News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco, TX Nov. 18-19, 2017

Started by AF5US, November 20, 2017, 12:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AF5US

Wow - what an event!  Several instructors remarked that this shoot, in particular, was one to remember.

This was a private shoot for local Trail Life boys.  Trail Life is a Christian organization focused on outdoor skills (similar to Boy Scouts).  We had youths from approximately 6th through 12th grades represented, plus a few fathers / troop leaders, for a total of 24 shooters.  Many of the shooters had been to Project Appleseed events previously, but we did have a wide range of abilities - everything from brand-new shooters, to some pretty sharp marks.

Thanks to the fantastic instructor turnout, we were able to separate the newer shooters on one side of the line and give them some more personalized instructions.  Several of them made significant improvements in their targets.

During this event we had THREE new riflemen!  One rifleman scored very well on the first and fourth rows, but became flustered and frustrated on the third row.  He missed out on four rounds, and a few others at the second stage were misses.  The fact that he STILL earned Rifleman was a FANTASTIC talking point to his peers, who were becoming frustrated with the shorter times on the second and third rows.

Our second new riflemen also shot three of five shots from Carding the Sights directly into the small target, and definitely earned the respect of his peers.  He then came to us on his own initiative, and asked for an Orange hat.  Forum username is pending!  ^:)^

Our very own Richard D. Jones, who puts in countless hours at the Waco range (and helped me significantly by heading up Friday night to make sure equipment was ready) was promoted to Red Hat.  HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!  :F

Last, but not least, the Project Appleseed instructors were honored to be invited to join this group of young men around the campfire Saturday night.  Several national and Texas flags were set to be retired due to age & wear, but a flag was first passed around to each member as he briefly described what the flag meant to him.  The Trail Life leaders graciously invited the Project Appleseed instructors to join in this ceremony.  There was more than one man that found themselves choked up during these young men's thoughtful answers . . . I think it may have been the campfire smoke  ;)

This, ladies and gentlemen, was one event to remember.  Instructors, please feel free to share any images you may have.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Mrs. Smith

Jason,  that sounds absolutely wonderful.  Truly a singular experience!  Well done, gents!

And to my IBC partner in crime/ training budding Richard D. Jones,  HUZZAH!
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Nashville Stage

Huzzah & congrats, Richard! That's awesome!

Congrats to the new Rifleman, and welcome to our newest IIT!
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

paul.rome

Congratulations Richard on achieving your Red Hat.

Thanks for all that you do in making the Waco events successful!

scuzzy

This was a GREAT Appleseed. The kids were polite, well behaved, and just all around good kids. What really impressed me was the flag retirement ceremony when each of the young men gave their thoughts on what the flag meant to them. Wow! They had some deep thoughts on it and man does that give me hope for the future.

This was one Appleseed I'll never forget.

A new Orange Hat, a new Red Hat, and one more SBit for Jason and we'll have a new Green Hat.

And thanks to all who came out both instructors and students.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Gugisman

What a pleasure it is to serve alongside other, like-minded Americans!  :F

Thank you, once again, to the board (especially Kevin, Richard, and Richard) and members of the Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club: http://ctrpclub.org/, for hosting and promoting youth shooting sports events, for allowing our Trail Life USA troops to camp on site, and for donating .22lr ammunition to all youth shooters!!  ^:)^  ^:)^

Another big thank you goes to Waco Tactical Fitness: https://www.wtfbiathlon.com/, for contributing free ammunition and loaner .22 rifles to youth shooting sport events, such as this private Trail Life USA http://www.traillifeusa.com/ Appleseed!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!    ;D

Eric Inman ("Gugisman")
Troopmaster, Trail Life USA, Troop 19:1
Denton Bible Church
Denton, TX
https://dentonbible.org/

Link to images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tmd01FQGFcHaWpdD3
The right to freedom is the gift of God Almighty....The rights of the Colonists as Christians may be best understood by reading, and carefully studying the institutes of the great Lawgiver and head of the Christian Church: which are to be found clearly written and promuligated in the New Testament.
― Samuel Adams

TxRebel

Great shoot and a great weekend.  As promised here is a link to my dropbox photo album of this and past shoots for those who are interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1wnmsvp9fipz1cf/AACbJ5bEzW4SIQcLypTaVMP0a?dl=0
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

Richard D. Jones

I posted this to Face Book after our November shoot. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Appleseed weekend! This one rocked! 3 Riflemen Patched and one of the 3 accepted an orange hat. This was a group of "Trail Life" Boys with whom I'm always impressed. The respect shown to adults, drive and determination, and willingness to learn are just a few of the attributes these young men possess. Spirituality, love of country, and the ability to assume responsibility are seen in these our future men. I am honored to have served in teaching them their countries beginning. History, Marksmanship, and Education. The spirit of America still lives and breathes. "Behind every blade of grass".

" The Cadre was Awesome! Thanks to all!"
"A Man's Pistol is used to get to his Rifle"

RaggedHole

I posted this on Facebook Saturday night after the campfire an really meant it:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"With so much hate and negativity seeming to flow through the media these days is seems so easy to be overwhelmed with it all.
This weekend however we had the honor to host a great Trail Life troop at our monthly Appleseed shoot here in Waco, TX and as I am falling asleep, am truly inspired.

After a long day of instruction and shooting we were invited to share their campfire and share stories as well as be there for a very special "flag retirement" ceremony. When a US Flag has become tattered and torn after a long tenure of service US Flag code dictates the flag be respectfully and completely incinerated. Before the flag is unfolded and draped across the fire and consumed though the troop passed it around to each troop member, leader, and dads who were present to talk about what the flag means to each of them.

Hearing these young men of the Lord share their thoughtful and touching responses was nothing short of amazing... From all walks of life and nationalities, stories of hope, liberty, freedom and enduring tales full of tears, sacrifice, and an overwhelming sense of pride flowed as the old flag was passed around one last time.

The care and reverence these young men of God showed throughout was well beyond their years and completely heartwarming. Stereotypes were shattered as immigrants told stories of the hope that that flag held as they endured to come to this country for a better life alongside veterans, law enforcement, and proud and involved Americans.

From the youngest troop member to the oldest leaders among them, the dignity and respect they showed throughout the weekend was a beacon of hope for the future.

Faith in humanity restored!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a personal note, my heart was really moved towards Christ on Saturday night. I grew up in the church and went to a Christian college but man my heart has been hardened and jaded to him for more than 10 years. Hearing those amazing stories and witnessing the way the boys and leaders conducted themselves and care they had for not only the flag but each other and love they shared in Christ was incredibly moving. It struck me that every good and perfect gift comes from him, and that night was so good and so holy it truly softened my heart and gave me so much hope moving forward.

In passing the next day, I let Eric know how moving that was and he found me later on and asked me if I wanted to know if I would want him and another one of the Dads to pray with me during lunch, and for the first time in maybe forever I wanted to. During lunch Eric, Adam [Isaiah and Josiah's Dad], and Bones talked with me and helped me ask Christ into my life.

The brotherhood of that weekend is more than I could have asked for. Along with a great time instructing on the line, teaching IMC for the first time, seeing Bones get his Red hat, and really just feeling the love, I just couldn't have asked for a better weekend, ever!

Since moving here y'all have been so welcoming and awesome, thank you for everything. I am very proud to be a part of this special group and will be forever grateful for the friendship and brothers and sisters I have made here.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

Ragnar Delta

That's awesome, RH! Amen!

I also always enjoy the Trail Life events and had a great time with the group of instructors present, as well.

Congrats, Richard Jones on your Red Hat, Huzzah!