News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Host range promo box idea - a test in Florida for now!

Started by B.C., January 18, 2018, 10:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.

Besides our volunteer staff, who really are the greatest advocates for the program and getting the word out? In thinking about that I would have to say our host ranges; the staff and owners - right? They see hundreds if not thousands of shooters pass through their facilities each week. I'm positive even the most enthusiastic proponents of Appleseed at these ranges do not constantly talk up the program like we would. What can we do to change that? I propose that we come up with a package to be given to every regular range facility that I'm calling a "Host range thank you promo box". This should be a package given to all our regular ranges - delivered and set up by the local shoot boss that typically has a relationship with the range staff. In the range promo box should be these items:

•   A large vinyl banner with the words "This range is proud to host Project Appleseed" with our website, logo and a challenge statement like "want to learn how to place 10 rounds in a one inch square" or something along those lines - the AOC will provide these banners
•   A healthy stack of redcoat and AQT targets for the range staff to hand out or display
•   Tri-folds and take away literature with plastic display holders
•   Several T-shirts for the staff
•   Stickers, pens and a bag a chamber flags to be handed out at their discretion to shooters

One can even think of this as a kind of shoot box for the range owner, right? I can imagine our banner hanging in the range offices all around the state in a highly visible spot all can see as they come and go to shoot. The cost of this would be negligible, the only new thing you would need to provide is the banners; we have everything else already as far as the "goodies" go. In my territory I SB at a few ranges on a regular basis, I know for a fact the facility owners would love this immediately and would be proud to have a large Appleseed banner and more stuff on display in their offices. Can we give this a go in Florida as a test project please? If so, we can spread the word of this and have the shoot bosses request a special range box for their perspective spots? What say you to this idea?

I have passed this idea along to the AOC and The Poet and I do believe he will be working on this very soon for the design of a banner.
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

PaleRider

This is a fantastic idea, and getting the range to actively promote us is a bit of an issue. Here in San Antonio, we do have the tri-folds prominently displayed in the acrylic holder at our range, and I have handed out t-shirts to all of the staff. They really liked that! They have also told us that they were going to offer beginning rifle classes until we showed up and told them we'd do it for them. I even got the son of the range owner to participate! I think the banner would go a long way if we can get it posted inside somewhere, but we'd be taking up sales space real estate. Probably have to do some schmoozing there. Hopefully they'd be more amenable to posting it outside, but the banners would wear out quicker. Can't wait to see the final product!
Tim
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

AF5US

Wow, this timing is fantastic.  I should have thought of this myself  :wb:

We're starting with a new range in Ft. Worth, TX next week - I was going to reach out today to catch up with the range owner.  I'm definitely using some of these ideas.

Thanks!  O0
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Heavyduty77

Excellent! This will go a long way towards promoting our program. I can't think of any reasons why it couldn't be implemented very soon.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." --Adolf Hitler, 1935

"Cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext, with the view of confiscating them and leaving the population defenseless." --Vladimir Ilich Lenin

"Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."                             -- Aristotle

Salt Water Shooter

I believe this is a great idea. In my experience, word of mouth is the strongest form of advertising. I feel this would be a win for Appleseed and a win for the range also.
"The company of just and righteous men is better than wealth and a rich estate." Euripides

heidiheidi

Super ideas. Costs little but gives back in a big tangible way and makes appleseed a visible priority.   :F heidiheidi
Heidiheidi :F

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

308LIBERTY

I know myself and some other shoot bosses have done all of the above. I've taken the leftover red shirts from April 19th shoots and given them to range staff the last couple years. As you mentioned, all but the new banner can be ordered in shoot boxes (even the plastic trifold holders, upon request) In our shoot boss manual (at least I think that's where I read it) it even mentions you can give a set of flags to a new range, as a measure of goodwill.

Our new range manager at Myakka actually asked me for a new banner/poster to put up in the office recently. They still have one of the posters we affectionately call the "Appleseed Mona Lisa" although the number of shooters is now outdated. It's still a great looking poster, but I'm willing to bet new banners are already in the works. If someone from the AOC could chime in and let us know when we can add new posters/banners to our shoot boxes, that would be awesome.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

PHenry

It's true that it has been done before, but never on a consistent basis and certainly not on a national, SOP - basis. If we got the banners in large quantity we could get a serious cost reduction, but that would require a national level effort. For now, it would be much faster to seek donations from the FL cadre and get it done to see if it works.

As Fred once told me - "Phenry, this is a results-based org. How hard you work is meaningless". Painful to hear, but when your goal is so lofty as saving a country, spot-on correct.

Let's get an approved banner and make it happen. You can count on me for $200 - maybe more.
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

falcon793

TheMenace

Brilliant! I believe it will work well in local gun shops, too. I have a couple that have graciously placed the "Madonna with AR" poster on their walls. The banner and kit would be well received and update our presence in the LGSs. Being retired I don't have the disposable income after taxes and ammo that PHenry has but you can count on me for a few Jackson$
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

B.C.

