News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The road along which Isaac Davis lived, is named Hayward Road

Started by Engineer shooting, April 19, 2017, 09:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

On the morning of April 19, 1775, James Hayward made his way from his father's home in West Acton, Massachusetts to the home of Captain Isaac Davis, commander of the town's Minute Company. The road along which Davis lived, ironically, is today named not for the bold leader of the Acton Minutemen who actually resided there but for the young schoolmaster. Hayward walked the route not just on that momentous April morning, but nearly every morning on his way to the town's schoolhouse. Hayward likely arrived at Capt. Davis's farm around 5 a.m., just around sunrise and about the same time, 13 miles away in Lexington, that the British Regulars reached the Green and fired on the provincial militia there. Hayward was among the first of Acton's men to report to the captain's house. But he had no business being there.

https://historicaldigression.com/2015/05/25/schoolmaster-james-hayward-and-the-battle-road/
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Rev.357

Super post. The narrative ends: But he had no business being there. Hayward had been excused from service because he was crippled. As a fat, old, arthritic, asthmatic patriot, I hope to be pictured with the pathetic group that went above and beyond  in The Spirit of 76.

Keep up the good work, Engineer.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

scuzzy

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

stoneknives

Excellent. I had read of Hayward before in some smaller written pieces. I had not known the back story of his age and the physical handicaps. A true Son of Liberty.

Henry
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry