News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR- November 17-18 2017 Lewistown PA Instructor KD

Started by StevenK, November 19, 2017, 07:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenK

The KD that was almost a Winterseed...

Location:  this event was held In Lewistown Pa at the Mifflin County sportsman's association. Many thanks to this club for rental of the  500and 1000 yard lines to set up and hold this event.

Set up day: we held the range on November 17th 2017; sgtRock drove through the night to secure the range at 6:30 am and do the initial set up on the 500 yard side.  Tominct and Parallax showed up mid morning.  State Coordinator Josey Wales (NY/NJ) Grumpy1, Boru, Razor 63, Mk1765 and WhyWon joined Sgt Rock thereafter.  We got the line completed with steel out to 1000 yards on that side at about 300 pm and resumed shooting until the sun sunk too low. The weather was beautiful in the set up day and we did get a lot of shooting in throughout the day and before dark.

The best part of this event is the Italian dinner on the night before the qualifications.  Everyone was tired, though, and several people wanted to go to the hotels and sleep.  It's a long ride to get here, so we understand- thankfully Boru thought up an ingenious plan to get everyone to dinner- he locked his keys in the car on the range, so we all decided in brotherly fashion to wait for the tow truck guy....somewhere in this waiting everyone got hungry and a group went to secure the tables for dinner (a good move led by Whywon because of the Friday night crowd); meanwhile, Grumpy1 and Josey Wales met and convinced the suspicious tow guy that there actually WAS a stranded motorist several miles into the woods on this dark night. The poor tow man may have thought this his last job, but he did his duty, opened Boru's car, then sped off  alive and well (yet before Josey got a chance to tell him the Three strikes).  The remaining men then joined us at the restaurant after a short time-in the end Boru's ingenuity brought everyone together at the restaurant and we ALL joined in an excellent meal before the event.  Great job BORU!

Qualification Day: 11 made it to the event with JamesT, MrPainless, and NavionPa arriving before sun-up. A few pre-regs were unable to attend due to different and pressing circumstances. The weather for the event was cold (32 in the am, 40 later)  with constant and hard rain throughout the day. Hypothermia warnings were given and the shooters wore their wet weather gear all day. Still, exposure occurred. The rain usually fell at its hardest when the shooters went down range. These situations make for good training and re-assessment of our gear.

The usual SOP to get downrange and return ASAP was certainly modified- the mud and conditions urged more caution and therefore time wasn't as important here-nevertheless, the shooters got their dope and returned without delay. We therefore had a smooth and well oiled operation with no delay or mishaps. In the end there were 4 AQT cycles and five qualification/re-quals. We did have time for more shooting but everyone was exhausted-weather took a toll on the shooters; normally we run more cycles but at the  4th AQT the SB took a vote and all decided they had done enough shooting for that day. The shoot boss called it a win and moved toward closure. We then set a nice pace in going about the range breakdown, policing, and benediction.

The day went as follows:

7:30 sign in.
8:00 SB opening comments
8:09 to 9:15 SgtRock instruction.

9:30 first sighters
9:35 - 9:44 check targets

9:47 second sighters
9:50 to 10:00 check targets

10:03 third sighters
10:06 to 10:15 check targets

10:16 to 10:23 Extended prep time given/sight adjustment

10:23 fourth sighter
10:27 to 10:38 check targets

10:41 fifth sighter (all distances out to 400)
10:46 check and change targets for ROVERACE RULE compliance (first AQT NLT 11:00). Downrange clear at 11:04 for start of first AQT

First AQT called to prep at 11:04
Start 11:07 end 11:28
Scoring and lunch till 12:37 (including MK1765 hot soup)

Second AQT 12:38
Downrange 12:59, return 1:17

Third AQT 1:23
downrange 1:42 return 2:00

Short break till 2:10

Fourth AQT
Start 2:11
****Shoot Bosses Note**** at this point I observed that the shooters were "done." After the second stage on the fourth aqt I observed that there was an evident need for a short break.  We had a hot coffee (thanks to sgtRock) and shooting resumed with the fourth stage finished at 2:39.

