News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Isaac Davis Memorial Range Tallahassee FL April 22-23

Started by B.C., April 24, 2017, 09:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.

This weekend at the IDMR we had three excellent students and 15 great instructors on the line to learn our shared heritage of history and marksmanship. Molly, Josiah and Ian all showed great improvement over the weekend and we were all proud of your dedication and accomplishments during the event. Although no riflemen scores were revealed, Josiah was knocking at the door in the just over 200 neighborhood - well done! Dry fire practice one time a week before your next event and I'll bet you'll go home with that coveted badge of persistence that we call the rifleman patch. The AM weather was mighty fine but the afternoon Florida heat signaled that summertime is almost here in full swing. The IDMR always embodies what it truly is to be Appleseeders, thank you to the wonderful instructors who made this event happen so well. It's always an honor for me to be in the company of the finest individuals to be found anywhere in the land. Also congratulations again for Chuck and Kim being promoted to shoot boss, they were handed their green hats Sunday afternoon with much fanfare and a special potato gun salute! Enjoy the pictures I took below, and as always, I can't wait to do it again my friends and fellow countrymen!   
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Nashville Stage

Wow, that's a nice instructor ratio!

Congrats on the SB promotions!!

I'm curious, what's the thought process with reversing the redcoat target?
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

B.C.

Quote from: Nashville Stage on April 24, 2017, 12:41:47 PM
Wow, that's a nice instructor ratio!

Congrats on the SB promotions!!

I'm curious, what's the thought process with reversing the redcoat target?

Great question Nashville Stage, the answer is two fold:

1. It makes clearing the red coat a little more challenging.
2. Most importantly - just because we can.

Try it at your next shoot. Also just for good old fun, fire a rifleman score on an AQT hung diagonally. Why you ask? Again, just because you can.

"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Nashville Stage

Oooh... great idea. Challenge accepted.

So we have the "ghost" AQT targets, and now the "super ghost" redcoat targets.  ;D
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

gunjunkie

Another great weekend at the IDMR. With three shooters and 15 instructors they all had plenty of one on one instruction and they all demonstrated significant gains in their marksmanship skills. The weather was great, and with the cool nights it was perfect camping. As always we had the best group of folks you could ask for, shooters and instructors.
I want to thank Ken and Lori for all they do and for the first class range they provide for us to shoot on. I also want to thank all the instructors that helped me on my journey to the green hat, I have taken away something positive from them all. Congratulations Big Chris and Just Kim on your new green hats, you worked hard for them and you will both do well.
Can't wait to do it all again.       
Be aware of yourself and everything around you.

Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom! Thomas Jefferson

We shall pass this way on earth but once, if there is a kindness we can show, or act we can do, let us do it now,for we will never pass this way again.
Stephen Grellet

AdobeWalls

Seven years now I have been with Appleseed, and still marvel at the knowledge base and intrepid dedication of the IITs and Instructors. SB Ken Tomblin gave the greatest KD lecture I have ever heard - heavy on the BSZ aspect, as it should be IMPO - straightforward and stripped of useless theory. Chuck Williams solved a complex, recurring and vexing stovepipe-and-fail-to-cock-feedway jam in a 10/22 - he did it with parts! Of course, he had to have the knowledge and experience to know that as well. Parts from a superb manufacturer I had paid no attention to, all these years, go figure.
Despite the afternoon heat, the shaded shooting line kept attitudes cool and professional. When the Isaac Davis Memorial Range had its first shoot oh-so-many-years ago, Lucky Lori had decorated the grounds with flowering plants, so I called it Isaac Davis Memorial Range and Gardens. She's still at it, and Ken made a flag line on the side berm. Now the range sports a hot water shower facility! I don't think there is a range like this anywhere else. People want to make a trip to the Talladega CMP range with the fancy-pants electronic targets? Pshaw, IDMR&G is the model for us. There's no place like home . . .
Hats off to Big Chris, Gun Junkie, and Just Kim, decorated with well-deserved SB caps, and the fine hospitality, coaching and shooting done by Engineer Shooting's instructor corps, Little Chris, Saltwater Shooter, Chaos07, Lucky Lori, Caplock, Silver Bullet, Sean Shoot Here, Todd, Randy, and Timberwolf - pardons for those whose screen names I can't recall, here in the air conditioning! There is no place like the Isaac Davis Range . . .
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

M1bzrk

Great photos!  Nice to see some familiar faces.  Congratulations to the new SBs and to all of you.

Chaos07

Outstanding weekend of shooting and learning by all.  Thanks to all for the company, I enjoyed working with each of you. 

My hat off to Molly, Josiah, and Ian.  Having 5:1 instructors hovering over your every move can be challenging, but you all did quite well. 

Many thanks to Engineer Shooting and Lucky Lori for their unparalleled hospitality at their world class range.  Their dedication to the people of this program is unparalleled and make comping back a no brainer. 

Duane

In a Democracy, the majority rules.  If the majority decided they wanted your bike, the could take it.

In a Republic, your bike is your property and you do not owe it to anyone.  It cannot be taken against your will by law.

America is a Constitutional Republic.

Therefore, the Constitution is the law by which we are protected.

In a Republic, the individual is protected FROM the majority, by Constitutional Law.

A Constitutional Republic is what we were given.  It is up to US to KEEP it.

Timber Wolf

Another great IDMR shoot.  And cornbread.  The cornbread was to die for. :bow:  Great weather, range, hosts, fellowship among Appleseeders, etc.   Did I mention the cornbread?  It was very good. :1luvu

JustKim

Another great Appleseed shoot!  I'm not sure there's such thing as a bad one now that I think about it - a weekend of shooting is a great weekend!!!  Molly, Josiah and Ian all did a fantastic job - Josiah was knocking at the door - I know he will surely score rifleman next time.  Molly and Ian are not far behind.  Can't wait to see you all again!  Thanks to Ken and Lori for their hospitality!  Also, thanks to all instructors - as always, with your help, I continue to learn and grow as an instructor.  CONGRATS to Big Chris and Chuck on your green hats!! Hope to see you all soon!
ACCEPT YOUR WOBBLE!

It's not about perfection -- it's about progress!!

I LOVE this stuff!

"Perhaps you and I have lived with this miracle too long to be properly appreciative. Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again."  Ronald Reagan