News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Palm Bay 09/30/2017 questions

Started by Cmdr of Flying Saucer X-2, September 24, 2017, 09:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr of Flying Saucer X-2

Hello everyone. I've wanted to take part in an Appleseed event for many years. I've recently moved so now it's doable based on location. I was planning on attending the November event although I found out this week I probably won't be able to due to work. That leaves waiting until January or the event this weekend.

I very much dislike heat and I work in it. I am not ecstatic about attending a two day event in the heat. I am still pondering attending this week and I'll just suck it up. With the weather forecast it may be cloudy, which would be great.

1. Enough blabbering on about that. My 10/22 is not ready. I want to remove the scope and add Tech Sights. I won't be able to adjust them before the event; can this issue be dealt with?

2. The Appleseed store has only the TSR100 listed. I know either the 100 or 200s will work fine, however is the increased adjustability of the 200s of any significant benefit and how so? I did romp around Tech Sights page and did some other searching and couldn't find a definitive answer to exactly what the difference is/does.

3. For the 100s, the only tool needed is:
?

4. For the 200s, I need that one well as this one?

5. Would a Thermarest be an okay mat? Will Academy or Bass Pro have reasonably priced decent mats?

6. I've read large cap mags are an issue in prone which makes sense. I'm an average sized guy, will BX25 magazines work okay while prone?

Thanks. Whether this weekend or at a later time, I am super excited to finally be able to be part of this great organization!
When your government tells you who the enemy is, that is war.

When you figure it out for yourself, that is revolution.

Guntuckian

You will have no problem sighting in your Tech Sights. You will have plenty of time to do this.  Or, just leave the scope on your rifle.  Either will work fine at 25 meters.  Some do like the added adjustment range of the TSR-200, but the TSR-100 is fine over 25 meters out to 100 yards.  Both the TSR-100 and TSR-200 sights work well for Appleseed use.  Other than needing a different tool to adjust, as you correctly  noted which needs which, there's really very little difference between the two types.  Either will work fine.

You will need two magazines. The 10 round mags work best.  And, they are cheaper, too.  But, if you already have two BX-25 mags, they will work OK in prone for all but for youth sized shooters.  Their forearms are usually a little short to avoid mono-podding and we do not allow using a 25 round BX-25 magazine to be used as a monopod.

We have plenty of loaner mats available.  Just grab one at check-in each day.

Hope to see you this weekend!  We have lots of staff and that means lots of personal time with instructors!

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

TheMenace

We do have a few loaner 10-22 rifles with Tech Sights if you are unable to install yours before next weekend. A properly installed scope works just fine. Many people shoot score with the scope and then later on repeat with iron sights. Additionally, this is an opportunity to shoot center fire rifles up to .30 cal. If you have a semi-auto mag fed rifle such as an M1, M1A or AR pattern you are welcome to shoot it.
Hope to see you this weekend.
Dennis
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

B.C.

Quote from: TheMenace on September 25, 2017, 08:35:26 AM
We do have a few loaner 10-22 rifles with Tech Sights if you are unable to install yours before next weekend. A properly installed scope works just fine. Many people shoot score with the scope and then later on repeat with iron sights. Additionally, this is an opportunity to shoot center fire rifles up to .30 cal. If you have a semi-auto mag fed rifle such as an M1, M1A or AR pattern you are welcome to shoot it.
Hope to see you this weekend.
Dennis

Center fire welcome this weekend at Palm Bay??? See you on Sunday sir!
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Specialkay

The biggest difference between the 100 and the 200 is that the 200 allows rear elevation adjustment, while the 100 must be dialed in from the front sight post only. I find the 200 is a little easier to fine tune and get into zero, but both work just fine on the line. For me, the price difference was $5, so I went for the 200.

My first appleseed I attended I brought a CZ 452 with factory blade sights. For my mat, I brought two blankets. It worked just fine. I don't think I needed anything better. Although the bolt on the CZ slowed me down, and the best I could do was a 206. The blankets retained a little extra body heat, which caused a little bit more sweating, but they were honestly more comfortable (especially on the elbows) than the shooting mat I later got. I did end up returning with a 10/22 with auto-bolt release, 200 tech sights and a shooting mat. I scored a 216 on the first AQT that day, but I honestly believe it had nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with dryfire practice and how "comfortable" it made me feel not having to work a bolt action rifle.

Bring what you know and feel comfortable with. The goal of appleseed is to teach you how to shoot with your equipment, so you can take it home and continue to use it.
May 2016 - Rifleman - Ramseur (216)
June 10, 2017 - KD Qualified - Ramseur (33/40)
June 11, 2017 - KD Perfect Score - Ramseur (40/40)

Thank you for the responses. I have some goodies on the way and the registration confirm in my inbox. See you all this weekend  ^:)^

Wow, I learned a lot this past weekend. I knew before hand that I didn't know how to shoot, now I know what I need to know. Tons of practice in the future. one double digit aqt and the rest low 100's. Next AQT will be significantly improved.

All the hats were helpful and great. Some I want to give direct props to: Yankee Dave, Guntuckian, new red hat Dave (congratulations Dave!), and TheMenace; Thanks guys.