News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A better Rifle(wo)man. Marksmanship, finances and PT.

Started by Marquis de M, August 07, 2017, 11:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marquis de M

When I booked my attendance for the last RBC here in FL, little did I expect to learn more than marksmanship and hearing a bit of history.
The instructors kept saying that the Appleseed Project makes one a better (wo)man, little did I understand at the time why this was supposed to be.

Well, I earned my patch and decided to become an instructor, as "Through teaching we learn", I thought I'd improve my marksmanship skills down the road. But, the more I learn from the Appleseed Instructor Manual, the more often I hear the stories, and now me beginning to learn them by heart as well, the more my horizon expands and the better a person I become. I've also read Paul Revere's Ride since the RBC and so much is beginning to make sense now.

What has changed for me? Well, naturally my marksmanship skills improved drastically and are still doing so...

But, I was now also motivated to improve my family life, by setting up a real financial plan to get us out of debt for good (because those forefathers had their act together!). Yep, I really didn't expect THIS to come out of my Appleseed RBC attendance! :))
Back in the 1770s there were naturally no credit cards to briefly bridge some weeks where money might be tight. No, one really needed to act with a lot of foresight. What helped me was Dave Ramsey's book (with the baby steps)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1595555277/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(you can get it at smile.amazon under the link above - and you DO have the RWVA as the entity which receives the donations, right?!)

Instructions on how to set up Smile.Amazon.com:
"On your first visit to AmazonSmile smile.amazon.com, you need to select a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases before you begin shopping. We will remember your selection, and then every eligible purchase you make at smile.amazon.com will result in a donation."
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/ref=smi_se_rspo_laas_aas

Dave's book helps you plan and perform the individual steps of your defensive financial actions). But what especially helped me get on the right track is the "Green Box" with the Life Leadership Community http://marcuskessler.mainhomepage.com (something like a "WeightWatchers" community, but for your finances; it's nice to have a team to keep you motivated to stick to sound financial behavior).

Your mileage may vary, find out what works for you, but DO get out of debt, including mortgage! Don't wait for the 30 year mortgage term, YOU TOO can pay it off way faster! ...and then you feel more at ease in spending more time at more Appleseeds :)  …or maybe you too will create a dedicated Appleseed  :snipersmi Range, just like EngineerShooting did?! That at least is MY goal for us here in the Tampa Bay area  O0

Why do I consider personal finances a Rifleman topic? You can't attain liberty without also being financially free.

But, the reason I began writing this post was really that I have begun on a real fitness workout, with one that has captured my attention and has lit my enthusiasm: it's the MVT Rifleman Fitness Training:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/training-plans/other/tp-67841/12-weeks-to-rifleman-challenge-intermediate-and-advanced-fitness-levels

A fellow Rifleman introduced me to it (am I allowed to say your name?) and I've now also embarked on the journey of greater physical fitness, fantastic! Go and have a look at the plan, it's way more manageable than you may first think! It's a combination of cardiovascular exercise and strength training. Does it appear realistic? Sure does! Think of all the historical stories we recount at our AS weekends! They vividly demonstrate the marksmanship AND physical feats accomplished during the Revolutionary War. Would YOU be able to meet those challenges?

As I understand, other Riflemen have already completed the 12 week course - and now I've joined in with them, they are on their second time around, I am on my first time around. It's great to have a bunch of training buddies, even though they may live far away, we are in contact via email, letting each other know that we are indeed training and how we are progressing.

When you search for the keywords ""physical training rifleman" with duckduckgo.com or whichever search engine you prefer, you will find several websites writing on this subject and the following two articles had caught my attention:

http://artoftherifle.com/pt-for-the-rifleman/2011/10/pt-for-the-rifleman.html
(caught my eye because of it's brevity)

and

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/riflemans-journal/
(which caught my eye because, well allow me to quote the first sentence of the article: "The following article by Tom Alves describes a very practical approach to physical training for those of us who are not as young and spry as we once were.")
Please do read especially this last article, I think you will agree it was well worth your time reading it.

