News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX November 18-19, 2017

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, November 16, 2017, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Eight shooters showed up Saturday morning November 18th for the latest College Station Appleseed!

Weather was really nice for the most part. It was overcast on Saturday.

On the way to the range we found out the hard way that the main road that leads to the range was shut down entirely for road repairs - apparently damaged by Harvey. We had to travel about 10 miles in another direction to gain access to the range.  :2t

I have often emailed the preregistered shooters prior to the shoot to tell them to look for a red barn next to the range entrance road. Friday before the shoot I did the same.

I would attach this older photo to the email to help shooters identify the range entrance.

Once we got to the range we discovered the red barn was missing entirely. Someone did a fine job of removing it.  :wb: This is the current photo.

Despite the hindrances and delays TT92 and myself got the ball rolling.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Getting started...

Hmmm...

Instruction

It was a blessing to watch TT92 and his daughter - henceforth known on this forum as Devil Pup (USMC reference) - to demonstrate together

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

The sun finally peeked out.

10 year old Tina diligently put her father through ball and dummy. She would look at me with a mischievous smile when inserting the magazine into dad's rifle. She did a fine job of it.

Wind was very heavy throughout the day. We did not get to shoot and AQT Saturday, but frankly I was glad that we didn't with the wind knocking everything about.

With the Final redcoat done...

We called it a day.
Ladyseed Man Slave

Sunday was much colder, but the wind had subsided a lot. All eight shooters returned!

We got started...

Team T demo'd standing.

Ladyseed Man Slave

TT92 and I each had loaned out rifles to shooters.

At one point shooter Mallory reported malfunctions and the fact that she was no longer printing on paper. I shot the rifle - my own loaner 10/22 - and I got the same results.  #)

So, I pushed a cleaning rod and patch down the bore and near the chamber I hit what seemed to be an obstruction. It required a lot of force - eventually it disgorged a "lead sleeve". The rifle had never had this problem before. Weird. After it was cleaned Mallory's husband Sam shot an AQT with it and scored 188!

On Saturday this chunk of lead came out of a Marlin loaner rifle. We could not determine why. The rifle functioned fine.

Ladyseed Man Slave

TT92 and I were very glad to have such an attentive and SAFE group of shooters.

While no one made a Rifleman score, each shooter imporved significantly. I was especially proud of the new shooters who had never fired a rifle prior to this weekend.

Ladyseed Man Slave

scuzzy

Sounds like a good shoot. That's weird about the chuck of lead. Never seen that before.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Rev.357

Have you been able to get the Marlin to a bench and visually inspect the barrel?
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.