News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Impulse Buy - Will it work for AS?

Started by Ricochet Rabbit, February 05, 2018, 03:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet Rabbit

So, as I've mentioned in another thread, I've begun shooting some sporter .22 CMP matches to keep in practice. I am scheduled to shoot one this coming weekend, and I wanted to try my Ruger American Rimfire with Tech Sights. Thus, I removed the scope, mounted the irons, and went to the range to get it sighted in. While at the range (which is also a gun store) I happened to notice a Ruger American in .308 hanging on the wall and marked down for clearance. Yeah, I bought it.

The new rifle is very similar to the Rimfire version I own. It's got the same 22" barrel and the stock is similar. It has the same trigger as well, a trigger that I happen to like a lot. Obviously, the bolt throw is considerably longer, and it also has three lugs. Even the magazine is rotary, just like the .22's.

The down side? Well, for starters, that rotary magazine only holds 4 rounds, posing a considerable obstacle to AS shooting. Furthermore, the barrel is an extremely light-weight profile.

Overall, though, I was happy to have a new rifle in something bigger than a 5.56. When I got done sighting in the .22, I took its big brother home and mounted the scope that I had taken off of the rimfire. It's a cheap Bushnell 4-12x40. Luckily, I had mounted it on the .22 with Weaver bases and rings, so, I was able to slap it on with the same hardware in no time at all. Then I returned to the range.

The selection of ammo at the range wasn't extensive, nor was it cheap. Since it was the first time shooting the rifle and the range was only 25 yards, I just grabbed three boxes of reloaded ammo from Midwest, as it was the cheapest.

Mind you, this is an indoor range. Still, they'll pretty much let you shoot anything, as long as it doesn't have steel in the projectiles. The guy that set me up was joking about the expected response from other shooters when I touched off that .308 indoors. As for me, I doubled up on the hearing protection.

Now I have to admit: It's been about a decade since I've shot anything bigger than a 5.56. As such, even though I know the .308 ain't exactly an elephant gun, I was shaking like a leaf when I dropped the hammer on those first couple of rounds. And the groups show it. Of course, as I continued sighting in, the groups tightened up a bit (first picture below and top of second picture). However, the accuracy was truly abysmal. Nevertheless, I got it grouping fairly close to POA and did some offhand shooting (bottom half off second picture).

As an aside, with regard to the recoil, did you know that Uncle Mike's sling swivels are pretty darn sharp? I did not, but I do now. That front swivel nibbled at my left index finger the whole time I was shooting. Gonna have to smooth that up somehow, or come up with a better swivel.

At this point, there are too many variables to say for sure what the problem with accuracy is, but the crappy ammo certainly does not help. During the course of 56 rounds, I had two stuck cases. The first I was able to jiggle out at the range. The second had to be removed at home with some light taps from a cleaning rod. I suspect that the ammo in these two instances was loaded too hot, because the primers appeared to be much more flattened than other cases from the session (third picture below, top two were stuck, bottom two were not).

Also, that light barrel sure did heat up fast. I mean, it's not like it was glowing, but you sure wouldn't want to touch it after even just two shots. Couple that with the flimsy plastic forend, and it's not exactly a recipe for precision. My next step will be to get ahold of some quality ammo and hit the 100 yard range to see what's what.

As to the capacity, I'll eventually look into a CDI conversion. They claim to be able to do the conversion with the as-issued stock, as well as with the Boyd's stocks. Not sure which one I'll choose at this point. I actually do like the standard stock, even though it is pretty flimsy. The two rifles are shown in the fourth photo.

Oh, in case you wondering, I did indeed get the rimfire sighted in for 50 feet with the peeps (fifth photo). You know, since that was why I went to the range in the first place  :whistle:
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Charles McKinley

Hi St8,

Try spray foam to stiffen up the stock.

Glue a strip of wet dry sand paper to a paint stir stick and you should be able to ease the sharp edges of the swivel.  A few wraps of vet wrap would work too.

Never heard of the CDI conversion.  I would put a couple rapid fire stages through it and observe the change in POI as the barrel heats up.  No point in throwing $$ at it if it will not be able to make use of the added capacity.

Palmetto State Armory has Federal 7.62x51 on clearance for $10/ box of 20.