I am therefore certainly not the first nor will I be the last to write on the topic of physical fitness for the rifleman. But, I'm sure you will ALL admit that: "With PT you SUCK LESS!"

The above is my little story of how the Appleseed Project and especially my fellow Floridian Appleseeders are making me a better man. Yep, you all inspire me to improve myself, in ways that you probably did not imagine!

So, I'm now giving you this challenge: Will YOU also become a better Rifle(wo)man and SUCK LESS by joining our PT cadre?

:cool2:

---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

xsquidgator

Let's go!!!!   O0

I'll throw in a Yeah! for the MVT Rifleman Challenge fitness plan.  It's a challenge, but isn't anything worthwhile?
The more you try to do, the more you can do. 

Back-to-back pack runs this weekend!   ^:)^

kenjo

I'm in, just as soon as I finish this donut... :slap: At 70 years old, I'm keeping up with gravity by resistance training and walking. My running days are in the dim, dark past. However, I have a stretching routine that, among other things, includes the various sitting positions. This alone has made it easier to quickly get into a good sitting position during transitions. YMMV.
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

Monkey

QuoteBut, I was now also motivated to improve my family life, by setting up a real financial plan to get us out of debt for good (because those forefathers had their act together!). Yep, I really didn't expect THIS to come out of my Appleseed RBC attendance! :))
Back in the 1770s there were naturally no credit cards to briefly bridge some weeks where money might be tight. No, one really needed to act with a lot of foresight. What helped me was Dave Ramsey's book (with the baby steps)

If you are interested in getting a copy of this book, the first three people that PM me, with their address, I will send the book to them AT NO COST.

That's how strongly I believe in the principles of this book.

That is all.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

NJrefugee

Fitness is sadly overlooked by too many firearms enthusiasts and those who carry.  But as one combat pistol/rifle instructor here in TX says, "You're no use to anyone if you can't get there."  To reinforce this concept and provide a goal for which people can train, there are a bunch of events in TX and OK that combine fitness (cross country running and obstacles with all your equipment and ammo on) and 2-gun type shooting stages. These "biathlons" are super fun and help bring deficiencies to light.  You'll often find a lot of AS folks there as well.  Come out and play!

Kennebago

Couple of "motivational aids" have helped me get over the mental hump on cardio.

Audiobooks really help take the edge off on a stationary bike, or they do for me. 45 minutes at respectable intensity isn't long when you're listening to Murat's cavalry save Napoleon at Eylau, or to Max Hastings break down the Falklands. Podcasts are always good too - starting out a couple of years ago, Dan Carlin's series on the First World War helped me get from "well this is a terrible experience" to a state of "I can't stop now, the French are holding Verdun!" And the nice thing about most podcasts is that you can just download them on a computer and transfer to a beater MP3 player (don't necessarily need a phone).

As for running, this is way too much fun:

https://zombiesrungame.com/

Sits over your phone's music player, or an external player like Spotify. This drops in story elements between songs and does the usual "running app" stuff like track runs on GPS, but it also adds "chases" where yup, zombies are chasing you, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! The sound effects are great, there's a pack of zombies breathing down your neck and you know it.

Having to find another gear when zombies get on my tail makes me grin like an idiot. If that's your thing, this is hard to beat.

As a note, the production team and voice actors are all British, for which they should be forgiven (it's hardly their fault). You will hear accents. I am not up on British English, they occassionally drop slang terms I am not familiar with. Nothing outrageous.
Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien

Savage22

I'm very glad to see both these subjects come up. Both are very important in my opinion.

Over the years, its seemed that no matter how many hours a week I work, I just didn't seem to be able to get ahead. A little over two years ago, I decided that had to stop. I had been thinking about how some people can start from nothing, become wealthy in a matter of years, lose it all in a bankruptcy/divorce/lawsuit, and then build it all back up in a matter of years. I didn't see how that can happen, but obviously those people are seeing something that I can't see. I wanted to understand what it is that they see.

