News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

INSTRUCTOR ONLY KD, HAT CREEK, BURNEY, CA APRIL 29-30, 2017

Started by NorCal22Gal, May 04, 2017, 12:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

What do you get when you combine 10 instructors with center fire rifles, a full distance range, camping, bbq, and beautiful weather?  Well, that would be the instructor only KD at Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club in Burney, CA.......

It was a wonderful weekend.

The instructors who came up and camped out and bbq'd and shot full distance AQT's were awesome.

We combined learning some full distance techniques, improving sling use and positions with the socializing (aka team building) that works so well at events like this.  It's time we get to talk to and get to know fellow instructors and maybe meet someone from out of  the area and welcome new instructors.

Noon Saturday was the Morgan's Riflemen tryouts, one shot, cold bore, at the metal head at 200 yrds.  3 people joined the ranks of Morgan's Riflemen, Ron, Mike and April!

We go in one AQT on Saturday.  Mike, Matt and Ron, all previous KD Riflemen, scored rifleman again.  Mike 225,  Matt 216, and Ron brought in the highest score of the weekend with a 242!

Saturday evening we discussed unknown distance, target detection and target ranging. 

We finished that up and KP (aka Ken) ran the bbq like a master.  Thanks Ken!!  Thanks to all for the wonderful food!!  It was a bring your own meat and a side to share.  YUMMY!!

Sunday, we working on actually doing some target detection and ranging as the instructors searched the area for 5 D targets and 2 head shot targets, that were painted to somewhat blend in with the surroundings.  The targets were later painted orange and everyone had a chance to shoot at them.  It was lots of fun.

Several AQT's in the afternoon.

Mike: 209, 221, 224
Ron: 224, 226
Matt: 207
Matt: 211 (new instructor, 1st time KD Rifleman)

Thanks to all of you for helping us set up, tear down and clean up.  The saying "many hands makes light work" is very appropriate here. 

Thank you all for coming out and sharing the weekend with us.

Laurie (NorCal22Gal) and Joe (eaglescouter)

PS:  here's what some instructors had to say:  https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=50534.0

NorCal22Gal

Need to add a very special Thanks to TallSteve and April 6 Showers for their help. They came up to the range the weekend before the kd and helped unload all the stuff for the next weekend.  Thank you guys very, very much.   :bow: :~ :F

TallSteve

Fantastic Experience!  One that we hope to repeat every time it is offered.

We are looking forward to helping out at the upcoming AS in Hat Creek on 5-13/5-14.  I hope to get some more KD shooting in on that Sunday.  Maybe I can earn that Long Range Patch.

Thank you for making this event possible.

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

HeyApple

I did not want this event to end.  The BBQ and general experience of shooting at what felt like our own private range in the mountains was so refreshing.  Thank you Laurie & Joe.  Thank you fellow instructors.  Hat Creek is the best range I have ever been to.  Oh how I wish I lived closer to it.  I drove 5.5 hrs to get there and I will continue to drive that distance to go to events there it is well worth it.  The instruction on trajectory and come ups was great, putting it into practice was better.  Shooting targets at full distance, figuring come ups and then seeing it work out was so cool.

The lesson on ranging targets at unknown distance, finding and building a range card and then shooting those targets with audible feedback (steel targets) was a great exercise and one I want to repeat.

I did have some personal frustration this weekend, but I managed to learn from it so I am happy for the experience.  Let me tell you the story of my weekend and getting my rifle to work for me.  I got a new scope for my rifle and mounted it but had no time to zero it due events going on at my workplace.  I am a brand new instructor and wanted my equipment to be squared away before this event.  So on the Friday before this event I left work at noon, went to the local range, had one 20 min session to zero the rifle.  Then I was on the road for the 5.5 hr drive to Hat Creek.  I arrived and everyone was very welcoming.  We all helped setup targets, then we had some instruction, then it was time to setup camp and get to bed.  The next day we started by zeroing rifles at 25 meters.  I felt good about this so I got in prone and went to zero my rifle at 25m.  I had not shot the new scope in prone only at the bench.  I felt super unstable and it was due to my scope being mounted too far to the rear.  After struggling for a bit I decided to move it forward in the rings.  That helped and I shot most of the rest of the day that way.  When shooting stage 3 transition prone, I managed to put 2 rounds on the 300 yard target then after the mag change I put the balance on the 200 yard target.  This added to my frustration.  The scope was still too far to the rear and I decided I had to change the scope and get myself comfortable.  I moved the mount as far forward as it would go, then I re-zeroed at 25 yards.  I was really frustrated with myself because I would be starting over for Sunday morning.  Sunday morning after ranging exercise I was able make full distance adjustments and figure out come ups.  I felt so much more stable because I could now get a proper turkey neck and comfortable cheek weld.  It all came together after lunch when I shot a 211.  I surprised myself, because it was the first AQT after I calculated my come ups and they were spot on.  It proved if you do all of this stuff correctly you will get good results.  Moral of the story is make sure your rifle fits you, in all positions, this is important for steady hold factors.  A Riflemen persists, I keep learning this lesson. 

Again thanks to everyone that attended what a great event.

KP

I have held two one day KD events in Mariposa, and wanted to learn how to teach it better.  So I took my M1 (which I had put about 20 rounds through in the last 6 years...) and headed north.  I can say unequivocally, that it was a great experience.  I think the best part for me was getting to be a student again.  The instruction was top notch, with quite a bit of "advanced" info delivered.

I struggled with my steady hold factors, especially cheek weld.  My best AQT was the one on Saturday - a 125.  But on the way home, and for the next few days, I worked through the problems I was having.  Now with a year to practice, I know I will do much better next year.

Joe, thank you for your personalized instruction.  I think I get it now and hope to show you next year that you were right.  And thanks to everyone for making it a great weekend.
KP

The Horse

I am a little bit torn between telling people just how awesome this event is or just keeping it a secret for a few of us fortunate instructors. If you really want to learn what being a rifleman is all about, then this is the event for you. Joe has fine tuned his KD curriculum down to perfection. Can't wait for next years event, which might be a three day'er. Thanks to everyone for a great weekend. Sorry I didn't take more pictures, but here's one of the range setup.