News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas - Instructor Only KD - September 30-October 1, 2017

Started by scuzzy, June 30, 2017, 06:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Instructor Only KD:  September 30-October 1, 2017  http://www.eventbrite.com/event/35695418959
Only Appleseed Instructors - tickets are free

Open to public KD: November 11-12, 2017 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/35695618556

Thanks to Ghostring and PaleRider for getting this going.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

TxRebel

Signed up for the Instructor shoot.  Thanks for the intel Scuzzzzzzzy
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

AF5US

Sweet!!! I've got my space reserved  ^:)^  TxRebel, I'll see ya there!  Thanks, GhostRing & Scuzzy!

Does anyone know if there's camping available and if so, whether or not I'd be able to come up Friday night?

Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

scuzzy

Quote from: AF5US on June 30, 2017, 10:05:11 PM
Sweet!!! I've got my space reserved  ^:)^  TxRebel, I'll see ya there!  Thanks, GhostRing & Scuzzy!

Does anyone know if there's camping available and if so, whether or not I'd be able to come up Friday night?

There was nothing about that on the host application. I was hoping camping was available myself. I'll PM Ghostring and PaleRider and ask.

Ghostring

There is primitive camping available, and 5 electric hookups for campers.
There is no water on-site, there are grills available to cook on, and a clean port-o-john.

You should be able to come up Friday night, but I'll have to get the combination.
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

AF5US

Seems to me that if it's not "primitive" camping, it's not really camping.  >:D
Thanks Ghostring, I appreciate it.  Let me know what you find out about getting in early.  It's a 4+ hour drive for me, so if I can I'll take the day before off and set up early.

Is anyone on this thread familiar with the range?  I'm wondering if I should bring a canopy, or if there's built-in cover.

Ghostring

So, about the range in general:
It's home to a full-bore Silhouette club, and has berms out to 500m.  Their website has a cool video showing the elevated pad we'd be shooting from at 100/400.

You may want to bring a canopy, but we will be shooting from under cover at 100 & 400 yds, and we can't easily post a canopy at the 200/300 yd pads, so the canopy will likely be for rest time and maybe class time.  Definitely bring a chair (or two!). We're going to be able to have 10 shooters per stage, and need at least 5 instructors for support duty, some of which is sitting in a chair and making sure the range is clear when we're shooting.  Radios/comm gear stuff.  Everyone will have a chance to shoot the course at least one time, no matter what support/instructor duty they draw.

Apart from sighting in at 100, and instruction on come-ups and wind...
The KD Qual COF is going to be something like this:
1. Post targets/stands @ 100 yd berm
2. Set up on raised platform for standing.
3. Shoot standing, score/paste/pick up targets/stands, get on trailer and post @ 400yd berm
4. Retreat to 200yd pad, set up and shoot transitional seated/kneeling
5. Retreat to 300yd pad, set up and shoot transitional prone
6. Load up trailer, go to 400 yd berm to score/paste targets
7. Retreat to raised platform for slow-fire prone
8. Load trailer to pull targets/stands from 400yd berm and place stands @ 100yds
9. Discuss/learn/examine/brag/cry/rinse and repeat  ;)

I'm thinking we may be able to shoot a KD in an hour, Once we get used to it. 
First time will be slower, of course.  The trailer seats 20 and has room for gear.

This should be a relaxing and fun shoot for all, and I'd like everyone to get at least 2-3 tries on the course/day.  There's a public range nearby if some of us want to shoot pistols or whatnot.

It's a new range, and we'll probably hammer out some details while we're there!

GR
"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken...
     They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about..." - Lord Hugh Percy

"If a man's from Texas, he'll tell you.  If he's not, why embarrass him by asking?" - John Gunther

"That's Kirby-level shooting, right there!" - Trailman

AF5US

Thanks Ghostring, all good stuff.

You mentioned:
Radios/comm gear stuff

Based on my avatar, I may be able to come up with one or two of these  :P

I know we're 3 months out and you're probably still planning logistics, but . . . do you have any early thoughts on how many stations would need / want comms?  I'm assuming we wouldn't need to reach out further than the 400 yards, correct?

floydf

I can do one station, HT.  Also can provide two stations, FRS.

Floyd
KG5LJB

Quote from: AF5US on July 01, 2017, 08:50:05 PM
Thanks Ghostring, all good stuff.

You mentioned:
Radios/comm gear stuff

Based on my avatar, I may be able to come up with one or two of these  :P

I know we're 3 months out and you're probably still planning logistics, but . . . do you have any early thoughts on how many stations would need / want comms?  I'm assuming we wouldn't need to reach out further than the 400 yards, correct?
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

TxRebel

I wonder if they would be cool with me bringing a UTV?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin

TT92

So.... what would you reckon the round count to be for the weekend?  Are talking 100-200 rounds, or 400-plus? 
Asking for a friend. :))
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!!

Two Wolves

You need 60 rounds to shoot 1 KD. That's 20 for sighters and 40 for the stages. If you think you are going to be able to shoot 4 rounds of KD, then you would  need 240 rounds. At the KD's that I have attended, we where able to shoot 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. That's been my experience. Regards, Two Wolves  :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

TT92

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!!

RaggedHole

Hey Guys, I am a little late to the party but just moved from Spokane, WA to the Dallas area. I know it says sold out on the event but is there any room left on the line for another shooter? Just signed up to work the Waco August event and am excited to get involved down here!

***[Edit: Gonna plan to work the event and if some trigger time is in the cards, all the better but it will be great to get out to an instructors only shoot! Got my long range rocker at Ramsey, NC at the RBC last October and I have the KD bug bad now  :snipersmi

See y'all there!
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

PaleRider

Unfortunately, no. The line is filled right now.

