News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAFG Annapolis, MD 2-Day Appleseed November 18-19, 2017

Started by Cold Warrior, November 21, 2017, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Warrior

The weather was cold and windy for the six (6) shooters that showed up at the Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG) Conservation Association in Annapolis, MD, for a 2-Day Project Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship Clinic. 
The group was half experienced Appleseeders, and half first-timers.  After the introductions and safety brief, we did the first Redcoat target, and we were excited to see everyone on paper... and pretty close!  We then moved right into prone Steady-Hold Factors (SHF) and putting sighters on the Squares target... and WOW, great progress on this eager group!  After some history at lunch (First Strike / Students were very into the history and really engaged) we got back to marksmanship training - moving right into Standing and Seated/Kneeling SHF on the Grenadiers (Green Targets) as this group was ready for it.  We noticed their trigger-work was very good, but ran the "Hold the Trigger-back" drill anyway, and their seated groups were fantastic... all six of them! One of the shooters (Gunnar N) had an old Ruger 10/22 with old factory sights that were not adjustable, and he was 8 MOA low and 8 MOA to the left... but utilizing some "Rifleman's Dance / Kentucky Windage, was still putting up pretty darn good groups!  As instruction wrapped up, we moved into our first Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT). 
First-timer Zack K put up a 213, and Jeff P re-qualified with a 215.  Great start!
We then did our last Redcoat of the day, and Connor S cleared his Redcoat!
Sunday morning dawned even windier than the day before.  After the refreshers on safety and a quick sighter, we ran the "Card the Sights" drill, and I could not believe my eyes!  Three of the six shooters had all five shots still on paper!  I repeat, 3 of 6 with 5 shots on paper (and the other 3 with at least a few shots on paper)... exceptional.  This group was really doing good with Natural Point-Of-Aim (NPOA)! 
We told the Second Strike, and then felt we were ready to go into the AQT grind, with six AQTs all-told on Sunday (Lunch break with the Third Strike).  Jeff P backed-up his previous day's Rifleman score with a 220 and a 225, great shooting.  Zach K backed up his score with a 210, 214, and another 214. Solid. Gunnar N borrowed a rifle, and shot a 219, and 221, nice going!  Connor S, who had cleared his redcoat the day before, seemed stuck in the high 180s, and then broke through with a 230! Wow, great score.
We had one Riflemen re-qualify and three new Riflemen join the MD list!  Yes... that's four (4) out of six (6) shooters achieved Rifleman scores! That pretty much "smoke-checks" the national average, great job shooters!  And, the two shooters that did not score rifleman were close.  Ray S is bound & determined to do it with his Savage Bolt-action, and Kayla N, after switching to a loaner, had a fantastic 1st, 3rd and 4th stages of the final AQT, but had a bad jam on stage 2 and only got two rounds down-range, and still scored a 189, I think she would have made it, not for the jam... hope to see Kayla back on the line soon, along with all these other fine shooters!
Huzzah!
Thank you very much to our host range, the Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG) Conservation Association.  Check out their website http://www.aafg.org

And last but not least, many thanks to my fellow instructor Aninha (and we had a brief guest appearance by MD State Coordinator and SB, BeSwift).  Our RWVA staff's hard work, and professional demeanor made this a safe, fun, and very successful shoot.

:F
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

Cold Warrior

Pictures (More pics coming).
"The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor and Success of the Appleseed mission, and the safety of our bleeding Country depend. Remember citizens, that you are free men and women, fighting for the blessings of Liberty; that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like Riflemen." ~ GW & Fred

Cold Warrior

A group of Americans that know very much what they are about...
Huzzah!

Cold Warrior

:F

Cold Warrior

:snipersmi

Cold Warrior

:---

Cold Warrior

John Adams ~ Posterity… "You will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."

PatriotDoc

Thank you Dave and Ana for a truly fantastic Appleseed event.  I've been to a few of these now and that was one of the best presentations of the events of April 19, 1775 that I have heard.  The map really made the telling more vivid and memorable.

Great instruction, and a well managed line.  Safety first always, and you two did a wonderful job.  Thanks for watching my trigger control, in particular.  I continue to learn at every event, and I have noticed that my shooting improves and is becoming more consistent.  That is the effect of you instructors. 

Thanks also for getting us so many AQTs.  The more shooting, the better, particularly when combined with instruction.  I have been to one weekend Appleseed event where we shot only three AQTs, and I came away disappointed.  You guys did not disappoint.

You and Ana made quite a sacrifice coming all the way from Southern Maryland.  That is impressive, and I am deeply appreciative.
Thank you also for the many pictures.  Even analyzing photos of oneself is instructive, whether it is the shooting position, posture, cheek weld, or trigger finger placement, the photos are particularly helpful.  And it's visual reminder of the great group of people we were with.

We did indeed have a great group.  Impressive that Zack drove three and a half hours to this event.  I asked him at the end if it was worth the drive and he said it most certainly was.  Godspeed also to Gunnar and Kayla in their journey with the USMC and US Navy.  It is reassuring to know that young people of such caliber are serving, and I am proud to call them countrymen.

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime in the future.  Maybe at a KD shoot?!!!!