Before downrange, participants were given the option to keep shooting, but unanimously declined on more AQTs.  The shooting portion of the event closed After a brief "open range time" session.

Breakdown
Breakdown of steel and targets started at 3:00 and concluded at 400, and we had a good talk at the Benediction about Appleseed, the future of the event, and what is next to come. 

QuAlifications:

Parallax 39, 34, 33
Grumpy1 35
Mr. Painless 33
Boru 33
MK1765 32

All others had close calls and near misses with good work on this range day.  All had fun, all picked up something, and we all went home happy but very tired. Thank you all for attending.

Finally-Thanks from all of us to MK1765 for her hot chicken soup cooked at this event. This was served in a chow line by MK1765 and Josey Wales to a crew of hungry shooters. Nothing better than hot food on such a day; It reminded me of the military ranges during my tanker days (M48A5s) when,  in the best of foul weather, 1SG Joseph Iungerman ("Top") of the 50thArDiv, 2/102 Company B always emerged from the cold darkness in his quarter ton (Jeep), helmet and BDU while covered in a drenched poncho. It was always miserable, but he would give us hot soup and bread from OD canisters - we were always grateful. For that moment all was well, and we were all at home on the range.

Day ended / event closed at 4:30
Ranged cleared 5:04 - shoot boss locked gate and secured range.

Thanks from SgtRock and I to all shooters for attending this event.

StevenK, Shoot Boss

MrPainless

Thanks to all involved for the great fellowship, instruction, and cameraderie. I hope this event can continue in the future. I know I can clean all the targets!
Hot lunch was awesome on such a cold and dreary day!
Mrpainless

Josey Wales

Thank you kindly to StevenK & Sgtrock for these Lewistown PA KD events are top notch. A lot of work goes into planning, paying, setting up, teaching, and clean up for these events. We all appreciate what you guys do for Appleseed. I had a great time and would have rather of been no place else in all of time, accept for Heaven behind the pearly gates perhaps, and Amen to that..

..Strenght & Honor, Josey Wales..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

TOMINCT

This was a very good event to attend. The weather made it interesting, at times the fog/clouds would drop low enough to obscure the 400 yd target line and threaten the same at the 300. Overall some very good shooting was accomplished under very poor conditions.

A big thank you to StevenK and SgtRock for setting this up and running it, it is a great shoot to attend if you've not fired at distance and it will give you insight on the teaching and operation of a well run KD shoot.

Thank you gentlemen.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

navionpa

I just want to thank Steve and Steve, for another great shoot.

Once again, thanks for putting on the event.

david

Parallax

I appreciate the effort that StevenK and SgtRock had put into creating this event and giving me the opportunity to participate. It was a very well run event that I was able to pick up valuable data from. Also, being able to meet you all was priceless.

Boru

^:)^
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

Grumpy1

Big Thanks to Stevenk, and SgtRock for organizing,and running another Great Event at Mifflin County Sportsman Assocition.  O0

Instruction was quick and intensive, but definitely got the job done. Steven K showed determination keeping us on schedule, making the first AQT at 1100.  We  were allowed to gather our data prior to this, on our own, and at all ranges, which worked very well.

The weather on the other hand did not cooperate, cold and wet to start the day, which made trips down range time consuming, due to slippery conditions. But Riflemen persist and prevail!

Thanks to MK1765 for the Hot Soup (carrots were fine), and Sgt Rock for Hot Coffee :bow:

This was a Great Event, very nice meeting everyone, and hopefully we will be back next year.

Maybe even the tow truck guy.... %)

Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

sgtrock

Thanks a lot Guys and Lady. It was a very rewarding weekend, funny, crazy good times and exhausting. Well worth the trip to meet new people and see old friends.
Certainly hope we can do this again shortly, it's very addicting.
Congrats to all who accomplish what they set out to do.

It's nice to have a good range day to work on equipment and oneself, many things get done when you set a goal for yourself.

Hope everyone got home safely.

It was a pleasure to be of service to all that were there.

sgtrock

MK1765

Maybe next time, I will take soup requests  ;D   Good Times, good friends, good shooting.