News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Niles, MI October 7-8, 2017

Started by SteelThunder, October 09, 2017, 09:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

The weather held in MI and we had a productive wekend of liberty and marksmanship!

Graywolf and I tag-teamed instructor crews because of personal conflicts but that didn't keep our shooters from soaking in history and marksmanship skills.   :F :snipersmi

Everyone was repeat AS-ers and it showed.  Dustin came out swinging and qualified 2X on Saturday, with a 2X repeat on Sunday, using a takedown 10/22 with Tech Sites (see? It can be done!).  Andrey posted great scores as well.  Joe requal-ed on Saturday, showing he still has it.

Sunday came bright and sunny, and Amy and Paul stepped up to qualify Rifleman!  Congrats!  And Amy -- thanks for taking an Orange Hat...now pick a name and get to work!!   >:D ;D

Thanks for the great discussions at history breaks and for your great fellowship.  Look forward to seeing you all again.

:pics:

ST2
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Takedown

Thanks, SteelThunder.  This is Dustin.  I had a great time this weekend.  Thanks also to all the instructors! 

This was my second Appleseed.  Both were good.  This one had a different feel though.  For one, I knew what to expect.  The procedures and drills were familiar.  The group was also much smaller, allowing more time for interaction with the instructors and a more relaxed feel.  I know larger groups of students make more efficient use of time and resources so I'm sorry your turnout wasn't better.

I look forward to coming out again in the future and hopefully bringing more friends and family along.

SteelThunder

Can't wait until we get to see you, your family and friends on the line!! :F :F :F :F
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Tigger

Thank you all for coming out to Niles! It's a nearby range  for me, and I'm happy to see new faces and  returning shooters are certainly some of the best of all.  I'm glad I got to working in with you.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
C. S. Lewis  "On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature"

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling."
Rod Serling

Tigger

More pictures
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
C. S. Lewis  "On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature"

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling."
Rod Serling

Oz

Sunday was a beautiful day at Bend of the River, and I was very happy to spend it with our students and instructor crew.  Amy, Dustin and Paul, congratulations on your Rifleman scores!  Amy--err, "Fidget"--welcome aboard, and thank you for taking an orange hat!  Dustin, please do bring your son out, we'll take good care of him and Appleseed is a wonderful shared family experience.  merlin33, it was great to have you rocking the Garand all day long!  ST2 and Zazzles, a pleasure as always!

Oz
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Fidget

As many of you know no rifleman has been made without help from others, I wanted to recognize those great volunteers:

(Background for those who did not know: It took me almost a year to achieve rifleman, and my scope fell off at two of the four events. Below is a thank you in time line format.)

Rascal21 - Thank you for all your help at my first Appleseed and for loaning me your "baby rifle" so I could see how short of a length of pull I needed. (About a year later I scored rifleman with a 12.5" length of pull.)

Snipette - I owe you the most! Thank you so much for all your help the last 7 months! I would not have made this without your weekly help all this time. You are amazing and I truly appreciate all you did for us Lady Luck Rifle Team. Thank you so much!

Rascal21 - For showing me the best ammo for my rifle.

Oz & Rascal21 - For giving me my nickname. (SteelThunder might have helped in this...) This also was a reminder on what I needed to do to be a rifleman.

SteelThunder, Oz and Rascal21 - For making it fun, showing me my scope was in the wrong location, and I needed a longer rail to keep the scope in the correct position and from falling off. :)

SteelThunder & Oz - For making scoring 209 fun (I did not score rifleman that day/weekend).

Oz - for adding padding to where my trigger hand goes on the rifle (so I could pull the trigger with a "C").

Loctite for keeping my scope on the rifle.

SteelThunder & Oz - For running the day of the event that I finally scored rifleman at, even though there were only 4 people signed up.

I wanted to thank my friend (whom is not currently on this forum) for motivating me to go out and practice once a week.

And finely I need to thank my husband for spending a lot of time at the range with me, his love, and support throughout this process. :)

^:)^ 
Most of my books are here: https://www.librarycat.org/lib/bflysmile

Oz

Fidget, what a nice note!  Thank you.  You'll find that being an instructor is awfully rewarding.  It's true that we aren't paid, but there are huge benefits.  You learn a lot, and not necessarily what you think you'll learn.  You work with the best people ever (both instructors and shooters).  You help people with their marksmanship skills, to understand their heritage, and help them see how they can be better citizens.  Which makes communities and the nation better, one person at a time.  And sometimes you get a nice note.  Spending your time making things better is important work and rewarding (and maybe even addictive). 

See you at the IBC!  Oz
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."