News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

First-timer for Fenton 4/21-22, a couple of Qs

Started by vinspee, March 08, 2018, 08:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinspee

Hi all!

I'm registered and (almost) prepared for the 4/21-22 event in Fenton. This will be my first appleseed - I'm really excited about it.

I have a Ruger 10/22 and several magazines. I have it pretty well set up with an extended mag release, modified bolt lock, poly bolt buffer.

I currently have a meh BSA .22 Special 3-9x Rifle Scope (https://www.cabelas.com/product/BSA-Special-Riflescope/748951.uts). It's fine, but I haven't shot with it enough to know if it will hold zero well (just using the rings that came with the scope). I think I'd rather order and use tsr100 tech sights to really learn on and hone my skills with irons.

Any suggestions there?

Additionally, I have an AR-15 and saw that this event is centerfire-friendly, should I bring it as a backup?

Thanks! I'm very excited about learning all I can from the event.

P.S., I'm driving from Detroit, 8 Mile & Woodward area. I'd be happy to give a ride to anyone who might want to carpool!
"if the power of government rests on the widespread acceptance of false indeed absurd and foolish ideas, then the only genuine protection is the systematic attack of these ideas and the propagation and proliferation of true ones."
  ― Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Democracy: The God That Failed

SteelThunder

What you have is absolutely fine and will certainly serve you well an Appleseed.  Make sure you have a GI web-sling or the ability to take one on the rifle and that's pretty much all you need other than a good supply of reliable ammunition.

While all of us love to talk about gear, the best thing you can do is worry about all the Soft Stuff. Are you open to new suggestions and open to learning? Do you have everything you need to sustain you through a intense weekend? The right clothing? Snacks and a chair to rest in? Notebooks and the ability to research stuff ahead of time? I'd focus on that as your rifle will do fine.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Caliper

Quote from: SteelThunder on March 08, 2018, 09:05:21 PM
Make sure you have a GI web-sling or the ability to take one on the rifle and that's pretty much all you need other than a good supply of reliable ammunition.

... Snacks and a chair to rest in? ...

Chairs, we don't need no stinkin' chairs! Seriously, I always forget mine and have survived :) Most people love theirs though.

You'll need a good shooting mat! The club at Fenton got a great deal (I assume) on all the leftover, ground up asphalt when Fenton rd was repaved several years back and dumped it on the range. So, large and chunky gravel. It's better with age, but it's sure not sand or grass. You'll really want a decent mat to shoot from. 1/2" thick dense foam padding, either in a purpose made shooting mat, or from the camping section at WalMart as your tastes dictate.

The only shelter at Fenton is the porta-potty and whatever you bring, so you really will be outside the whole day. For April, this means that rain gear, snow gear and sun gear may be needed all in one day...   ;D

Definitely do get the GI web sling and install swivels for it. Get the 1 1/4" width also. Yes, Tech Sights makes a 1" version to fit typical swivels. It puts more pressure on your arm. Wider is indeed better here.

Either the scope or the TS100 will be fine (yes, I like the TS100 over the 200 - it sits lower and adjustments are easier to make)  The biggest thing to consider on the scope will be eye relief and comb height. Once in the prone position (stretch your neck out also), we often see that your eye relief has shrunk and the rings don't let the scope go quite far enough forward in addition to having no cheek weld. If you have a cantilevered scope base or cantilevered rings, you'll be fine but the standard Ruger scope rail and regular style rings usually leave the scope a bit far rearward.
If you're thinking "that sounds like my scope" right now, there's your excuse to buy the TSR100 with your tax refund money! Don't be surprised if the cheek weld is a bit light after adding the Tech Sights, but a single layer of foam pipe insulation with vet wrap to hold it down is about right to fix that. The scope usually needs several layers to build the comb up to your scope height.

Whichever sights you settle on (seriously, either will work fine), be sure to put some sort of threadlocker on all the threads holding them on. I've seen more sights, rings and scope bases come loose than I have seen scopes fail.

Lastly, reliable ammo. You'll be shooting 400-500 rounds over the weekend. Best if they all work well. I prefer CCI, either Blazer or MiniMags myself. But whatever is reliable in your rifle and groups well. I'd actually trade off a bit in group size for totally reliable ammo.

vinspee

Thanks gentlemen!

I do have a Cotton 1 1/4 GI sling and a set of Uncle Mike's swivels on the rifle as well.

I'm definitely malleable on the "soft" things - I'm very much looking forward to learning all that I can, then putting the pieces together one at a time to make sure I'm practicing the right things.

In the meantime, I'll be sure to pick up a decent mat and to dress in layers. I'll likely end up going with the TSR100 tech sights, I'll drop some blue thread locker in there. I'll be sure to hit the range a few times before and see what runs well in my firearm and pick up a brick or two.

I've been doing a ton of research ahead of time and will continue to. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all of the help - see you in April!

PS: I'll bring a chair ;D
"if the power of government rests on the widespread acceptance of false indeed absurd and foolish ideas, then the only genuine protection is the systematic attack of these ideas and the propagation and proliferation of true ones."
  ― Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Democracy: The God That Failed

Superheat

Vin,
Some of the best mats are a thick chunk of old carpet 3'x6' or even bigger.  The commercial ones are fine too but pricey.

I know you are excited about coming, but doing a lot of research will probably just get you anxious. 

All you really need is a reliable rifle, items to keep you physically comfortable and a teachable attitude. 

Project Appleseed is more about software then hardware.  Meaning, just be a good student and don't over think the equipment.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.  I look forward to meeting you in Fenton.

Quote from: vinspee on March 09, 2018, 11:21:03 AM
Thanks gentlemen!

I do have a Cotton 1 1/4 GI sling and a set of Uncle Mike's swivels on the rifle as well.

I'm definitely malleable on the "soft" things - I'm very much looking forward to learning all that I can, then putting the pieces together one at a time to make sure I'm practicing the right things.

In the meantime, I'll be sure to pick up a decent mat and to dress in layers. I'll likely end up going with the TSR100 tech sights, I'll drop some blue thread locker in there. I'll be sure to hit the range a few times before and see what runs well in my firearm and pick up a brick or two.

I've been doing a ton of research ahead of time and will continue to. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all of the help - see you in April!

PS: I'll bring a chair ;D