I went to the library, got a few books, and some audio books. For nearly two years straight, I did not hear any music while I drove. All I played in my truck were audio books on finance and economics. Every few weeks, I'd go to the library, pickup a few new books and more audio books. I spent atleast an hour reading every night. By now, I've heard every financial audio book that the library has to offer, and a few I heard more than once.

I can tell you that I am glad I did that. I've accomplished more financially in the last two years than I have in the previous ten.

Like previously mentioned, Dave Ramsey's work on making and sticking to a budget is excellent. I highly recommend his books and videos, although I don't agree with some of his investing advice.

Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad Series is excellent at getting you to look at the world through a different set of eyes.

If I had to pick one book which stood out to me though, it would be Mike Maloney's 'Guide to Investing in Gold and Silver'. 75% of the book has nothing to do with previous metals, its an explanation of how money really works (just like we've seen with history, we aren't taught the truth in school). If you want to understand the world of economics and investing, and could only read one book, this is the one I would recommend. He also has a series of Youtube videos called 'Hidden Secrets of Money' which are excellent.

As far as physical training goes, I've got a ton of work to do in that department. I've done weight training over the years on and off as time permits. I haven't been able to work out once since mid January due to a back injury. !@#)

Last year, I told my wife I was going to run a 5k race with her (she likes to run, I HATE running). I started a 2 month program that was meant to get someone ready to run a 5k. It would make me alternate between walking and running for varying intervals of time, trying to build you up to running 30 minutes straight. I couldn't keep up with the program after the first 2 weeks or so. My calves would tighten up to the point that I couldn't move my ankles much. I got some better shoes with helped, but the problem was still there. A week before the 5k race, I tried running 3 miles with her. My calves got so tight, that I almost literally could not walk for the next day and a half. She says the problem is that I stomp when I run, my heel hits the floor first, not my toes.  ???

At the end of the day, I can't run for the life of me....

Anyways, its great to see others taking a part in physical training and in learning how to improve their finances.

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
― Patrick Henry

Marquis de M

Quote from: kenjo on August 08, 2017, 05:06:55 PM
I'm in, just as soon as I finish this donut... :slap: At 70 years old, I'm keeping up with gravity by resistance training and walking. My running days are in the dim, dark past. However, I have a stretching routine that, among other things, includes the various sitting positions. This alone has made it easier to quickly get into a good sitting position during transitions. YMMV.

Dear Kenjo, sounds like you are a "Dangerous old man"!
Our ongoing Rifleman PT challenge is open for everyone, no matter how fast or how strong: focus is on steadily improving. Please do give me a direct message if you want to join the PT group on the free Endomondo site.
---

---

Marquis de M

Quote from: Monkey on August 08, 2017, 06:19:57 PM
QuoteBut, I was now also motivated to improve my family life, by setting up a real financial plan to get us out of debt for good (because those forefathers had their act together!). Yep, I really didn't expect THIS to come out of my Appleseed RBC attendance! :))

If you are interested in getting a copy of this book, the first three people that PM me, with their address, I will send the book to them AT NO COST.

That's how strongly I believe in the principles of this book.

That is all.

Dear Monkey, I salute you!
---

---

Marquis de M

Quote from: NJrefugee on August 08, 2017, 09:20:23 PM
Fitness is sadly overlooked by too many firearms enthusiasts and those who carry.  But as one combat pistol/rifle instructor here in TX says, "You're no use to anyone if you can't get there."  To reinforce this concept and provide a goal for which people can train, there are a bunch of events in TX and OK that combine fitness (cross country running and obstacles with all your equipment and ammo on) and 2-gun type shooting stages. These "biathlons" are super fun and help bring deficiencies to light.  You'll often find a lot of AS folks there as well.  Come out and play!

Shame you are so far away! Wish you fun!
---

---

Marquis de M

Quote from: Kennebago on August 09, 2017, 09:21:36 AM
Couple of "motivational aids" have helped me get over the mental hump on cardio.

