News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New guy with questions

Started by Fynn, March 09, 2018, 09:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fynn

I live in W-S, have been shooting and competing with pistols for a few years, but have just now begun to learn how to shoot a rifle and would like to join an outdoor range to practice. I will be signing up for a summer session of Appleseed (probably one in June) and will ask to join RWVA as well.

After reading info on the main website, I still have a few questions.:

*Does the RWVA in Ramseur have an open range that I can practice at if I join and pay the $175/yr fee? Or is that just to participate in special shooting events?

**Can I complete the qualification course of fire with a bolt action (5/10 rnd mag fed) iron sights only .22 rifle? Or will it be too difficult with the bolt action to complete the course of fire reasonably within the time limit?

Thanks

Mrs. Smith

I can't answer the membership/range question,  but I'm happy to tackle the other.

This can ABSOLUTELY be done with a bolt action. It is,  however,  a greater level of difficulty.  But I just came from an event a couple of weeks ago where an older gentleman qualified rifleman with a very respectable score with a bolt gun,  and it was only his second event. Practice getting smooth with the bolt and mag changes, amd you'll be that much better prepared.
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Ricochet Rabbit

My first Appleseed was with a Ruger American Rimfire with Tech Sights and it was a fantastic weekend. And rifleman score is well within reach of a bolt gun. Bring what you've got and the instructors will help you get the most out of it. I will say, however, that it's best if you have a military web sling installed. If you don't have one, you can pick one up pretty cheap from a lot of places online, including the Appleseed Store.

As to your first question, I'm in Ohio, so I don't know.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Fynn

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on March 09, 2018, 10:18:17 PM

This can ABSOLUTELY be done with a bolt action. It is,  however,  a greater level of difficulty.

Glad to hear it. Between the iron sights and bolt action, I am definitely expecting a greater level of difficulty but I will do my best and have fun chasing the dream ;D

Thanks for the encouragement  O0

Creakyknees

Fynn
Look forward to seeing you on the line in Ramseur this summer!
If you have any pre event questions just ask.

Creaky

Nashville Stage

Fynn, I'll add another welcome & encouragement that a Rifleman score is absolutely achievable with a boltie. While it requires more from the shooter, I've seen it done & done it myself many times.

Here are few suggestions that I found helpful:

Practice working the bolt while keeping your face on the stock & maintaining a good cheek weld. The idea is to reduce or eliminate the need to reacquire your sight picture each time after cycling the bolt.

Use a countdown timer at home & practice dry-firing the two rapid-fire sections of the AQT. That will give you a feel for the speed you'll need to get your shots off in time.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Thaddeus

The Ramseur range is used for Appleseed events, but to the best of my knowledge the general use of the range is no longer done ... at one time there was a fee for use by members of the range, but that is not the case any longer.

Fynn

Quote from: Nashville Stage on March 11, 2018, 12:19:21 PM

Practice working the bolt while keeping your face on the stock & maintaining a good cheek weld. The idea is to reduce or eliminate the need to reacquire your sight picture each time after cycling the bolt.

Use a countdown timer at home & practice dry-firing the two rapid-fire sections of the AQT. That will give you a feel for the speed you'll need to get your shots off in time.

Thanks, I went to an indoor range yesterday with the scaled AQT targets just to get an idea of sight picture. Went through the course of fire (standing, not timed) and tried to maintain cheek weld to work on cycling the bolt - good times. Heck of a lot harder than it looks - I will keep at it and try the home dry fire practice for sure. Thanks for the welcome and good advice :)

Quote from: Thaddeus on March 11, 2018, 01:05:10 PM
The Ramseur range is used for Appleseed events, but to the best of my knowledge the general use of the range is no longer done ... at one time there was a fee for use by members of the range, but that is not the case any longer.

I hope to find an outdoor range somewhat close that'll allow me to shoot from the different positions. Thanks for clarifying about the Ramseur range O0

Charles McKinley

Hi Fynn,

There are a few threads here, probably in the rifle knowledge area, on shooting score with a bolt.

Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Fynn

Quote from: Charles McKinley on March 11, 2018, 06:46:04 PM
Hi Fynn,

There are a few threads here, probably in the rifle knowledge area, on shooting score with a bolt.

Hi, Yes, found one started by Kennebago that really gave me some specific things to work on. Glad I found this site; really enjoying this journey ;D

Red Charlie 6

I am looking for any help that I can get.  I attended the 2 day the Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship Clinic at the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club on 9/16 and 9/17/17. I want to join the RWVA and received a form the bottom of which has a place where a signature would certify that I completed the clinic.  It was not signed by any of the instructors upon completion.  Do I just send it in without a signature??
I have sent multiple emails to  Stephen Mckee as well as the main office in Ramseur, NC. No response!!
Any suggestions?

DrRichP

Quote from: Red Charlie 6 on March 15, 2018, 10:56:13 PMI am looking for any help that I can get.  I attended the 2 day the Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship Clinic at the Charlotte Rifle and Pistol Club on 9/16 and 9/17/17. I want to join the RWVA and received a form the bottom of which has a place where a signature would certify that I completed the clinic.  It was not signed by any of the instructors upon completion.  Do I just send it in without a signature??
I have sent multiple emails to  Stephen Mckee as well as the main office in Ramseur, NC. No response!!
Any suggestions?

Red Charlie 6 please send an e-mail to kfoster@projectappleseed.net letting him know the date and location, and he will send you an attendance confirmation.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy