News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Port Townsend, WA Feb 11-12 2017

Started by janer, February 14, 2017, 10:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janer

Eleven enthusiastic shooters showed up for the first JCSA Appleseed of 2017 to learn some history and improve their marksmanship. It was cold, but the rain held off both days.  We even had a couple hours of sun on Sunday.

Many thanks to Jefferson County Sportsmen's Associat1ion for hosting this event.  They are very supportive of Appleseed and it is appreciated.

Congratulations to our three new Riflemen Devon, Brett and Mark.  Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!
Congratulations to repeat Rifleman Jordon (IIT RaggedHole) who turned in an impressive 241.

Peter and John A. both had 200+ scores.  There was steady improvement in all scores (until fatigue set in on Sunday). Lots of scores in the 170-190 range. You could see everyone working to apply what they were learning.

Take a look at the "Do Your Homework" handout. It works.

I really enjoyed working with you all and hope to see you back on the line.

Earl

Starting my year off well with the Appleseed at Port Townsend, WA. Predictions of rain, memories of laying in puddles of chilling water as rain started to soak paper targets, kind of a gloomy anticipation, but then the Moon was overhead, lots of light and no clouds until I drove into fog banks on my way up.

Drove in and saw two IITs setting it all up, bandmask and That Guy, they started talking about their work and left me behind on the beach... they have lives as divers and such. ???

The days were cold enough to tire everyone out, should drink more water when that happens. Three young men soaking all they could, Peter, Bo, and Benny, and one of them was spot on his respiratory pause, focus and squeeze that it taught an old dog a new trick. John A will have to really work at it, but I think he is a believer now. ^-^

I do thank the range for that heated room, to listen and tell the stories of April 19th, 1775.   :bow: :bow:

I did see two, new to me, new technologies on the line - being very old school it is always interesting to see new ammunition, rifles and sights. The six steps for making the shot will never change and since we mentioned the Seventh Step, I am looking forward to seeing y'all on the line again with your friends and family. ^:)^
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

maxwell

This was a great first Appleseed for JCSA in 2017; perfect weather, and shooters with good attitudes who were eager to learn. I know Peter (my younger son) was disappointed not to earn a Rifleman patch, but it's the first time he's shot over 200. Dry practice on mag changes will get him there, along with using the same ammo both days to avoid a zero shift.

John A, get someone to card the sights for you and check that respiratory pause for your NPOA! You had some great groups on Saturday, and I expect a Rifleman score at your next shoot.

Chris, remember that there are lots of EEEEs in that SQUEEEEEze; work on that and a consistent *firm* handshake grip and your groups will tighten up, even in that uncomfortable prone position. It's good to see a fellow lefty on the line, and I hope you return! Benny and Bo, great persistence from both of you. Remember that you need a cheek weld, not an earmuff weld, and support both elbows in that cross-legged position.

It was good to see Devon and Sara back after their first Appleseed at Eatonville a few weeks ago. Devon did some solid Rifleman shooting with his AR, and Sara's groups have shrunk with the PS90 and holo sight. If we can figure out a way to rig a two-point sling on the PS90, it might help.

DevonErik

Sara and I had great fun, and are pleased with our progress.

It was gratifying to shoot a solid rifleman score, but I still need a lot more practice. A good score only means I did the right thing. The goal is to do the right thing consistently, quickly, smoothly, and reflexively, every time.

We probably won't make it to Custer, we have other plans... but if any of you are going to the KD shoot in Eagle Creek, Oregon in March, we'll see you there!

It will be interesting to see how the 5.7x28 round performs at range out of a 16" barrel. I have no idea where that far zero is going to end up at.
1st Appleseed:            01/27/2017 - Eatonville, WA
Rifleman:                     02/12/2017 - Port Townsend, WA
Cleared 1st Redcoat:  02/12/2017 - Port Townsend, WA
1st KD:                        03/10/2017 - Eagle Creek, OR
KD Rifleman:                07/13/2017 - Eagle Creek, OR

"Your level of accomplishment is what you did once. Your level of competence is what you can do all day, every day, and any day."

"Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without."