News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega CMP, AL - July 15-16 2017 - Instructor KD

Started by Maximum Ordinate, July 18, 2017, 09:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was a a great weekend at the CMP's Talladega Marksmanship Park!  If you haven't been to the TMP, it's the finest rifle range in the nation. 

If it's possible to have a better place to shoot or a better group of shooters... it's beyond my imagination! 

On Saturday morning, 22 Project Appleseed Instructors stepped onto the range as SHOOTERS.  This was the Georgia cadre's annual get together, but they graciously invited all instructors from surrounding states to join us.  And they did:  From Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, and North Carolina!  Ohio was allllllmost represented, but work came up.   :'(

We spent some time on Saturday morning in the classroom covering things like trajectory, effective ways to shoot the AQT, battlesight zero, etc.  Then, we moved out to Range Two to confirm zero's and get in some standing practice.  The day began hot and got hotter.  But, it wasn't too hot for pizza delivered by Domino's!  The weather radar was threatening thunderstorms, but we got lucky that afternoon.  After some shooting at Range 2, we took time to cover target detection and lot we took a break to cover target detection & lots of time for range estimation... then off to Range Five for practical exercises in the same.  Despite the heat, the day went astonishingly quickly!  Thanks to Google and GlockMike for setting up the shelters at Range 5!

Dinner, arranged by the Georgia crew, was at the Creekside cabins where most everyone was staying.  No kidding - these instructors can cook AND shoot!

Sunday morning arrived and we met in the classroom for some discussion and then moved to Range 1 for the rest of the day.  It's there that our shooters showed what they were about.  Congratulations to our THIRTEEN KD Riflemen:

Ramblin Wreck - High score of the day, 49!   ..:..
Google - Also high score of the day, 49!  Same AQT as Wreck!   ..:..
GDawg - Runner up with a 48!

and in no particular order....

DrJohn
Scar
Scarlett
Peachy
Guardian
Sesquipedalian
OldNavyDoc
Woodstock16
FreedomZXCV
SteveH

This was a great event - thank you to both instructor-shooters and instructor-instructors who came out.  A special thanks to our hosts at the TMP, especially Don Rutherford, Randy, and Elijah.  A special welcome to the new park manager, Deven.  Deven - your team is awesome. It's always a pleasure to come visit!

Liberty, yo!
MO

Group picture!

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Guardian

It was a great weekend! I enjoyed the shooting and experiencing the TMP, but the opportunity to visit with fellow Instructors for 3 days was OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Thanks to Maximum Ordinate, Google, and 'Wreck for running the event. It was first class! Thanks to Brianf31 for coordinating! Thanks to all the rest for showing up and sharing the weekend! It is truly an honor to be in your presence.

I look forward to the next round!

CokeGuy

This was not only a "learning event", but a very enjoyable one...except for the heat.
I really enjoyed the camaraderie of fellow Appleseed Instructors! Those of you that were gracious to provide food, thank you, thank you, thank you!
Having now been to a number of KDs led by MO and Ramblin' Wreck, I can tell you they continue to improve with every one, and this one was even more outstanding than prior ones.

My broken shell on the 4th shot of my first Stage 4 was a good time to end this one for me. Attached is a photo of the remnant wedged in the barrel...it took an outstanding gunsmith more than two hours, by completely taking the rifle apart, to remove it without damaging the barrel. If you ever need a great gunsmith, I strongly recommend John at Rough Creek Traders, 3558 E. First St., Suite 402, Blue Ridge, GA 30513. See www.roughcreedtraders.com.  I insisted he take $40 rather than the $30 he was going to charge. He also specializes in building custom rifles.

DrJohn

Knowing the excellence represented by Rusty and Ben, my expectations for this event were high, but the reality far surpassed the expectations. It is evident that a great deal of thought and preparation had been done and the material was presented in a unique and very effective way. This was my first time at the CMP and I have to agree that it is the finest shooting facility in the country. Many thanks to Devan, to Don Rutherford, and all the staff for making this such a rewarding and pleasant experience. But as much as I enjoyed the shooting, I enjoyed the fellowship even more. Mandi first suggested eating all our meals together at an instructors; KD event several years ago, and she and Mark, Marcus and Stef, Brian and Karen provided the bulk of the food, although everyone contributed in one way or another. Brian, this was a monumental job of organization and we are all in your debt. Diana, without your contributions both inside and outside the classroom, it would have been nearly impossible. And to my Appleseed family in Georgia, Alabama (I was claimed as an adopted Yellowhammer several years ago), Florida, Tennessee, and North Carolina, it was a joy to be able to see you again. Blessings to all, and may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

brianf31

It was indeed a memorable event at an outstanding facility. Rusty, Diana and Ben, thanks for your time and excellence in instruction.  Special thanks to Rusty who did extracurricular logistical leg work scoping out the campground.

Shooting and fellowship are a hard combination to beat!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

freedomzxcv

Terrific class with wonderful instructors. I got something out of every single piece of instruction. The food was awesome and company was even better. I don't understand how I gained four pounds in all this heat, but I'm positive cake had nothing to do with it.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

woodstock16

What an absolutely outstanding shooting facility, no doubt the finest in the country, bar none, beating out Camp Perry, Whittington Center, Phoenix, and Vegas, where I've shot long range, for sure. None better that I've seen. Rusty, Google, and Wreck did an awesome job corralling 22 recalcitrant instructor/shooters and herding us along the KD pathway. kinda like hearding cats, right?

Google made miliradians fun!! The unknown "find the targets and range them" exercise was outstanding at the end of the first day and a lot was learned by all.

Lets do this again next year!! I'll bring more ammo...

Lastly, just having the opportunity to meet and mingle with so many outstanding patriots was a thrill for this newbie. And not to mention the food. Did I mention the food? ;)
Ramseur 3-17 RBC - Rifleman & Long Range
Long Range 7-17- RwQual & Long Range - Talledaga
Calera 8-17 IBC
TALLEDEGA- REQUAL & LONG RANGE- 8-17
Freedom is not free. Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Old Navy Doc

Dittos to all the above.
I would like to acknowledge the incredible insights we were given that will allow us to become better teachers.
The quality of all the other student instructors is uplifting
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleer™: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

AH1Tom

I can't add much that has not already been said. It was a great event with great people. I learned a lot about my rifle and how to engage targets far beyond what I thought my capability was.

Has anyone mentioned the Carrot Cake? Woo it was good. Totally unbiased opinion on the cake.

Ramblin' Wreck

I missed the event last year, what DrJohn calls the Georgia Appleseed Instructor family reunion, but this one was as I remembered. This is one of those events I'd go to even without the shooting. Spending time with my Appleseed family is always enjoyable. It was great having so many shooters on the line and the cookout was spectacular. Thanks for cooking guys and gals.

As a suggestion, maybe we could move next year's family reunion to the fall. Just an idea cause it was HOT!  $$-0

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Guardian

I second the motion for a cooler time of year! It's funny, GA clears the calendar for the summer due to the heat and for the benefit of our shooters.....then we go and subject ourselves to it.  :cool2: At least we're holding ourselves to a higher standard, I guess.  ;D