Audiobooks really help take the edge off on a stationary bike, or they do for me. 45 minutes at respectable intensity isn't long when you're listening to Murat's cavalry save Napoleon at Eylau, or to Max Hastings break down the Falklands. Podcasts are always good too - starting out a couple of years ago, Dan Carlin's series on the First World War helped me get from "well this is a terrible experience" to a state of "I can't stop now, the French are holding Verdun!" And the nice thing about most podcasts is that you can just download them on a computer and transfer to a beater MP3 player (don't necessarily need a phone).

As for running, this is way too much fun:

https://zombiesrungame.com/

Sits over your phone's music player, or an external player like Spotify. This drops in story elements between songs and does the usual "running app" stuff like track runs on GPS, but it also adds "chases" where yup, zombies are chasing you, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! The sound effects are great, there's a pack of zombies breathing down your neck and you know it.

Having to find another gear when zombies get on my tail makes me grin like an idiot. If that's your thing, this is hard to beat.

As a note, the production team and voice actors are all British, for which they should be forgiven (it's hardly their fault). You will hear accents. I am not up on British English, they occassionally drop slang terms I am not familiar with. Nothing outrageous.

Good deal, thanks!

---

---

Marquis de M

Quote from: Savage22 on August 09, 2017, 09:07:16 PM
I'm very glad to see both these subjects come up. Both are very important in my opinion.

Over the years, its seemed that no matter how many hours a week I work, I just didn't seem to be able to get ahead. A little over two years ago, I decided that had to stop. I had been thinking about how some people can start from nothing, become wealthy in a matter of years, lose it all in a bankruptcy/divorce/lawsuit, and then build it all back up in a matter of years. I didn't see how that can happen, but obviously those people are seeing something that I can't see. I wanted to understand what it is that they see.

I went to the library, got a few books, and some audio books. For nearly two years straight, I did not hear any music while I drove. All I played in my truck were audio books on finance and economics. Every few weeks, I'd go to the library, pickup a few new books and more audio books. I spent atleast an hour reading every night. By now, I've heard every financial audio book that the library has to offer, and a few I heard more than once.

I can tell you that I am glad I did that. I've accomplished more financially in the last two years than I have in the previous ten.

Like previously mentioned, Dave Ramsey's work on making and sticking to a budget is excellent. I highly recommend his books and videos, although I don't agree with some of his investing advice.

Robert Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad Series is excellent at getting you to look at the world through a different set of eyes.

If I had to pick one book which stood out to me though, it would be Mike Maloney's 'Guide to Investing in Gold and Silver'. 75% of the book has nothing to do with previous metals, its an explanation of how money really works (just like we've seen with history, we aren't taught the truth in school). If you want to understand the world of economics and investing, and could only read one book, this is the one I would recommend. He also has a series of Youtube videos called 'Hidden Secrets of Money' which are excellent.

As far as physical training goes, I've got a ton of work to do in that department. I've done weight training over the years on and off as time permits. I haven't been able to work out once since mid January due to a back injury. !@#)

Last year, I told my wife I was going to run a 5k race with her (she likes to run, I HATE running). I started a 2 month program that was meant to get someone ready to run a 5k. It would make me alternate between walking and running for varying intervals of time, trying to build you up to running 30 minutes straight. I couldn't keep up with the program after the first 2 weeks or so. My calves would tighten up to the point that I couldn't move my ankles much. I got some better shoes with helped, but the problem was still there. A week before the 5k race, I tried running 3 miles with her. My calves got so tight, that I almost literally could not walk for the next day and a half. She says the problem is that I stomp when I run, my heel hits the floor first, not my toes.  ???

At the end of the day, I can't run for the life of me....

Anyways, its great to see others taking a part in physical training and in learning how to improve their finances.

Dear Savage22,
Absolutely agree with your finance comments!
Re your calf pain, do PM me direct to discuss if you wish.
Re our fitness group: it's not about absolute abilities, it's about continuously improving. Do direct message me to connect with our PT group, I bet you'll like it and you'll set your own pace.
---

---

Marquis de M

Rifle(wo)men!
Our PT challenge begins this Monday! There is a prize to be won! We connect via the free Endomondo site. Message me direct for details.

