News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Racine, WI January 13th, 2018 AAR >> Winterseed

Started by BrightSparc, January 14, 2018, 08:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrightSparc

No pre-registrations. Per Wisconsin SOP, instructors show up in case of walk ons.  No walk-ons.

No surprise as the temperature was 5 degrees.  With the full value wind we had, it was easily -15 to -20.  Everything froze - and fast.  This includes 10-22 rotary mags!!

Rather than waste a trip to the range, the four instructors who showed up did AQTs to keep warm.

Theokestral  >> 222
IronMike >> 220
Mista Luthor >> 219

BrightSparc

pictures

DrRichP

DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

JustaShooter

Outstanding!  The organization should be proud to have you all as a part of the cadre! 

That is a great opportunity to test one's equipment in extreme conditions.  I've not shot in conditions quite that bad, 18o with light wind is the worst I've experienced in an Appleseed.

Huzzah!
Christian, Husband, Father
Rifleman

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Headspace

Hi all, just wanted to share a cautionary tale for all who shoot a Ruger 10/22.  This would also apply to other similar rifles.  My Rem 504 is of a similar design.

I showed up to the event with a scoped 10/22 that was already dialed in at 25 yards and has proven to have acceptable accuracy in the past.  This gun isn't going to shoot the wings off of a fly, but normally it is good enough. 

During sight in time, the gun was shooting a few inches low, and so I just wrote it off as cold weather and adjusted for it.  After the first two AQTs, my POI seemed to get lower.  Also, I just seemed to be fighting the gun all day and could never get dialed in.  I wrote that off as the mental part of shooting, it was bloody cold and I must be losing my sharpness.

Once I got home, I figured out that the action screw on my 10/22 was loose.  Like waaay loose.

If you have never looked, the 10/22 is a very simple design.  There are 3 points of contact between the metal parts of the gun and the stock.  1) The metal action mates to the stock at the very tail of the action.  2) The barrel touches a lump in the stock near the fore end.  3) The 'action screw' (actually a bolt) pulls the action downward into the stock and locks everything into place.  As you crank more and more on the action screw, you deform the barrel and action ever so slightly which will push the muzzle upwards a very little bit.  This is by design...But be aware that your point of impact will move up and down as you change the torque on that screw.  It may move in a perfect vertical line or it may move in a bit of an arc.

If you ever notice your POI is sliding downwards you may want to check your action screw. However, for best consistency you will need a torque wrench in your range bag to bring your POI back to the same place every time.

I WILL BE ADDING A TORQUE WRENCH TO MY RANGE BAG!!!

Headspace

Hi.  Just wanted to give an update on this topic and a nice trick I was able to figure out for an addition to my Appleseed range bag.

Several companies make small preset torque wrenches for use on carbon framed bicycles.  (In the old days of steel frames you could just tighten everything 1/8 of a turn past way too tight, but if you do that with a carbon frame you tend to destroy expensive parts)

These are sold under brand names like "Park" "Bontrager" "Giant" and "Ritchey".

I got one off of e-bay for $12.  A picture is attached below.