Author Topic: Appleseed Challenge Coins - now for sale!  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Thaddeus

• Charter Pistol Instructor
Appleseed Challenge Coins - now for sale!
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »
 ^:)^ The Appleseed Challenge Coins have arrived and are now on our store website at http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page11.html!

Just $10 each - order one now and don't be caught in a 'Challenge' at your favorite beverage establishment or anywhere else.

Offline eaglescouter

• Instructor In Training 3
  • Sac Four Ought Nine
Re: Appleseed Challenge Coins - now for sale!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »

Are these in fact made of the precious metal or are they just silver in color?
The store description could be easily interpreted either way.
Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Offline DrRichP

• National Coordinator & AOC member, 2016-2018
  • Master Instructor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
They are not actually made of silver or the price would be 25-50× what they are listed at. They are silver in color.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

“What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition.”  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Offline Super Trooper

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:29:55 AM »
They are not actually made of silver or the price would be 25-50× what they are listed at. They are silver in color.

I have a couple 99.999% silver challenge coins.  They were around $30-$35 each to produce depending on the run and the cost of silver.
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line.  Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

Offline IXOYE

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »

I'm a little confused about the challenge coin. The first time I read something about it I thought there were some AQT scores like higher than 245 with optics and higher than 235 with iron sights. But as I've browsed around it looks like people are giving them away for all sorts of other things.

Just want some clarity and consistency to how they are used. Is there something written down with this in mind?

Thanks!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! (Edmund Burke)

Offline Two Wolves

• AppleCore
  • Fredericksburg 04/19/10
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »
The Appleseed challenge coin is a novelty item. Anybody can purchase them. You can use them as a conversation starter, advertisement, or give one as a special gift.

The "challenge coin" originated way back in WW1. When the air corps was first started there weren't trained airmen. The pilots came from the private sector. One pilot who became his squadron leader had tokens made for his guys. The guys wore their tokens on a chain around their neck. One of the pilots was shot down behind enemy lines and was captured. The Germans were taking him to a prisoner camp but it was too far to march  in one day so they stopped in a village for the night. They stripped him down to his shorts thinking he wouldn't escape. However, they left the token that he was wearing around his neck. Well, he did escape and while he was getting out of the village he took some clothes that was hanging out to dry. He made his way back to the front lines but once he got there he was captured by the French who mistook him for the enemy because of his clothes. They choose to execute him on the spot and as they went to shoot him one of the soldiers recognized the token he was wearing and they did not shoot him. When this story got back to the squadron it was decided that everyone should have that token with them at all times. So when they went to the pub for a drink, someone would pull out their token and put it on the bar. If the other person did not have his token then he had to buy a round of drinks. If he did have his token then the challenger had to buy the round of drinks. That's the challenge coin story.

Here in Fredericksburg, I gave out a challenge coin to anyone who made rifleman. About---60 in 7 years. It was personal, something I enjoyed doing.

There has been talk about a special patch for the scores that you mentioned. Still in the works I think.

Hope this clears things up for you, regards, Two Wolves    :cool2:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:54:08 PM by Two Wolves »
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Offline Rev.357

• Instructor In Training 2
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:57:57 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Two Wolves. I had attempted to research challenge coins previously, but only found muddle.

Keep up the good work.

BTW: The coins look sharp.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

Offline IXOYE

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »
Thank you! That's some great piece of history!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing! (Edmund Burke)