Latter,

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Corvette

As to the loads being hot, you normally see bulging primers from over pressure loads.  I didn't see anything on the primer picture that indicates the loads are too hot.  But, what do I know.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Charles McKinley on February 05, 2018, 07:52:01 PM

Try spray foam to stiffen up the stock.

I may eventually give that a try, depending upon how it shoot with decent ammo. I've also heard of people using body filler. If the performance warrants it, I may even try my hand at glass bedding the stock, something I've never done, but sounds like a rewarding project.

Glue a strip of wet dry sand paper to a paint stir stick and you should be able to ease the sharp edges of the swivel.  A few wraps of vet wrap would work too.

Yep, those sound like some good solutions. I was thinking even maybe just some electrical tape.

Never heard of the CDI conversion.  I would put a couple rapid fire stages through it and observe the change in POI as the barrel heats up.  No point in throwing $$ at it if it will not be able to make use of the added capacity.

It's pretty expensive, so I will definitely do some more shooting before making that investment. The magazines aren't cheap either (I believe the conversion uses AI mags).

Palmetto State Armory has Federal 7.62x51 on clearance for $10/ box of 20.

Thanks for the tip, I ordered some to try out when I get back out to the 100 yard range. That's least expensive ammo I've seen. I'm gonna order some Gold Medal Match as well I think, and maybe a couple other offerings with a variety of projectiles.
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Corvette on February 06, 2018, 02:01:38 PM
As to the loads being hot, you normally see bulging primers from over pressure loads.  I didn't see anything on the primer picture that indicates the loads are too hot.  But, what do I know.

Corvette

Honestly, I can't recall experiencing stuck cases like this before, so I can only go on what I've read. The primers in those two cases seem to have a sharp edge like they've been flattened against the bolt face. The other primers have much more of a radius. But, I don't reload and I've never experienced excessive pressure before, so I am just guessing right now. If I shoot better ammo through it and the problem persists, I'll have to assume it's the rifle and not the ammo. For now, that ammo was definitely not great, so I'll reserve judgement until I get some quality stuff through it.

Twineagles

There are lots of YouTube videos on stiffening up synthetic stocks. Look up Axis stocks. Some even use an expanding concrete product called Roktite in forearm.

Mike
Every time I teach a class, I discover I don�t know something - Clint Smith

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. � John Wayne

Nashville Stage

Quote from: St8space on February 05, 2018, 03:52:30 PM
As an aside, with regard to the recoil, did you know that Uncle Mike's sling swivels are pretty darn sharp? I did not, but I do now. That front swivel nibbled at my left index finger the whole time I was shooting. Gonna have to smooth that up somehow, or come up with a better swivel.

If you're looking for an alternative, I like the Titan (not Talon) sling swivels from The Outdoor Connection. They're very rounded & smooth, plus the retaining pin doesn't have a locking collar or stiff spring that you have to wrestle with each time you want to undo it. The pin simply has a recess in each end that engages with an internal spring detent to hold it open or shut. Just press on the end of the pin, and it slides over. It's really nice when you're attaching & detaching the sling all day. That might help with your finger injury, too. The swivels are a few bucks more than a generic set, but I think they're worth it. You can get them direct from the manufacturer (https://boytharness.com/product/titan-qr-sling-swivels) or from Optics Planet, though it looks like they only carry the 1-1/4" in silver/grey.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Ricochet Rabbit

Quote from: Nashville Stage on February 08, 2018, 09:50:38 PM

If you're looking for an alternative, I like the Titan (not Talon) sling swivels from The Outdoor Connection. They're very rounded & smooth, plus the retaining pin doesn't have a locking collar or stiff spring that you have to wrestle with each time you want to undo it. The pin simply has a recess in each end that engages with an internal spring detent to hold it open or shut. Just press on the end of the pin, and it slides over. It's really nice when you're attaching & detaching the sling all day. That might help with your finger injury, too. The swivels are a few bucks more than a generic set, but I think they're worth it. You can get them direct from the manufacturer (https://boytharness.com/product/titan-qr-sling-swivels) or from Optics Planet, though it looks like they only carry the 1-1/4" in silver/grey.

These look really nice. I have to get another set anyway (the others are borrowed from the rimfire), so I think I will give these a try. Thanks for the tip.

Ricochet Rabbit

Upon close examination, it was obvious that the forend of this rifle was touching the barrel. It appears warped. So, I took some sandpaper to it today. As soon as I get some ammo together, I'll get it out and try it at 100.