News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

One day event

Started by capnjim01, September 23, 2017, 12:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnjim01

Looks like the closet event to me is in San Antonio in November. It's a one day event how does that differ from the two days. I am a brand new shooter will not even get my rifle until the first of October.   Should I wait until there is a two day event, the next and closet one will be two hours from me in College Station.

PaleRider

For San Antonio at Lonestar Handgun Range, the October and December events are one day only (Saturday). The November event is two days (Friday-Saturday). The difference is that the one-day event covers all of the instructional material and is the same as the first day of a two-day event. The second day of a two-day event mainly consists of taking the Rifleman (Appleseed Qualification) test over and over throughout the day with breaks for history. We will introduce you to the Rifleman test in a one-day event, but we may only shoot one or two tests on the first day of a two-day event or in a one-day event. I hope that's not too confusing :).
Tim
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

capnjim01

Thanks Tim,

I'm in New Braunfels, for now so maybe i can get ready for the November 3rd and 4th event.  If not I'll try the  December 2nd.

DrRichP

the New Braunfels Known Distance event on November 11-12, 2017 is SOLD OUT. Sorry.

It looks like San Antonio, TX November 3-4, 2017 will be your best choice. What kind of rifle are you getting?
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

capnjim01

Ruger 10/22, I thought a .22 would be easiest and least expensive to start with and then I can work my way up since the techniques I learn at Appleseed will transfer to larger calibers.

scuzzy

Quote from: capnjim01 on September 23, 2017, 05:02:56 PM
Ruger 10/22, I thought a .22 would be easiest and least expensive to start with and then I can work my way up since the techniques I learn at Appleseed will transfer to larger calibers.

Be sure to at the very least put on a GI Sling - see this: https://appleseedinfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/LTR.pdf

Also the pdf link above says to use open sights - if you want a scope ignore that part - a scope is OK.

The Appleseed store sells the sling and swivel here if you need all that:

http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page13.html

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

capnjim01

Yeah I'll get the sling and probably several other things, knee and elbow pads, I've done some research. I'll be using a scope my old eyes just can't focus like they use to. Thanks.

scuzzy

Quote from: capnjim01 on September 23, 2017, 05:39:40 PM
Yeah I'll get the sling and probably several other things, knee and elbow pads, I've done some research. I'll be using a scope my old eyes just can't focus like they use to. Thanks.

Just make sure you don't get one of those big honkin' scopes. Most 22s I've seen with scopes have really big scopes and you can't get them far forward enough to get good eye relief. So people have the do what I call 'turtle neck' so they can see through them. They have to pull their head back towards the rear in order to see through them.

I'd just bought a semi cheap one that I've been really impressed with. You can get scopes 1/2 the price but most of them aren't worth it.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-6x-scope-with-the-patented-acss-22lr-reticle-pa6x32-22lr

And get the 'cantilever' mount that will get it setup just right - far forward enough:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-ar15-basic-scope-mount-pabasicsm

Those two items will almost be as much as your rifle. However buying the cheapest is usually a waste of money. Ask me how I know.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

capnjim01

Thanks, and I don't need to ask you how you know I've been there also. I'm looking at the UTG Bug Buster CQB scope and a picatinny rail so it willbe easier to change the position of the scope.  Thanks everybody for the advise, it's much appreciated. I've got 1K round of .22 I think it's called Magtech, I bought it when ammo was scarce and been waiting to use it shouldbe alright for shooting redcoats.