Let's hold on to our wallets for now. I am hopeful that the national level staff can have these banners designed and purchased for us to distribute at each of our home host range(s). 
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

308LIBERTY

While we are at it. Some kind of large decal with the logo could be used for a number of purposes, including direction signage around the range. (Some ranges can be a maze to find where you are supposed to go) While of course range signage itself could be produced, a large decal would be a lot more versatile, could be stuck on spare target backers for direction signage,  (arrows easily added on) or they could be stuck on other signage, doors/windows around the range, or even vehicles. Somewhere in the nature of 18 inches wide should do nicely for a limitless number of applications.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Minutemom

All great ideas - it seems like a no-brainer.  Let us know what we (the instructors) can do to get this going.

I like Three'oEight's idea of a larger decal.  We always need to put up signage at my home range to help students find our location, and we still have a few that get lost and straggle in late.  It would be nice to have a sign with our logo because it would be easily recognizable.
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

PHenry

http://freebeacon.com/issues/study-number-women-involved-certain-shooting-sports-increased-nearly-200-percent-last-two-years/

Another possible avenue for cost-effective promo. the fastest growing segment of shooters has been women for years now and we all know they are most likely to benefit from attending, as they are more likely to bring that all-important "teachable attitude". Perhaps an all-girl committee tasked with reaching out to some of these fine organizations. I know thus has been done, but again, perhaps not as consistently or as organized as possible.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ThePoet

I will be working in London next week and won't be able to get on the forum due to our security restrictions.  Thanks for the great ideas and support.  I've briefed the designer and hope to have some options ready for when I return from my trip.  Thanks again.

9mm4545

Great idea and one that should increase our visibility. I have made a standing offer to offer a free ticket to range owners or staff as they frequently turn out to great ambassadors for the program. Our biggest problem has always been promotion and this seems an easy way to increase our presence at Appleseed venue and hopefully fill the lines.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

rambo granny

Great news on banner!  :beer: This whole promo plan is what we needed all along.

Hope you all read the link Trey shared re women shooters up 200%.... 2oo%. !!! 😮😉
An organized plan toward reaching this group would go far in not only filling lines, but getting some orange hats who become full instructors.  Then there's the promoting that "mamas" will do in dragging out the family. Grow this fast growing demographic in gun sports & explode AS lines!
Here are some observations about working more effectively toward this goal based on experience from the Lady-seeds held in Fl to date..
Being a part of going from One LS a year to 3 last year was very rewarding, but challenging due to the small number of women instructors over the state. Those instructors also additionally work their regular area eventS. I personally now believe that using our Human Resources more wisely can produce faster results in this fast growing demographic of women  with a plan of quality rather than quantity. To explain:
Consider the typical students on a LS line. They are largely novice & as a general rule most of those take longer to develop the skills to achieve score. I would also be willing to bet the numbers would show more female than male for those rare first event riflemen. It's the listening,mteachable attitude thing.
Additionally simply continuing to increase the numbers of events per year can be tough on the small female cadre particularly when this involves longer travel. All FL LS to date have had male cadre help. As long as there's a lady SB or SBIT, & at least one other instructor doing the lions share teaching, the message that women can run a safe shoot & can teach, is delivered. What was apparent looking at AAR from the latest Palm Bay LS is taking that model a step further. By having very high Instructor to student ratio particularly with so many full Instructor guys, results went up. Remember, women tend to listen more as a group & having less bad habits & preconceived notions, many progress faster.
Sooooo, I am suggesting that rather than focusing on increasing numbers of LS events, concentrate on having higher Instructor to student ratios to move theses students along faster by increasing those who make score as a result of more hands on instruction. This, too,also puts less stress on existing women cadre availability who also work many other events.
As Bruce & I will be away for possibly somewhere around 6 months for a long delayed  bucket list trip, the women cadre will be one less during that time.
Finally,
1. work closely with Well Armed Women. I believe Raggin may have become their state head, she attended a LS in Orlando, & is Pro AS. ^:)^  Raggin is also NRA Pistol Instructor so undoubtedly has contact to that group as well.
2. Consider a L.S banner or at least a poster.
3. It is high time to do a new Ladies event t-shirt....loose the flower logo paired with word Ladyseed which really sounds like a garden club.  :sb: Please think about term "Ladies of Liberty" & a logo with Molly Pitcher at cannon, or Prue Wright w musket.  :snipersmi
Color is big deal for this one. I would like to offer help as I have had experience with women & warm/cool skin tone colors. With women, it's not just about a neat color, but how they look in that color. If they like it & they look good in it, that piece of advertising will be worn more often! ^:)^
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

minnesotarabit

Great ideas, all, and RG, I agree that color is important. Women are not going to wear desert sand or olive drab for the most part. I think the poster update could be done with a sticker that proclaims the number with an "!" after it to update the Mona Lisa's so we can use them up. A banner would be great...how about let's kill two birds at once and get the artwork for the Battle Road teaching banner done, and use it as an reduced picture with the Thank You on it. That way we have the artwork and source to get the BR banners to teach from (which seems to be the Holy Grail) and a consistent speaking piece for AS.

I will also be out for much of the year, maybe two, due to joint replacements, unless it is a race like Orlando where I can get to the line in a wheelchair or with limited rough ground and holes. So, to RG's point, we will need to have help to make sure LS run smooth.

As for the name, I personally like the Garden Club (lol) as I do not want to be labeled militant militia. I put up with enough of that crap already.

mr
the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

Charles McKinley

For directional signs the "red hits count KD targets" with an arrow on them work well.  You could put "Appleseed" on the arrow to make it more obvious.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery