News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Azusa CA Morgan's Company (Rimfire KD), 18-19 November 2017

Started by Rocket Man, November 21, 2017, 08:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

Real gem of a shoot last weekend in the San Gabriel Mountains.  In honor of Daniel Morgan, we held our sixth? Rimfire KD shoot at Burro Canyon.  This is a little different than your average Appleseed -- there you'll learn all about the proper technique for steady, accurate fire, but at this one we focus intensively on the skills, fieldcraft, and science behind shooting at considerable distances.  The skills are complementary.

Why rimfire?  Well, if you want to learn about how gravity and wind affect a bullet's trajectory, it only makes sense to choose equipment that amplifies those effects, and if it's cheaper too so much the better.  Also we get in a lot more shooting, since we spend less time walking.  Not that I'm against hiking or anything.   ;D

Seven brave folks joined us, some from far-off Bakersfield, about half of them already earning their Rifleman badge but now left to wonder, just how far can we go?  The answer to that is very far indeed, and definitely out beyond 100 meters!  We started up the class with a thorough module to learn our rifles and particularly our sights, and the fact most students were putting down 4 MOA groups or better even then was music to this Rifleman's ears.   :1luvu

With the rifles sorted, we next turned to the environment:  Estimating range, predicting its effects, and actually measuring.  We did have one scope start refusing to cooperate about this time, which happens; other than that it all went pretty smoothly.  Smooth enough, in fact, that we got two Rifleman scores on the very first AQT of the weekend.  Pretty amazing stuff.

Sunday gave us time to work on crucial skills, notably calling the shot, and also let us practice working with a spotter.  This all got done just in time for the field exercise, where the students were faced with an army of mutant citrus, and hurried to repel the onslaught.  The crafty rotten limes had snuck up on us, with sentries at 75 meters, and the main force cleverly concealed at about 130 meters... though we could hear them chuckle if we were quiet, thinking they were out of range...  Well, they weren't.  Rimfire or not, sour pulp was soon flying up and down the line.   :---

About the only thing I might ask for in this shoot was a little more wind.  The infamous gusts of Burro Canyon obviously went on holiday early, but apart from that, it was all good stuff.  How good?  How does three repeating Riflemen and three others literally a sneeze away sound?  Of those who just barely didn't make it this time, two were shooting bolt action, and the third, alas for Brian, abruptly lost confidence and trust in a second scope after it decided to vamoose, rail and all.   :-[   But the targets lay in tatters.  General Morgan would be proud.

Thank you all for sharing your weekend with me!  Enjoy some Appleseed pie this week, wherever you are, and I'll see you at the next one.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

Placeholder for pictures.  I have some but it'll have to wait until after the break.

Enjoy the holiday!  Practice those six steps!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)