News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Test post - please ignore

Started by Nashville Stage, April 27, 2017, 05:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashville Stage

Hey!
Caught ya...  ::)

These are some test images to see what size photos post & layout the best.

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Nashville Stage

Test #2

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Nashville Stage

Test #3

Guntuckian

The 700x700 and smaller do not cause an Android phone to pop up a new screen.  The larger ones all do cause an Andoid phone to pop up a larger screen.  FWIW

-- gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Nashville Stage

Test #4

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Guntuckian on April 27, 2017, 06:15:53 PM
The 700x700 and smaller do not cause an Android phone to pop up a new screen.  The larger ones all do cause an Andoid phone to pop up a larger screen.  FWIW

Ha! You figured out what I'm testing for.
Interestingly, on Chrome (Android & Windows) & Firefox (Android), 768 pixels will expand in place, while 769 pixels will pop open in a new window. Is that different than what you're seeing on your end?

Also strangely enough, 768 only seems to be the limit on vertical size, not horizontal.

Two Wolves

FWIW--- I've always resized to 522x392. Seems to work well with the Appleseed forum data requirements. I used to post about 60 to 80 photos from a shoot. I would put 17 to 20 in a post. That way the web site wouldn't crash. Hope this is helpful. Best regards, Two Wolves  :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Nashville Stage

Test #5

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Two Wolves on April 27, 2017, 06:27:02 PM
FWIW--- I've always resized to 522x392. Seems to work well with the Appleseed forum data requirements. I used to post about 60 to 80 photos from a shoot. I would put 17 to 20 in a post. That way the web site wouldn't crash.

Interesting...
522x392 seems awfully small. Is that the largest size that will post without going to an expandable thumbnail?

Nashville Stage

Test #6

Guntuckian

Quote from: Nashville Stage on April 27, 2017, 06:23:00 PM
Quote from: Guntuckian on April 27, 2017, 06:15:53 PM

Ha! You figured out what I'm testing for.
Interestingly, on Chrome (Android & Windows) & Firefox (Android), 768 pixels will expand in place, while 769 pixels will pop open in a new window. Is that different than what you're seeing on your end?

Also strangely enough, 768 only seems to be the limit on vertical size, not horizontal.

Yes, it is different than what I see. 

My Android phone is a Motorola Moto-E.  Screen size is 960 x 540 pixels.  Pixel density is 245 ppi.   The screen size is 4.5 inches (height.)

Older Moto-E phones have same size screen in pixels, but their screen is only 4.2 inches tall.  So, their pixel density is a little higher.

The bigger Android phones can display without having to pop open a screen as soon, as their screens are larger.

Good chance for me to test my phone using your test graphics!

-- gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Maximum Ordinate

Young padawan, Photobucket is the answer you seek for picture posting solutions. 

Not as clumsy or random as a direct uploading.  An elegant image... for a more civilized age.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Maximum Ordinate on April 27, 2017, 09:04:35 PM
Young padawan, Photobucket is the answer you seek for picture posting solutions.
Not as clumsy or random as a direct uploading.  An elegant image... for a more civilized age.

Well said.

In that vein, here are some more tests, but with Photobucket links instead of forum uploads.

Nashville Stage

Nashville Stage

Nashville Stage

Nashville Stage

Fascinating.

Here's what I've found on my equipment:
(Windows PC & Android, both with 1920x1080 displays, both with Firefox & Chrome)

When uploading photos to the forum...
- All images initially appear as small thumbnails.
- When clicked, images that are 1024x768 or smaller will enlarge & display in the same spot. Images that are larger than 1024x768 will enlarge & open in a pop-up window.

When inserting links to an off-site photo hosting service...
- All images initially appear as full-size, if 1024x768 or smaller.
- Images that are larger than 1024x768 will initially appear scaled down to 1024x768 high. When clicked, they will enlarge to full size in the same spot (up to 1024x1024).
- Images that are wider than 1024, *and 768 or less in height* can not be clicked on to enlarge.