News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marlin 795 Advice

Started by daniel17319, October 17, 2017, 01:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel17319

Hello,

If any of you all follow previous posts, of mine. i built a appleseed training rifle. I ran into a problem wanted to ask some of you how to fix these problems. 1st off i can't zero my rifle because, the front sight bottoms out and I'm without adjustment. I was thinking about filing the front sight down till i get a 25 yard zero Shoot a few rounds file etc. Also when i was trying to get a good sight picture, i didn't care for it much because when i looked threw the rear aperture all i could see was the front sight post. I would like to be able to see the whole thing like a normal sight picutre on a M4 or m16. Can i open the rear sight post up a little with a drill or something. Thanks

Kennebago

Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien

DrRichP

Hi Daniel,

I have a Marlin 795 LTR with TechSights, so I will try to answer this question with the caveat that I'm really not a Marlin 795 guy.

I have not really run into the problem you're having. I actually had the opposite problem. If the front sight bottoms out and you're without adjustment, that would mean your bullet needs to go UP to match the point of aim.

My experience was the exact opposite and I had to order a taller front sight post so my bullet could come down to to match the point of aim. Back to your problem.

If you are using the TSM200 (and I assume you are) please make sure the rear aperture of the sight is raised up as far as it will safely go without coming out. Raising the rear sight will raise the impact point of the bullet in the same was lowering the front sight will. A combination of the two should help.

Remember the moniker FORS: Front-Opposite, Rear-Same.

That is, the Front sight gets adjusted the Opposite way the bullet needs to go (i.e., if the bullet needs to go UP to match the point of aim, the front sight must go down - Opposite) and the Rear sight sight gets adjusted the Same (i.e., if the bullet needs to go UP to match the point of aim, the Rear sight must also go Up - Same)

I hope this helps.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Nashville Stage

Here are a few things you can look at:

- Try mounting the rear sight as far to the rear of the receiver as possible. The further back it's mounted, the larger your view through the peep hole will be. Conversely, the further forward it's mounted, the smaller your view will be. Please see the attached photos.

- As Rich mentioned, try adjusting the rear sight up. Elevation is adjustable in both the front and rear sights on the TSM200 model. Raising the rear sight will raise your point of impact on the target.

- Also, try adjusting where you rest your cheek on the comb of the stock. Lowering your cheek on the stock will raise your view of the front sight.

Once you're able to get a good sight picture, do some test shots & adjust the sights as necessary to zero your rifle.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

daniel17319

I didi not know you could do a elevation adjustment with the rear sight, i adjusted the front sight as much as humanly possible up and down but there is not enough adjustment as it stands. Yes they are tech sights.. Ill see what i can work out tonight.

DrRichP

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Charles McKinley

I suggest painting every other detention on the elevation adjustment to aid in seeing if the knob turned the whole way.  Finger nail polish works and comes with its own applicator.

I also use a small screwdriver on my Leatherman to turn the knob.  I think the "tool" for adjusting it is a pain to use.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

drifter52

Daniel-
I agree with everything that's been suggested so far - its all good advice.

Some Tech Sights models are made with the elevation adjustments at the front sight post, but Tech Sights TSM200 for the Marlin are made with the intention that all windage and elevation adjustments be made with the rear sight.  So I suggest you first ensure that the front sight post is installed all the way in/down in the front sight tower assembly.  Do this by loosing the screw on the front of the front sight tower assembly with an allen wrench, pushing the post all the way in, then retightening the screw.  This will position the front sight post for maximum elevation (remember FORS).

Make sure the rear sight assembly is installed as far back on the top of the receiver (meaning closer to your eye).  This will give you maximum sight radius.

Take the rifle to the range and fire a few tight groups, keeping your aiming point on the center of the bullseye, or whatever your aiming point is.  Where the groups impact will indicate how much windage and elevation adjustment you need to make on the rear sight adjustment knobs.

The elevation dial is under the rear sight aperture. Turn it clockwise to move the point of impact up.
The windage dial is on the right hand side of the rear sight housing.  Turn it clockwise to move the point of impact to the right.
For the TSM 200 model sights, for both windage and elevation, each click of the dials equals approximately 7/8 MOA, or just under 1/4 inch at 25 yards.  This info is posted on the Tech Sights website.

I've attached a copy of the Assembly Instructions, which also include adjustment instructions.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.