News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

El Paso Community College May 20-21, 2017

Started by Jerry Hall, May 21, 2017, 10:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hall

Greetings Mr. and Mrs. Appleseed and all Texans wherever you may be.
Flash…
A short time ago(May 20-21, 2017), several Appleseed participants, Instructors in training and a Shoot Boss converged on the El Paso Community Colleges; Law Enforcement Training Academy for a weekend full of History, Heritage and Rifle Marksmanship.
The time flew by with stories of the events of April 19, 1775 interspersed with Rifle Marksmanship. Stories of Red Coats with holes in them, redcoats with holes in them, sighter squares and green coat targets with holes in them littered the equipment line. AQT's galore with scores rising and rising.
Our weekend ended with all our participants awakened to our shared history and heritage and three freshly minted Riflemen, forged on the anvil of the AQT.
Everyone had a wonderful weekend and several are already planning to attend our next event (August 5-6, 2017), we are looking forward to seeing them again.
"till we meet again", Happy Appleseeding Trails,
Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Mrs. Smith

I'm going through the pics now!!  Stay tuned!!
:pics:

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

"A generation which ignores history has no past, and no future." - Lazarus Long

"What we do now echoes in eternity." Marcus Aurelius

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Good morning, everyone!!!  Welcome to the After Action Report for the El Paso, TX Appleseed event for May 2017.  I'm your co-host, Mrs. Smith. Our host and venerable shoot boss Jerry Hall will be joining us shortly.  I'd like to begin by showing off our awesome classroom digs at the El Paso Community College Law Enforcement Training Academy in El Paso's Lower Valley.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we're THAT spoiled   >:D
"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein

Waco 1-17       Waco 1-19     El Paso 7-19       Alamogordo 5-20     Albuquerque 7-21       Houston 8-21 (SBC)    Colorado Springs  2-22 (SBC)    Midland 8-22 (KDIBC)     Albuquerque 2-23      Harvard 5-23      El Paso 12-23 (PIBC)     Phoenix 2-24    El Paso 3-24

Mrs. Smith

Pics from the line, including the first Redcoat of the weekend, and IITs working the line.

Mrs. Smith

Prone/SHFs demo'd by RJ_Mouse, prone NPOA demo'd by HotAirBill, and the presentation of strikes by Bill and Mr. Smith. (note that no pic of the third strike delivery exists - because it was presented by the photographer ;) any guesses who that was?)  So I put in a pic of one of our Young Patriots instead   ^-^

Mrs. Smith

10 shooters, 3 riflemen, and all three first-timers  ..:.. ^:)^

Gary M.
Connor B.
Ben W.

DrRichP

Looks like an awesome shoot. I hope each of you walked away with pride in your hearts. Keep up the good work!  O0
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Mrs. Smith

The folks at the El Paso Community College Law Enforcement Academy are kind and generous enough to allow us the use of their facility at no charge, so it's only right that we leave their range cleaner than we found it!

~~:) ~~:) ~~:) ~~:) ~~:)

Everybody pitched in without so much as a grumble, even the young-uns, and the place was sparkling in no time.

Mrs. Smith

After cleanup came the smiley-est part of the day!

Our Young Patriots, Anna, Juan Carlos, Kevin, and Fernie.  Huzzah!

Two of our newly minted Riflemen chose to take the 7th step.

Please welcome Ben (forum name IDtheTarget) and Connor (CBerry) to the Project Appleseed Instructor Cadre!

And at last, the most poignant moment of the weekend, the presentation of a Red hat to HotAirBill, who's been chasing that red had for quite some time now.  Congratulations, Bill!  (for a second there, I thought ol' Bill might be tearing up, but I'm sure he just got something in his eye  :cool2: )  We love ya, Bill!

Thanks to everyone who came, both the instructors and the students, and thanks especially to Jerry Hall for running a great event.   :1luvu

AF5US

Huzzah!  Looks like a great job folks, well done.   :F  I really like the idea of mounting the historical flags; I may use that.

Welcome Ben and Connor!

You've got a fine set of coaches in Mr. Smith & Mrs. Smith
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

TaosGlock

Great job guys and congrats on the Red hat "Mr. Bill". ;) :~
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

scuzzy

Way to go all y'all. And thanks to Jerry to getting El Paso back on the map.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Jerry Hall

Conner's forum name is CBerry, he will be in El Paso or Lubbock depending on school time.
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

IDtheTarget

Howdy, all!

I'm a Reservist currently called up for active duty on Fort Bliss, and had never heard of Appleseed before. I took the opportunity to attend an event while here in El Paso, and am extremely glad that I did. The whole weekend turned out to be uplifting as well as educational, and I was able to restore and improve upon rifle skills I haven't had the opportunity to use in the past decade or so (I've been issued an M9 since I came out of company command). 

I'm a concealed carry instructor in Oklahoma, and when I get home in a few weeks (my current orders are ending), I'm really looking forward to getting into the Project. My wife is also a shooter and has told me that she wants to go to the Appleseed in October, so who knows? She may get involved as well!

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in on how much I enjoyed the people, the format, the history (of which I was only vaguely aware), the civics (which as a soldier with 30 years of service I support 100%), and the trigger time. Really enjoyed myself and was impressed by the entire experience. Looking forward to digging deeper!

Ben

Mrs. Smith

Thank you,  Ben.  It was a genuine pleasure having you on the line, and I think Appleseed will be the richer for your participation.  Hope we can meet up at the range for some informal Pew Pew time before you head home!