News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SW M&P 15-22 rifles

Started by Tom Gage, July 17, 2017, 12:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Gage

Are SW M&P 15-22 rifles still allowed at Appleseed? I heard there was an issue.

didactic

Short answer is no, UFN.  No action lately, that I am aware of.

Smith and Wesson has not come out with any global announcement, is inspecting rifles and returning them, on an individual basis, last I heard.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Tom Gage

didactic

There was a big brou-ha-ha last year, many people with noses bentand feathers ruffled on this and on the S&W forum and other places.  Nothing to be gained by rehashing it here.  There were a couple of minor injuries involved, and the AOC suspended the use of those rifles at Appleseeds.
I hate it, because I have one of those rifles and would like to be able to use it at 'seeds, but there have been problems.  So what is, is.  Until further notice, the issue is closed.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

B.C.

Sold my two M&P's to make more room for new 10/22's!  :)
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Mutant Texan

Quote from: Tom Gage on July 17, 2017, 02:49:23 PM
Thank you.

I highly recommend getting an AR-15 rifle and buying the CMMG dedicated .22 LR upper for it.  I have two dedicated uppers now and have no regrets about buying them.  If you already have the CMMG conversion kit, you can buy the barrel collar and make the conversion kit into a dedicated .22 LR upper by swapping barrels out.

I also have a magazine well insert that allows me to use the S&W M&P 15-22 magazines and have a functioning bolt release button.  I prefer the mag insert but I also have many cheap Blackdog LLC magazines that fit in the standard conversions without the mag well insert.  They have all worked for me and I have not had any issues with them.  I do recommend buying the lightning loader though because they will wear your thumbs out loading the magazines.

I have shot the S&W 15-22 and was not happy about the weight or feel of it.  I bought the Umarex Colt .22 M4 instead and it was "ok".  I say ok because while it never game me any issues, the amount of money that I spent on making it into what I wanted, I would have been a lot better off just getting the dedicated upper.  I have made a posting about it if you want to know more about it.  It was the generation 1 version of it and it had some annoying things but it always shot with precision.
"Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills."

Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian, AD 37--101, on the Roman military

airplanejoe

Whole heartedly agree with Mutant Texan. When I bought my first AR, I bought a .22 upper (different brand). AR was great; upper was crappy. They were just starting to come out, my understanding is that now better products are on the market.

After struggling many years with it I decided to build my own. Used the receiver, fire control group, charging handle, rear sight and flash suppressor from the old upper, bought a barrel, free float handguard and rear sight. Put them all together and got fantastic results. Not bench rest accuracy, but more than adequate with white box ammo.

The bad part is that if I would have started from scratch, the cost of the project would have amounted to the price of two S&W M&P 15-22.

aj