Objective: daily excercise over period of 12 weeks to improve steadily but at your own pace.

Will you succumb to your laziness or are you in?
---

---

stoneknives

Quote from: Jerry2017 on August 13, 2017, 02:38:54 AM
Rifle(wo)men!
Our PT challenge begins this Monday! There is a prize to be won! We connect via the free Endomondo site. Message me direct for details.

Objective: daily excercise over period of 12 weeks to improve steadily but at your own pace.

Will you succumb to your laziness or are you in?

Jerry I'll start my workout's Monday morning. Though I will readily admit the 12 weeks will be exercising to get myself in shape to really exercise. I'm not going Ruck that would end badly in my sorry state.

Here are my pre-exercise start stats .... male - 6' 4" - 242lbs in my underoos, shorts, 'seed t-shirt and Teva's. We'll see what the outcome is in November.

Wish all of you well.
Henry
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

xsquidgator

Stoneknives- Awesome!
Like Jerry said, the thing is to start, and to make improvements.
I put this off for at least a year or two until about this time last year.  It ain't easy but the psychological feel is a good one, a bit like working towards shooting Rifleman score felt like back when I learned about Appleseed.

I just finished week #3 of the 12 week MVT/Training Peaks Rifleman Challenge plan (2nd time through the plan, 1st time was January-May this year).  Back to back TABs yesterday and today, and now week #4- the glorious rest week to recharge for next weekend!

xsquidgator

BUMP

Now that we're back to normal after Irma, just checking on everyone... let's get after the PT!
Better conditioning makes better Riflemen!

Marquis de M

My bad! I should have followed up waaay sooner on posting the results of the Rifleman Challenge!

^:)^ XSQUIDGATER made the 1st place   ^:)^  Congratulations on your perseverance and keeping us going!

O0 2nd place went to Engineer Shooting! O0    Excellent performance!

You men have shown us true leadership and I thank you for leading the way in the Rifleman Challenge!

Due to your role modeling, I've begun Crossfit Classes today (and I know I can't allow myself to quit 'cause my wife has done Crossfit for years and all hell would break out at home if I quit!).

To all the other Rifle(wo)men here: what PT regimen will you do from now on? Tell us, because Xsquidgator and Engineer Shooting are training non-stop and I'll do so now as well - and you???

You can go training regularly too!

---

---

2wheelDuke

Jerry, hope you enjoy Crossfit.  I'd done workouts of that style for a long time at work, but only started doing it at a formal gym after my girlfriend had been doing it a while. 

I feel like I've been slacking a bit on my PT lately.  But I suppose that's about normal for the holidays.

I'll bring it up in the shoot thread as the time draws closer, but I'd like to have a group workout associated with the Hollywood shoot. 

There's plenty of space at the Hollywood range.  I'm thinking it'd be kinda cool to have get with my coaching friends and draw up a workout.  Anybody that'd like to is welcome to drop in at my local Crossfit box too.

xsquidgator

I've created a new Challenge in the Endomondo fitness app-"Xsquidgator's Winter Challenge"

Challenge for most active minutes cumulative until March 1st. Sports counted: Running, Hiking, Cycling (Sport), Weight Training, and Walking (Fitness). Workout must be >15 minutes to count.

Prize: Bragging rights and invite to a Swampdog training event.

This is a good-natured but competitive event.  Even walking (for 15 minutes or more) counts, so no excuses!  Let's keep up the training effort, even while it's cold.  Endomondo is a free fitness social media app that lets each Challenge participant see workouts posted by the other participants.  If you run Endomondo on a phone, it can use the phone's GPS to track exact distances, routes, calories burned, etc. and to automatically log each workout.  Easy workout logging and comparing yourself to the Jones' leads to more workouts and everyone wins... can you log more intensity minutes a week than us old guys?   ~~:)

PM or email me to get yourself added to the challenge in the app, if you can't find it in Endomondo or are having trouble adding yourself.