News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas - Instructor Only KD - September 30-October 1, 2017

Started by scuzzy, June 30, 2017, 06:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Wolves

Sorry, but you don't need a ballistics chart. Just something else to muddy up the water. Ain't no ballistics chart at the Marine Corps range  and Morgan didn't have one either. I'm not saying you can't refer to one, I'm just saying that if this event is run correctly, a ballistics chart would be a mute point.

You should shoot 5 sighters then go down and check your target. Write down your sight adjustments, go back and make sight adjustments, then shoot that cof. Then you go score your target and start all over at the next stage in the correct order. You won't be able to logically progress through come-ups and come-overs if jump around the stages. My best advise to anyone going to a KD is get a good 100yd zero before you go.

Looking forward to a fun weekend! 

Regards,  :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

RaggedHole

Quote from: Two Wolves on September 21, 2017, 05:18:15 PM
Sorry, but you don't need a ballistics chart. Just something else to muddy up the water. Ain't no ballistics chart at the Marine Corps range  and Morgan didn't have one either. I'm not saying you can't refer to one, I'm just saying that if this event is run correctly, a ballistics chart would be a mute point.

You should shoot 5 sighters then go down and check your target. Write down your sight adjustments, go back and make sight adjustments, then shoot that cof. Then you go score your target and start all over at the next stage in the correct order. You won't be able to logically progress through come-ups and come-overs if jump around the stages. My best advise to anyone going to a KD is get a good 100yd zero before you go.

Looking forward to a fun weekend! 

Regards,  :cool2:

**) **) **)

Two Wolves, you crack me up man, I was arguing in favor of holdovers vs clicks in the truck at the last Waco event and you told me that was silly and dialing your adjustments was the way to go, lol. I know you didn't dial all of your shots in the Marine Core. I came to my first KD with Engineer Shooting[Ken, FL] with a perfectly 100yd zero and calibrated target turrets for distance and Ken broke me down, made me re-zero at 25 and taught us the 25/200 hold under/over out to 100-500yds, with a standard plain crosshair. It was pretty tough to learn but a great skill to be able to pick up a any 5.56 or .308 and put hits on target out to 500. So when you say you don't need a ballistics chart I hear you. That being said, I already have my KD long range rocker and for me as a shooter I want to keep learning and practicing new things and I am going to use a combination of dialing and holdovers at different magnifications tom increase my precision.

From our last event I have already learned if I say orange you're gonna say blue, I say fast you're gonna say slow  ;) but you are a hell of a shooter and I will be watching you to learn and pick up new tricks this weekend and I know it will be a great time!
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

RaggedHole

I found a lot of the Alabama & Kentucky instructors swear by Strelok Pro [iOS & Android]. It has some pretty amazing and easy to use features. The also have almost every reticle possible AND the Appleseed D target. You can input your rifle, scope, click value, distances, course of fire and even if you don't want to dial you can look at your trajectories and look for you aim points for holdovers. I have been playing with it for the past few hours and the practical and tangible data to use in the field or on the line is amazing!.

If I want to use my center dot only and hold over you can see those points below [100yd zero]. Changing magnifications gives you new reference points and has some pretty big advantages as well. Not saying this is for everyone and heck you don't need it at all but it is fun and I do enjoy it :)

Side note for all the geeks out there, you can use your location to automatically input real-time wether conditions and your camera to set line of sight and angles. Pretty shnazzy stuff...

[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Steck

Interesting!  My too-heavy-to-carry-anymore AR15 has a WhiteOak upper (CMP style) Rock River lower with 3 pounds of lead pounded into the buttstock.

DrRichP

iSnipe and Strelok are both good. They do some different things. For this KD event I would probably recommend Strelok.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

AF5US

Is iSnipe iphone only?

Just downloaded Strelok & have started poking around.  Looks promising, but there doesn't seem to be much love here for irons  :-\
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

RaggedHole

Jason, I think if you select a standard duplex, put in your 1/2min M1A clicks, and select your Federal load you should get holdovers and dial ups for your setup.

Quote from: AF5US on September 25, 2017, 01:59:56 PM
Is iSnipe iphone only?

Just downloaded Strelok & have started poking around.  Looks promising, but there doesn't seem to be much love here for irons  :-\

Two Wolves

I went with Strelok Pro. I inputted all of the correct info and took it to the field. In real world testing it didn't do well. The one place that the app performed 100% is it did get my money. LOL  **)  It sure has a lot of eye candy. But like Raggedhole eluded too, I'm just an old bulldog, firmly entrenched in my own ideology.  :DH:  Perhaps the saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks applies here? Hey, I'm all in for the fun though! See you soon. Regards, Two Wolves  :cool2:

RaggedHole

Thats a bummer  :wb: Where did the app fail for you? Was it in the initial POI or in the adjustments at different distances? It is pretty much just a big calculator and only as good as the info we give it, which is sometimes hard to get depending on the ammo manufacturer and other dynamic variables. I am very curious to see what kind of results I get, I have only been able to get out to 100 lately and get zeroed.

