News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru, CA July 8-9, 2017

Started by bob 210, July 10, 2017, 12:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

We were joined by 16 hearty folks for a very hot weekend. The temperature as recorded at the range was 109 degrees on Saturday! Hardly Working was brave enough to join me in the Instruction Process and in no time we had people on paper and many in the black! The heat was intense and even with the typical Piru winds it was tough. Sunday saw 11 folks come back and on our first AQT we had a new Rifleman and a Requalification. Erik put up a respectable 228 and Chris requaled with a 225! Both of these guys kept increasing there score throughout the day until Erik topped the day with a 244! Later we welcomed our 2nd new Rifleman of the day. Jeremy posted a 213 followed by a 216! Sunday did gives us about an 8 degree break in temperature, but it was still in the triple digits. Where are the fabled "Infernoseed Patches"! If ever there was an Appleseed that Qualified for this elusive patch, it was this Piru, CA Event! Post your comments and pics here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

pewpew21

Thanks for the great instruction,  Bob!

I'll be back to try to bump up that 216!

Where do we start a vote on the infernoseed???

hardlyworking

I second the motion for Infernoseed!

Very sorry I couldn't make it back out for Sunday.  What a great group of guys we had on the line!  And I want to thank you all for your well wishes and help staying cool/hydrated in the afternoon.  Apparently more electrolytes are key and Gatorade is marginal in that regard, better than water, but supposedly there are superior alternatives I'll need to research.

pewpew21 make a careful analysis of where you are dropping points and practice those areas.  For most people its the time crunch + mag change + NPOA target shifts + sitting position (stage 2 of the AQT) practice at home (no ammo even in the room with you).  Don't worry about dry fire on a 10/22 it says right in the manual that its OK.

pewpew21

Seated position kills me. My proportions are wrong (long torso,  short arms), and have flexible hip flexors,  so none off the seateds are stable.  Feet in front is the best,  but that's more of a measure of how bad the others are..

Speedy

Bob and "hardlyworking", thanks again for the great instruction!  Sorry, it took me a bit to find this forum and AAR section...

Yep, it was quite warm the other weekend, even by Vegas standards!  I'll throw another vote in for the "Infernoseed" idea.  Given the circumstances, I really appreciate the time/sweat you guys put in that weekend... the instruction (and reiteration) of the fundamentals really stuck and helped me tweak my fundamentals.  Like pewpew21 said, I found that I really need to work on being more comfortable and natural with the sitting position. 

I've been talking it up to my guys at work, hopefully I might motivate some new Riflemen to give it a shot (pun intended).  Keep up the great work!

Erik

hardlyworking

pewpew21:

Instructor Dan has a funky seated position as well, but he practices it and owns it.  Short arms, long torso also.  What he does is a kind of "crossed-ankle in a crossed-leg" position...  I'll try to explain.

He crosses his ankles just like with an extended leg crossed ankle position, only then he pulls his knees up high and his ankles in close.  This lets him get his T-rex elbows on-top & in-front of his knees and he can lock it in on the target side.

pewpew21

Quote from: hardlyworking on July 24, 2017, 02:35:09 PM
pewpew21:

Instructor Dan has a funky seated position as well, but he practices it and owns it.  Short arms, long torso also.  What he does is a kind of "crossed-ankle in a crossed-leg" position...  I'll try to explain.

He crosses his ankles just like with an extended leg crossed ankle position, only then he pulls his knees up high and his ankles in close.  This lets him get his T-rex elbows on-top & in-front of his knees and he can lock it in on the target side.

Sounds like im going to need some flexibility work...