News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Subject!

Started by Recon-one, August 05, 2017, 01:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recon-one

I am posting this partly because there has been NOTHING from Kentucky for a long time.
It seems there is very little interest in Appleseed in Kentucky. Some of us have preached for a long time without any apparent interest. It is very disappointing, for sure. But!
There has been some interest below the surface!
A while back one of my friends and I were talking and he told me about the S&W MP 15-22 ban at Appleseeds. I hadn't heard anything about it. OK, I admit I don't visit the site every day but I do visit the site regularly. My friend had heard about the ban at the local hang outs, the junk yard or at John's Garage. Someone else has been viewing the site and talking around about what's going on. Whoopee! All of my preaching, or someone's, has been making a difference. So there is some interest after all in Kentucky.
It is my opinion that many are reluctant to attend an Appleseed because they have never visited a bona fide gun range before and are afraid they may violate some protocol. I didn't know what to expect at my first Appleseed and was afraid I might screw up and be ridiculed. I have tried to tell everyone that is not the way it works but getting them to commit to attend is like pulling teeth.
Recently there have been no Appleseeds near here so even less people are interested. But I haven't given up trying. I still preach the Appleseed message.

Charles McKinley

Hi Recon,

A Rifleman persists.  Do you belong to a club or have a place to host a Seed?  If so find the closest Shootboss and schedule one.

Start with the person that told you about the 15-22 ban and get them on board and try to find out where he heard it. 

Think like Paul Revere and target groups/group leaders when you talk to people to spread the word faster.

I understand about not knowing what to expect, that's why I paid for my brother to come with me to my first shoot! (My brother, one daughter and I are instructors now.)

If you want it you have to do it.  There is no other way.  If you need help ASK! Volunteers come to the call.  Hope to hear of a new shoot in your area soon.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Guntuckian

We have Appleseeds coming up in Paducah, Jackson, Knob Creek, and Park City between now and the end of October.  Where are you located?

We also have a good bit of info on Facebook.  Check out https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyRifleman for scheduled events, photos of new Riflemen, etc.

Appleseed is active in Kentucky.  But, we don't have shoots every weekend like states with 35 million populations. 

I am always looking for new locations interested in having an Appleseed, too.  But many ranges say their shooters already know how to shoot in KY :-).   Of course, knowing how to shoot is not the same as being a Rifleman.

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

dond

Recon,

There have been 3 Appleseeds in KY already this year. And just a week ago there was one only 12 miles south of KY in TN. I see you are in Olive Hill. Therefore, the closest one to you in KY will be in Jackson in September where I will be the Shoot Boss. I would love for you and your friends to come to that one. But there are also events in Ohio which may be suitable for you. Did you know that in the early days of Appleseed that it was common for shooters to travel across several states to get to one? You can find events all across the country from our home page by clicking on Events.

Don
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

WickerMan

Recon,

I know what you mean about people not knowing what to expect at an event, or having trepidation. I rolled up to my first event feeling like an idiot. Didn't quite know where I was going at the range. Didn't know who was going to be there, or what to expect. Didn't have some of the proper gear, as it turned out. Didn't know if it was going to be a bunch of "tacti-cool" dudes talking about different barrel twists and ammunition types.

What I found was a friendly and open group of instructors and participants that were helpful, easy to talk to and get along with, and who quickly put me at ease. They walked through everything and didn't make me feel bad for not having the right gear. They took a real interest in our progress and gave great instruction. There was no pressure, no intimidating tech talk, no machismo. It was a fabulous experience.

And there's all kinds of event. Check one out!