Quote from: Two Wolves on September 25, 2017, 03:02:51 PM
I went with Strelok Pro. I inputted all of the correct info and took it to the field. In real world testing it didn't do well. The one place that the app performed 100% is it did get my money. LOL  **)  It sure has a lot of eye candy. But like Raggedhole eluded too, I'm just an old bulldog, firmly entrenched in my own ideology.  :DH:  Perhaps the saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks applies here? Hey, I'm all in for the fun though! See you soon. Regards, Two Wolves  :cool2:

DrRichP

Yes, I think iSnipe is only for iPhone/iPad.

I only use Strelok for ballistics truing; i.e., zero at 100 then shoot at 300 and physically measure the drop. Then I put that into Strelok and it calculated the actual spped of the round and give me a good ballistic trajectory/come-ups. That's why I thought it might be better for this event. We'll zero at 25. the .556 folks will then shoot at 300 and .30 cal will zero at 25, and either shoot at 200; or alternatively zero at 25 come up 3 MOA from the 25 m zero and then also shoot at 300. It depends on the range set up. We can then physically measure the drop and work with ballistic truing function of Strelok for those technically inclined.

Other than that one feature, I far prefer iSnipe.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

AF5US

Hmmm . . . I'll be curious what the apps say for my rifle / ammunition.

I did a little prep work ahead of time, and zeroed at 200.  Rifle was my M1A, ammunition was Federal Gold Medal Match 175 Grain

According to the manual, the MOA shift should have been 6 MOA from 200 to 400, but actual MOA shift was closer to 9.  The grouping was pretty good; it was just a larger variance than I expected.

RaggedHole

Fingers crossed, it looks like the skies will part for our weekend :)

Two Wolves

Like Tony the Tiger would say----It's gonna be G-R-E-A-T!

AF5US

Mrs. Smith

I'll be thinking jealously of you guys while I'm at work this weekend doing INVENTORY.

Joy.

T   :cool2:
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Weezer

Quote from: Mrs. Smith on September 27, 2017, 10:08:46 PM
I'll be thinking jealously of you guys while I'm at work this weekend doing INVENTORY.

Joy.

Mrs. Smith, if it's any consolation, I can't be there, either.   Had surgery last week and am dealing with not one but TWO post-op infections.   Went back to the doc today crossing my fingers that she'd clear me (she had initially said no last Thursday, but a girl can dream, right?).  Her answer?   "Not just no, but HE!! NO!".     :slap: :'(

Call me while you're doing inventory and I'll shout "bang!" at 5-second intervals.   It'll be just like you're at the range!    ;D
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

AF5US

Her answer?   "Not just no, but HE!! NO!".     :slap: :'(

Awww, that's too bad.  I was looking forward to catching up with you, and maybe talking to you about American Heritage Girls.   :-\  Your husband says you're the one in the know.  We'll have to talk later.

Sorry you're not feeling great!   $$-0

Mrs. Smith

Quote from: Weezer on September 28, 2017, 03:12:54 PM

Joy.

Mrs. Smith, if it's any consolation, I can't be there, either.   Had surgery last week and am dealing with not one but TWO post-op infections.   Went back to the doc today crossing my fingers that she'd clear me (she had initially said no last Thursday, but a girl can dream, right?).  Her answer?   "Not just no, but HE!! NO!".     :slap: :'(

Call me while you're doing inventory and I'll shout "bang!" at 5-second intervals.   It'll be just like you're at the range!    ;D

Well that STINKS.  Sorry to hear that,  lady.  Sounds like neither of us will be where we want to be. 

BANG 😉
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Weezer on September 28, 2017, 03:12:54 PM

Joy.

Well there goes a big perk I had hoped for when I made my appearance at the New Braunfels shoot.

I guess one day I'll have to meet Weezer the hard way by showing up and pounding on her door.

Dan told you I resemble an ogre, right?
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Weezer

Mrs. Smith - No.  Neither of us will be happy campers this weekend.    BANG! 

AF5US - Oh no!   I'm not doing AHG this year because of other commitments; however, I have tried so hard to get them to partner with AS like Trail Life (their brother organization) did.  (Another huge thank you to Gugisman for getting that set up!)    Don't know if it was our chapter, in particular, or if it's at the national level, but they just did not want to discuss it.   My dd11 couldn't even earn her shooting badge after completing an AS event because at her level, the girls could only earn badges for shooting BB guns.   That was pretty confusing to me.    :-X     

SNAitF - You're an ogre, too?   WE'RE LONG-LOST SIBLINGS!    **)
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Two Wolves

Quote from: Weezer on September 28, 2017, 09:00:53 PM
SNAitF - You're an ogre, too?   WE'RE LONG-LOST SIBLINGS!    **)

Bet you didn't realize that you both went to separate high schools together also.  %)

AF5US

My dd11 couldn't even earn her shooting badge after completing an AS event because at her level, the girls could only earn badges for shooting BB guns.   That was pretty confusing to me.    :-X     

Your daughter couldn't earn a shooting badge . . . after a weekend of  :---. . . because it would only count if she used something my 5-year-old daughter shoots, and which in my younger years my friends and I may or may not have shot each other with?    :slap:

And people say I'M crazy  #)
I think I've found where the common sense has gone in our country.   :2t  At least Appleseed is trying to reverse that.   :F  And now I feel that I've reached my smiley limit for the day  :)