News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Proposed Changes Eliminate American Founding Documents from HS Curriculum

Started by wetsight, June 27, 2017, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetsight

The Ohio Department of Education is proposing changes to the American History standards. Please voice your concerns AGAINST the changes.

Currently, Ohio 10th graders have five content statements devoted to the Declaration of Independence, Northwest Ordinance, Articles of Confederation, Constitution, Federalist Papers, Anti-federalist Papers, and the Bill of Rights--the things that make America what it is.

The proposed changes, however, call for shrinking coverage of these documents into ONE content statement. This will only decrease the quality of Ohio education as fewer content statements equals less classroom time devoted to teaching this material.

When I tell people I teach American History, they often sarcastically respond that they're surprised American History is even taught anymore. THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY to tell the state board of education that these proposed changes are insane.

Follow this link and ask the Ohio Department of Education to reject these proposed changes.
https://www.ohio-k12.help/social-studies-standards-revision/?sr=sshsc

wetsight

The proposals for the new American History standards will be sent to the state Board of Education after everything is ready. If you are serious about opposing the changes, I ask that you join me in emailing every single member and tell them the proposal stinks.

Board members' contact info is here: http://education.ohio.gov/State-Board/State-Board-Members

This is what I sent:
State Board of Education Rep. Kohler,

My name is Matthew Forte and I teach American History to sophomores at Logan Elm High School. I would like to express my opinion on the proposed changes to the American History Model Curriculum and explain why they would be detrimental to our efforts to educate our students.

I ask that you vote NO on the alterations that are being proposed for the American Founding Documents, or Content Statements 5 through 9.

As you know, the Ohio Revised Code, Section 3301.079A1b calls for Founding Documents to be taught (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3301.079). We currently have five content statements devoted to the Declaration of Independence, Northwest Ordinance, Articles of Confederation, Constitution, Federalist Papers, Anti-federalist Papers, and the Bill of Rights. This weight given to these documents and the ideas contained within them is proper.

The proposed changes, however, call for slashing the coverage of these documents into merely one content statement.

These documents represent the fundamental ideas of what it means to be American. These ideas have shaped our lives as Americans since the founding of our country and will continue to strongly influence our lives going forward. How can they be covered adequately in one simple standard? 

Supporters of the changes will argue that the 8th grade and American Government curricula already cover these topics. But how much does one remember from their 8th grade year? Do these documents warrant only cursory coverage in one class? Are the ideas that set America apart worthy of conversation in only one high school class? No! These ideas must be cemented in the minds of Ohioans and all Americans. We teachers must be given space in the curriculum to cover them in depth multiple times.

These proposed changes do not conform to the law as they would allow Ohio students to graduate without a solid understanding of fundamental American ideas.

Again, I ask in the strongest way I can that you reject these proposed changes that would set aside our country's founding documents as a mere footnote to our history. They are the bedrock of what sets this country apart and what has made ours the longest-lasting written constitution in world history.

Regards,
Matthew Forte

cwcdl79

Corvette

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

wetsight

(I realize this is an old post, but this seems like the appropriate place to post this update.)
The Ohio Board of Education rejected the proposed change that would have shrank teachers' coverage of the Founding Documents.  That means that high school students will continue to learn about the Declaration, Constitution, Bill of Rights, Federalist Papers, and the Northwest Ordinance. I spoke with someone at the state and she said that there was a lot of push back about these proposed changes.  :)

So, on behalf of American History teachers and students, thank you for stepping up and contacting people on the school board. They heard us.
It reminds me of the school board scene from "Field of Dreams."

308LIBERTY

"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Texas T

Matt, great news. Thanks for you efforts in this area.   O0

Catch you down the trail at some point this year.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Nashville Stage

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."