News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

August 19: West Central Florida Summer Appleseed Biathlon & BBQ

Started by Marquis de M, June 21, 2017, 01:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marquis de M

Riflemen!

I noticed that we have no West Central Florida Appleseed event this August  :(
Excellent opportunity that we Riflemen get to know each other a little better!  ^:)^

I thus propose the following friendly challenge and social get together:
- Riflemen only
- 1 mile jog with 20 pounds minimum in backpack with subsequent FAST AQT.
- Time for 1 mile as for average female/ male for your respective age group as posted here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1496
- Plus 4 mins for the Fast AQT.
- No sighters.
- Afterwards a fun BBQ with some nice music (preferably at the beach). Yes, you can skip the challenge and just come and cheer on the contestants and have fun with the BBQ!
- To be in Tampa Bay Area or Myakka city, given our regular trainings there.

Who's interested?
Who can make August 19th?
Which location? (I prefer Clearwater)
Any alternative suggestions for the challenge?

:snipersmi
---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

Timber Wolf

Cool, kind of an Appleseed Biathlon.  I can't make "down there" it but encourage this kind of thinking outside the box and team building activity. 

Marquis de M

Thank you TimberWolf!

Glad that at last someone likes the idea! Think my fellow Floridians here are fearing the heat  :cool2:
Hope some more of us will grow to like the idea! I was searching for an incentive for myself to pressure me exercise more and this sure would push me  :pop:
---

---

rambo granny

Jerry,
I love the idea of instructors getting together for comraderie.
There are two separate one day shoots on Aug 19th: Bunnell & Tallahassee.

Having a place that is economical to do it is very important for most of cadre. Quite a few will camp if it's an overnight event though that may be a difficult sell in August. Possibilities for camping are  Tallahassee & Smoak's place. smoak also has friend w farm & possibility to do some distance shoot & camp.
Perhaps some real rifleman team competitions would be fun too.

Bruce & I ride bikes to stay in shape, not run, but we are old farts. We ride an average of 100 miles a week & our doctor is very happy with us...perfect readings with all cholesterol bits, etc
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Marquis de M

Thank you RamboGranny, but I admit that 3 or 4 hours drive one way is too much for me for just one day. Was hoping to get something local going, but seems all are busy. Shame!
---

---

xsquidgator

bump- maybe not this time, but next!

There are some similar type events some of us in the FL-GA area have been doing based on the Max Velocity Tactical (MVT) "Rifleman Challenge".  The Rifleman Challenge is a 3 day event and more than you were thinking of, but there's also a simple MVT "Run 'N Gun" thing a bunch of us did last fall that was great.  Similar idea to what you're proposing.  With rifle, gear, and water, run/shuffle best-effort four miles over a hilly, wooded course, with shooting test stations at the two mile point and at the four mile point. 
It was challenging but do-able, and everyone who did it agreed we'll do it again.  Stay tuned and also keep an eye on the MVT calendar for repeat events, there will probably be one this fall.

Marquis de M

Outstanding Biathlon challenges!

Thank you for sharing. I'm stepping up my PT to meet that challenge next year!
---

---