Quote from: RaggedHole on July 31, 2017, 05:22:01 PM
Hey Guys, I am a little late to the party but just moved from Spokane, WA to the Dallas area. I know it says sold out on the event but is there any room left on the line for another shooter? Just signed up to work the Waco August event and am excited to get involved down here!

***[Edit: Gonna plan to work the event and if some trigger time is in the cards, all the better but it will be great to get out to an instructors only shoot! Got my long range rocker at Ramsey, NC at the RBC last October and I have the KD bug bad now  :snipersmi

See y'all there!
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

floydf

I'm bringing 400+.  Ammo's cheap.  Running out is a PITA.  What I don't shoot, I'll shoot later.

Quote from: TT92 on July 18, 2017, 10:33:17 PM
So.... what would you reckon the round count to be for the weekend?  Are talking 100-200 rounds, or 400-plus? 
Asking for a friend. :))
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

AF5US

Floydf that was my thought as well.  If 250 is recommended, I'll bring a case of 500.  In the history of America, has any shooter that wasn't hauling everything on foot ever complained about too MUCH ammunition? ;D

RaggedHole

Quote from: Two Wolves on July 18, 2017, 11:16:26 PM
You need 60 rounds to shoot 1 KD. That's 20 for sighters and 40 for the stages. If you think you are going to be able to shoot 4 rounds of KD, then you would  need 240 rounds. At the KD's that I have attended, we where able to shoot 1 in the mourning and 1 in the afternoon. That's been my experience. Regards, Two Wolves  :cool2:

I guess how many KDs you can get in, really depends how motivated everyone is...  ~~:) &) @&) ;D :snipersmi Got to shoot 3 days of KD @ Ramseur last year and shooting "hits count" we posted targets simultaneously @ 1, 2, 3, & 4 hundred yards and ran the COF straight through. Not stopping to pull, score, & repost till the end and throwing target circles over previous hits when we finished, we pushed 6-8 rounds each day, which was great practice! It also helps to have multiple trucks and a range you can drive on to run people back and forth but each range has its own challenges  :) 
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

RaggedHole

AF5US

I'm eagerly awaiting this shoot.  I have some "pretty good" rounds for my M1A, but I sprung for a few boxes of nice rounds to sample.  I'm going to go out and see if there's a significant difference and if so, I'll order some more of the nice rounds and re-index my sights for those.

Yes, I realize that a Rifleman can get the job done with a rack-grade rifle & ammo but . . . I really want to do well at this shoot.   :P  Besides, I'm shooting irons not scope  ;)

Mrs. Smith

SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!  I have inventory at work that weekend, and I'm the event photographer for a horse show for the next one in November. I can't catch a break LOL

:snipersmi
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

TxRebel

Im really sorry guys.  A work issue has come up that I must prioritize.  I will have to miss this instructor only shoot.  Scuzzy would you please cancel my eventbrite registration or PM me on how to do it myself if you know.  Thanks
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

scuzzy

Quote from: TxRebel on August 16, 2017, 02:36:00 PM
Im really sorry guys.  A work issue has come up that I must prioritize.  I will have to miss this instructor only shoot.  Scuzzy would you please cancel my eventbrite registration or PM me on how to do it myself if you know.  Thanks

No prob - cancelled the EB ticket. See you next time. Maybe do an informal KD at Garrett's place.

RaggedHole

Bummer you won't be able to make it Dan, but at least you got your Shoot Boss hat now! I'll put your "Golden Eventrbite Ticket" to good use!

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

TxRebel

Thanks RaggedHole.  Glad someone can take my spot.  I did get signed up as a shooter for the Novemeber one though LOL
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

RaggedHole

Quote from: Ghostring on July 01, 2017, 06:04:48 PMApart from sighting in at 100, and instruction on come-ups and wind...
3. Shoot standing, score/paste/pick up targets/stands, get on trailer and post @ 400yd berm
8. Load trailer to pull targets/stands from 400yd berm and place stands @ 100yds

Looking at our COF ^^^ does that mean we will be moving rifles and gear back and forth for each stage? Just trying to envision our setup, thanks!

PaleRider

We also talked about shooting this out of sequence, i.e. shooting the first and last CoFs first and then riding down to the 200/300 line to do both of those. Both the 100 and 400 CoFs will be under the canopy at the head of the range. We'll probably be experimenting to see what works best.

Quote from: Ghostring on July 01, 2017, 06:04:48 PM

Apart from sighting in at 100, and instruction on come-ups and wind...

I'm thinking we may be able to shoot a KD in an hour, Once we get used to it. 
First time will be slower, of course.  The trailer seats 20 and has room for gear.

This should be a relaxing and fun shoot for all, and I'd like everyone to get at least 2-3 tries on the course/day.  There's a public range nearby if some of us want to shoot pistols or whatnot.

It's a new range, and we'll probably hammer out some details while we're there!

GR
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

TxRebel

Sweet, sounds like you'll have it figured out b4 I come shoot it November.  Sad I'll miss the Instructor only shoot but most of the kinks should be worked out b4 I get there so that's cool.   ^:)^
- Edmund Burke

-Benjamin Franklin

RaggedHole

Does anyone have a good ballistic calculator or app they recommend? I am shooting 69gr Prvi Partizan Match .223 but their load data is out of a 24" barrel. I have the ballistic coefficient, energy, and other data but would just like to refine my dope card as much as possible with the info I have and set it up to compensate for my 18" White Oak AR. Thanks! 

This is what I have worked up so far: