News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2017 After Action Reports from other Sources

Started by scuzzy, February 24, 2017, 12:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Anybody have any news articles done about Appleseed?

Haven't posted anything on our latest news page in a long time.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

scuzzy

scuzzy

henschman

I recently read that Primary and Secondary AAR from last month.  It brings up the very good point that we should not be dogmatic in our instruction, or insist that ours is the only correct way of doing things.  I believe our system should be presented as a way of doing things, not the way (and that's exactly how I introduce it at the beginning of my shoots).  It is a system that works well for certain situations, and should be looked at as adding tools to the student's toolbox of shooting skills -- it doesn't mean that other techniques our students might have been exposed to are necessarily wrong.   

The author also suggests "
  • pen mindedness to different and updated techniques or best practices."  I agree.  I have long thought that Appleseed is a little too stuck on High Power styles and techniques, when we claim to be all about practical field marksmanship.  There is no reason in the world why we shouldn't be teaching techniques like monopodded prone that are highly effective and eminently practical.  No, it's not High Power legal; but we're trying to make a nation of Riflemen, not a nation of High Power shooters! 

Overall I don't find much at all to disagree with in this AAR (except for his opinion that the Army shot process is a better way of teaching the steps to firing the shot than our 6 steps... in my opinion there is absolutely NOTHING about that method that is better or easier to remember than ours... though it is definitely an improvement on their old BRASS method)! 

I'm focusing on the criticisms, but overall it is a mostly positive and complimentary review.  I think it is very fair in it's analysis of what Appleseed is and isn't, and where it fits in the scheme of the training world.  Keep in mind that this AAR is from the perspective of someone who is extensively trained in tactical/combat shooting, which colored his expectations of what a rifle class would/should be... such as when he laments that it is focused purely on marksmanship, and leaves out critical Rifleman skills like weapon handling and manipulation, fire and movement, etc.  I don't think he gave adequate thought to the logistical issues that would arise if we attempted to broaden the scope of our program to that extent... but it is a fair to point out that truly being a Rifleman (with a capital "R!") requires more than just pure marksmanship.  Perhaps that is something we could stand to point out when we teach the 7th Step and suggest that shooters continue to train and develop new skills beyond what we teach. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Mamma Bear

When will the 2018 After Action report strand be ready? There was a wonderful Ladyseed this weekend down in Fl.
Mamma Bear

scuzzy