News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Preferred site when coming from the Austin area?

Started by buck000, March 21, 2018, 10:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck000

Hi, I'm looking forward to attending a PA event in May, and was wondering where folks from the Austin area prefer to go.

I imagine all 3 sites (San Antonio, Waco, CS/Navasota) are all fine establishments.

I'll probably stay the night near wherever the event is, so rifle-friendly hotel suggestions would also be greatly appreciate.

Thanks for any info.... :bow:

Ghostring

Hi, buck000!

The three locations are all great, but they're different in some ways.

Waco - We shoot at Waco the 3rd weekend of every month, mostly.  The Waco range has a covered, concrete firing line and doesn't allow Centerfire rifles (.22 only)
San Antonio - Friday/Saturday shoots only.  Centerfire rifles are allowed. 
College Station/Navasota - Saturday/Sunday shoots, Centerfire rifles allowed.  Can handle large groups (shoot is in a large field at Cawthon Cartridge Club), possible KD on Sunday.

If you're shooting .22, and this is your first Appleseed, I'd suggest Waco - very nice facility.
If you're shooting something larger, it depends on whether you'd like to shoot Friday/Saturday (SA) or Saturday/Sunday (CS).

Hope that helps!

GR

Quote from: buck000 on March 21, 2018, 10:10:26 AM
Hi, I'm looking forward to attending a PA event in May, and was wondering where folks from the Austin area prefer to go.

I imagine all 3 sites (San Antonio, Waco, CS/Navasota) are all fine establishments.

I'll probably stay the night near wherever the event is, so rifle-friendly hotel suggestions would also be greatly appreciate.

Thanks for any info.... :bow:
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

buck000

Thanks, Ghostring, for the quick reply and details.

I think I'll go with Waco, per your recommendation.

If anyone has a good hotel/motel recommendation, I'm all ears.

I'm looking forward to the instruction and history lesson.

All the best to "all y'all." :)

Mercedes

Good morning!

My husband and I are PA instructors and we drive down from DFW.  We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at the Lake Shore Drive exit (339?) and the Sleep Inn off Valley View Rd in Hewitt. Neither location gave us any grief when we brought in multiple rifle bags. 

We've recently started driving our motorhome down and have been staying at the I-35 RV Park south of the Ross Road exit (346?), about 7 miles north of the Lakeshore Drive exit.  There are several RV parks, but this one is 90% pull through and the owner's are very friendly and service oriented. 

Mercedes (aka Debbie)

buck000

Thanks for the responses.  I can tell already you folks rock...!

AF5US

Buck000,

Really looking forward to meeting you at one of our Waco shoots.

If you prefer a hotel, Mercedes' suggestions are certainly good.  Point of interest: If you're looking to save a little money and / or enjoy the outdoors, this range does allow camping as well.  The range is gated and normally locked (range members know the code to get in), and the gate is left temporarily unlocked for our Appleseed shoots.

If you want to camp and are planning on arriving Saturday morning, this would be no problem at all.  If you want to camp and would like to get a head-start and arrive Friday night, we'll just need to do a little advanced coordination.  I work nearly every Waco shoot, happen to be a range member & half the time I head down Friday anyway, so it really wouldn't be an inconvenience if this is the path you wanted to go with.

Just a little extra FYI for ya.

-AF5US, a.k.a. Jason
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

buck000

Jason, thanks for the suggestion.  I'm pretty much an old tenderfoot, so I'll be staying in a hotel overnight.