News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Alice, TX December 9-10, 2017

Started by Ghostring, December 11, 2017, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostring

An excellent shoot at the Jim Wells County Fairgrounds in beautiful Alice, Texas!

We had a full house (16) register for the event, but weather conditions of the night before (SNOW!) may have had an adverse effect on attendance.  Nevertheless, 9 hearty souls ventured out into the frozen tundra extraordinarily fine shootin' weather to get a super-sized portion of Heritage and Marksmanship!
Our crew ran the gamut from young to old more experienced.  We had some prior Appleseeders, some new shooters, and a few experienced military men from near and far.  A father brought his son from the valley, and was convinced to stay and shoot!

And what a Saturday to shoot.  Saturday was jam-packed with portions of prone, servings of sitting/kneeling and a heaping spoonful of standing.  Stirred with the passion of our forefather's heritage, the one AQT feast of the day served to make one ALMOST rifleman score, and a few more knocking at the 190's!

Sunday dawned clear and bright, the chill in the air tempered only by the fire of our shooters.  The embers of freedom burned in our crew as we set our sights on the target of liberty!

Our first AQT of the morning saw a new Rifleman (Riflewoman!) forged, with Suzanne topping her previous day's effort with a solid 218!  She'd go on to shoot a 215 and a 231 (and accept an Orange Hat!) before the day was done.  ^:)^
Dakota, one of our brand-new shooters, wanted to learn on an iron-sight loaner on Saturday.  It was a struggle for him, but he improved dramatically by the end of the day.  On Sunday we lent him a scoped loaner -- and he shot the black out of the targets!  Another shooter missed Rifleman with that same loaner by 10 points -- the first (and only time) he used it!  You'll get it next time, Matt!
Randon (visiting from North Carolina) and Young Andy (of the Andy and Andy father/son squad!) had their first experience with Rifles.  Both ended Sunday within shouting distance of the prize with scores in the mid 170s.  Our military men did an outstanding job with their iron-sights, coming closer and closer as the day finished.

Everyone enjoyed the shoot, the history, the camaraderie, and the venue -- all will be back next time!

All in all, this was an excellent shoot at Alice, the best one yet, and we'll have more to come next year!
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

Two Wolves

Hey! I recognize that smile! Way to go Suzanne!  :~
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Ghostring

Quote from: Two Wolves on December 11, 2017, 05:58:55 PM
Hey! I recognize that smile! Way to go Suzanne!  :~

She was super excited to get that monkey off her back!
Hope you can join the fun next time  O0
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

A-lister

Yes what a great two days! We had a great group of shooters from all over. Jim and Chad thanks again for coming down and giving your valuable time to support this shoot. :bow: And thanks Mike for letting us use the range! The word is getting out and folks are signing up. :F A great big congratulations to Suzanne for focusing in and getting that Riflemans patch and putting on an orange hat! And Chad you are almost there! The red hat is within your grasp! Great job with the history and all points of instruction. keep up the good work. What a wonderful organization and what fine people to associate with.
We in America do not have government by the majority-we have government by the majority who participate......All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

PaleRider

Love it! Congrats, Suzanne! Can't wait to see you in San Antonio! Chad, keep it up! We'll have you a red hat in no time! :)
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

AF5US

Sounds like a great weekend, team!  O0
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)