sense Vermont".

ONLY new mags are banned; existing mags are grandfathered but CANNOT be transferred or sold, or even inherited! There is an exemption for tube-fed 22s.

18-20 year olds may buy rifles and shotguns ONLY after passing a hunter safety course.

ALL transfers must go through an FFL - universal background checks. And bump stocks are banned.

Expect a court challenge once FlipFlop Phil signs it. I don't think it'll stand up against Article 16 of the Vermont State Constitution.

QuoteArticle 16. [Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil]
That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State--and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.

I'm expecting that the line in Proctor will be filled completely now on June 16th. Anyone want to come help?
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

The Old Guide

You will all be welcome if you want to move to Maine. Just one problem; You can't hunt on Sunday in Maine. You can't even shoot a coyote on Sunday in Maine.

BTW, I have a 4 round mag for my M-14. They don't come cheap. Our 5 round hunting rule for semi-autos includes the M-14 and it includes the round in the chamber.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

TomM1Thumb

living in interesting times. Is Supposed to be an Old Chinese Curse.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine