News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

North Country Lady has passed

Started by TOMINCT, July 11, 2017, 02:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

I was informed by Roger that his wife Pat, aka North Country Lady, has passed after being stricken with cancer.

Pat was Roger's better half, always there and ready to help when she could. We met as she was trying to attain Rifleman status, and she did years back at a shoot in Columbia, Maine. Once she accomplished this she became an AC/RSO and never turned back. She was at most all Maine events I can recall, doing pre registration and helping those who needed it. In the last few years she would tell strikes one and two and did so in a very serious manner. She was also involved with scheduling at the national level of Appleseed.

Here is a list of some of her other accomplishments:

Pat attended the Newport schools, graduating from Towle High School, Class of 1960 as valedictorian. She went on to the University of NH, graduating Cum Laude in 1964 with a BA in English Education. Pat began her teaching career in a high school with 4,400 students. She had 160 students in her first year out of college. Many were new immigrant students and Pat taught them English after school where her voluntary class grew to 153 students and became the first English as a Second Language (ESL) program in the nation. She was the national women's field archery champion in 1958. Pat got her first deer with a bow on her grandfather's farm. She was a Navy Wife, keeping home and hearth safe as Roger served in the Navy, She earned two master's degrees in education and taught in six states. She was a child advocate for those students who had no advocates. Her ham radio call was N1ZDH.  She was an advanced EMT and saved lives. She served on many boards in many organizations. She climbed mountains, ran most of Maine's white water rivers and won sled dog races. She was the NH state Debate Champion and a great story teller, most recently with Project Appleseed.

Besides her husband of 52 years she leaves two son's, Adam Ek, wife Ailsa and grandson David of Merrimack, NH., Matthew Ek and wife Candace of Portland, Maine and other out of state relatives and friends.

It was a priviledge to have known Pat Ek, she will be sorely missed.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

VietVet

I posted this in the Maine State area of the forum but wanted to also post it here so all will be informed....

So very sorry to hear this. Project Appleseed has lost a very "Special Member".

Roger please know we are here for you.  Although not physically with you we stand with you in spirit and offer our condolences and support in any way we can.
Pat IS special and what she has accomplished and added to those she touched will go on forever. We won't mourn her but celebrate her life and what she has done for her Appleseed Family.

Stand tall my brother, Pat will ALWAYS be right beside you.

I for one will honor and celebrate her accomplishments by adding her name to the list of those who gave all on April 19, 1775 at our annual "Memorial Event" in April.

PATRICA RICH EK.....AIM........FIRE!

Anyone who would like to join me please add Pat to your list as a very well deserved salute.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Josey Wales

Life has a way of punching you in the face from time to time. I am deeply saddened and my deepest sympathies go out to Rodger and Family. We will have a moment of silence in Saratoga this October and celebrate Pat North Country Lady's life as a Patriot. God the eternal Father of all creation bless our friend Pat's soul. Amen..

..Strength & Honor, Josey Wales..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

PHenry

I am sorry to never have enjoyed the honor of meeting North County Lady. Surely His table awaits her. Words are useless. I will pray.
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ThePoet

What an impressive list of achievements.  I offer my sincerest condolences to Pat's family and friends. 

colonial shooter

Condolences to the family. She is now calling the line with the founding fathers.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Miki

Posted in the Maine forum and shared here as well.

Although I never met Pat in person, we were in communication, as the two of us have been keeping instructor scheduling running for the past eight years. Pat was the one who did all the heavy lifting around IS. She will be missed.

Old Guide, know that I have been thinking about Pat and sending prayers her way since she informed me of her illness. She was an amazing woman and my life is better for having the honor of working with her.

IS / Miki

The Wolfhound

I read this with sadness.  I have had many messages from "Pat" along my Appleseed path.  Most folks will never understand how hard her shoulder was pushing the work along.  We are diminished. 

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.