News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marriottsville, MD Mar 10-11 2018

Started by Vjornaxx, March 11, 2018, 07:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vjornaxx

Thank you to AGC Marriottsville for hosting another successful Appleseed! Thank you to the Mount Washington Gun Club for sponsoring us and providing us with the target backers!

Saturday started off cold but the clear skies let the sun warm up the line. We had 10 shooters show up in the morning. Roughly half of them took advantage of the range's centerfire policy. The first Redcoats showed us that these shooters were already a strong bunch - two cleared the Redcoats first thing in the morning! The day progressed at a steady pace. However, one shooter was cursed by the gun gods - she went through three separate rifles with three brands of ammunition and couldn't stop running into light strikes, failures to extract, and bolt overrides. Despite this, she kept a positive attitude and persevered. We were able to run one AQT on Saturday and had two shooter earn their patch.

Sunday saw 7 shooters return to the line (I think the change of clocks may have thrown some folks off). It was definitely colder on the line, but the shooters were rested and hungry for action. They got sighted in, practiced on some greenies, and were ready to crank out the AQTs before lunch. We ran a total of five AQTs on Sunday before students were ready to post up the final Redcoat. At the end of the day five out of seven shooters earned their patch (including the shooter cursed by the gun gods)! Those are some impressive numbers!

Everyone listened intently while I told the 3 Strikes and asked some good questions at the end of each strike. I love telling the strikes and I love the conversations that happen after each telling. This Appleseed was no different.

Here was the breakdown for the whole weekend:

M. Anderson - 239
C. Carter - 224*
E. Wei - 245
V. Armond - 227*
P. Gayler - 217*
C. Stracquodaine - 213*

*=New Rifleman

The following shooters cleaned the Redcoats to earn the Front Sight patch:

M. Anderson
V. Armond
E. Wei
G. Ge

E. Wei cleared the Redcoats on the same day he shot a 245 with an optic so he has earned a Distinguished Rifleman patch!

Congratulations and thank you!
"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true."

BeSwift

Holy smokes!!!  Figures I'd be out of state during a SIX rifleman class!  Outstanding job to all the students and instructors!!! 
BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Nashville Stage

Wow! That's some very nice shooting. Congratulations to the new Rifleman & Riflewomen!
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Texas T

Nice job by all. Congrats to all of our new riflemen!   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017