News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN KD Sept 30-Oct 1 Questions

Started by d2331, March 18, 2017, 10:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d2331

My wheels are turning on possibly attending the KD shoot in Puryear at the end of September and had a few questions so I thought I'd ask before considering a 5 hour drive to get there.

1)  On average, roughly how many AQT's do you get in over the course of the weekend?  I realize every event will be different based on the class but just looking for a guestimate.

2) I have to cross state lines to attend, are there any state restrictions on magazine capacity, rifle features?  Can my national match ar be a "pre-ban" configuration, my USGI parts M1A have a bayonet lug, are 20 round mags ok?  I'm thinking about which rifle I should start practicing with more.

3)  What do you guys that shoot KD often like to use for ammo?  I know it's based on using surplus ammo and I'm putting in WAY to much thought on this but I'm also thinking that if I have 10+ hours of driving and the other associated cost of the travel I may as well use good ammo.  I reload and have plenty of 223/308 brass where all I have to do is add powder and seat one of my numerous match bullets.  Or if I go will I decide on my Garand using HXP?  Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the help and any tips you have!

Nashville Stage

Quote from: d2331 on March 18, 2017, 10:49:20 AM
2) I have to cross state lines to attend, are there any state restrictions on magazine capacity, rifle features?  Can my national match ar be a "pre-ban" configuration, my USGI parts M1A have a bayonet lug, are 20 round mags ok?  I'm thinking about which rifle I should start practicing with more.

To my knowledge, neither Tennessee nor Appleseed have restrictions on bayonet lugs, magazine capacity, or other stereotypical "assault weapon" features.

The features that I would recommend you be cognizant of would be the standard suggestions for any Appleseed event: have sling mounts in good locations, avoid magazines that are so long that they touch the ground or become cumbersome to change while in the prone position, etc.

I haven't been to a KD shoot yet, and I'm thinking about going to that one as well. Perhaps I'll see you there!
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

dond

It's difficult to forecast how many AQTs there will be but I hope to have at least 4 or 5.

TN is a gun friendly state. You shouldn't have any trouble with your rifles. I would suggest bringing them both in case of trouble with one. 20 round mags shouldn't be a problem. I suggest you start practicing more with the rifle you feel more comfortable with. Probably more shooters will be using ARs.

You can use any ammo you like. I like good ammo.

The firing line is covered and we can shoot all distances from there. If time allows, and we will surely try and make sure it does, that will mean 600 yards. Class will be held in a comfortable clubhouse.

I can guarantee that you will have fun and learn more than expected.

I hope both of you can come and that we have a sell-out crowd.

Feel free to send me a PM if you like.

dond

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

d2331

Thanks guys!  I like the idea of a covered firing line.  Also makes it easier to police brass.  I'm a cheapskate and don't want to pay anything out of pocket to go so I've been digging around in the man cave to see what I wouldn't miss.  I found some berdan primed surplus ammo that may be going to the highest bidder soon and should cover most of the trip.  If I go, and the more I think about it the more likely I will, I'll bring at least 2, probably 3 rifles.  Not only for just in case, but options are always nice.  I got my patch with and am leaning towards my rock river national match right now as that's what I've shot most lately and thus more comfortable with.  Less recoil could be beneficial over the course of the weekend as well.

Ramblin' Wreck

I'll echo what Don said.

Regarding ammo, just about anthing will work either handloads, milsurp or commercial. I recommend sticking with one "lot" of ammo to avoid changes in your zero when lots/ammo changes.

Dry fire practice is your friend between now and the event at Puryear. It's a great facility and we always have a good time.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Hope to see you there.

Wreck

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

d2331

Thanks.  I hear you on sticking to one "lot" of ammo.  I've seen the changes that occur at 25 yards when switching powder.  I sure don't want that headache at 400!

I agree about some dry firing.  To bad it's so boring but I'll be sure to get some in.  I'll have to set my "range" back up in the basement again.

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: d2331 on March 21, 2017, 05:50:02 PM
Thanks.  I hear you on sticking to one "lot" of ammo.  I've seen the changes that occur at 25 yards when switching powder.  I sure don't want that headache at 400!

I agree about some dry firing.  To bad it's so boring but I'll be sure to get some in.  I'll have to set my "range" back up in the basement again.

What?  Boring?  If it's boring, you're doing it wrong!   :-[ 

Anyone can lay down and pull the trigger on an empty chamber, but effective dryfire is something else entirely.  Good dryfire requires mental focus and self-awareness of your own body.  You'll get out of it only what you put in.

jmdavis has a good thread entitled Dryfire and the Rifleman

FiremanBob did an excellent post on his blog in 2015 entitled simply, Dryfire Practice

Read both and begin effective dryfiring TODAY!   ^:)^

Remember, practice doesn't make perfect.  Only perfect practice makes perfect!   :)
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

d2331

Yes boring.  Something about dry firing doesn't excite me.  I'm not saying I don't do it, just not as much as I should.  I do focus on what I'm doing and do things "by the numbers" when I do it.  And I do find it beneficial.  I have a 400 yard AQT target scaled down for the distance of my "range" in the basement and sharpie lines on the concrete floor marking the target and firing line positions.  Things have gotten shuffled around a bit recently so I just need to find the box my target is taped to and I'll be in business.  Figure it's about time I install the Geissele SSA-E I got for Christmas (I don't shoot competition) so I'll need to see how I like that.  And what better way to "break" it in by doing some dry firing and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks for the links.  I've actually done all 3 types of dry fire.  I find a white piece of paper better than a blank wall.  To easy, for me any way,  to pick out a slight imperfection and focus on that instead of the front sight.  It's also amazing how small your group can be when firing at a blank piece of paper.

d2331

You all made me dry fire some this evening.  Well done!  ~~:)  ;D

d2331

I've been dry firing daily. ;D  I need to send some rounds down range too, it's been a while.  Hopefully it will stop raining by this weekend so I can play.   

How is the KD scored?  I've read some reports where some say hits in the black count and x number of hits is a rifleman score.  Then I've seen others say 200 out of 250 is a rifleman score.  Just curious.  Thanks

Ramblin' Wreck

Quote from: d2331 on March 28, 2017, 10:36:06 PM
I've been dry firing daily. ;D  I need to send some rounds down range too, it's been a while.  Hopefully it will stop raining by this weekend so I can play.   

How is the KD scored?  I've read some reports where some say hits in the black count and x number of hits is a rifleman score.  Then I've seen others say 200 out of 250 is a rifleman score.  Just curious.  Thanks

Unless he has changed his COF I believe it will be a hits count scoring system. 40/50 to qualify. If I'm wrong I'm sure Don will correct me.  ;)
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

dond

Yes, 40/50 with Stage 4 being doubled.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

d2331

Thanks!

We were able to get one day without rain so I got to scratch my very itchy M1A trigger finger.  I cut the first stage from some AQT's I have and posted it at 100 yards and didn't do to bad.  Actually, I was pleasantly surprised considering it'd been a while since I've shot the rifle and it was cool enough outside that I put my coveralls on.  Had a tough time getting comfortable in position with them on, I'd never got down into prone with them before.  Next time out I'll take my NM ar and thinking I'll do even better since I've shot that more lately and hopefully it will be warmer.

d2331

Well, things have changed so I won't be attending :'( :'( :'(  I hope you plan some more next year around the same time or in 2019.  I'd LOVE to make it to one (or two) and will be sure to look at the schedule in the future.