News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pittsburg, KS - Bone Creek Gun Club - July 22-23, 2017

Started by Lomshek, July 26, 2017, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lomshek

It was a brutally hot weekend of marksmanship and history!  Saturday was 99 degrees with 81% humidity.  Sunday started with a little rain that brought a cooler morning and only topped out at 91 degrees but the humidity made it all the way to 99%.  That absurd heat and humidity made shooting with eye protection very challenging as sweat was constantly pouring into our eyes and lenses were perpetually fogged up.

Between the heat and a huge multi-state farm show held locally (not normally on this weekend) our attendance was way down from usual but the 7 shooters who did show gave it all they had and we ended up awarding 3 Rifleman badges.  Our very capable Applecore helper firefly re-qualled plus two new Riflemen.

We put about 200 rounds downrange on Saturday and went a little berserk Sunday with almost 600 rounds for an event total of about 800 rounds.  We could have slowed that down with some additional NPOA drills and will at the next one.

We fired 1 AQT Saturday for score after a whole lot of NPOA, Rifleman's Cadence, Carding, B&D and other drills on squares and green coats then 8 or 10 AQT's Sunday after a repeat of a number of those drills.

Five shooters stayed for Sunday and beyond the two new Riflemen we had a couple others who were within a hair of earning a badge but defeated by heat fatigue.

Here are the pics I have.  Hopefully my loyal cadre will be throwing some more pics up shortly!

The firing line on a hot, humid Saturday.  Tim up front and another guy drove over 3 hours to do this.

We had them try every variation of the seated and kneeling positions to find what worked best for them.

Got to award a well earned red hat to kansashwy1 (Rob Tinsley)!

This young lady is physically incapable of not smiling!  All she did all weekend was work hard, shoot straight and smile (and shot a few scores in the 190's having barely touched a gun before the weekend).

We instructors spent a lot of time beside shooters helping them rig slings and tweak positions.

Applecore extraordinaire fyrefly did an awesome job helping me get things ready for the weekend and keep things running smooth!

She also re-qualled and shot a personal best of 237 once I convinced her to try my carbine with a low mounted scope and proper eye relief!   O0

One shooter hit 210 exactly on day two of his first Appleseed ever and was baptized appropriately!

Our other new Rifleman wished to remain anonymous but proved he very much knows what he is about by pounding out a number of Rifleman scores Sunday afternoon.

Overall great weekend of shooting in spite of some brutal conditions.

Lomshek

Here are a few action shots from the weekend!

Fyrefly killing it with a loaner rifle she expressed pleasure toward after putting eye to glass and lead to paper.   ^:)^

This guy drove 3 hours to melt on the concrete!

The perpetually smiling Aubrey slinging hot lead!