Author Topic: SLING Link - Project Appleseed Rifle Sling  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Vinnie

• Shoot Boss
  • . . . MAKE SOME NOISE!
SLING Link - Project Appleseed Rifle Sling
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:08:59 AM »
SLING Link - Project Appleseed Rifle Sling
By: Vinnie

We will be teaching you how to shoot your rifle, while using your SLING as a supportive device.
This is a VERY IMPORTANT part of our instruction, so we want to stress the need for you to come prepared.

Project Appleseed teaches rifle marksmanship using a 1.25” Military-type sling.
It should have the “H” Buckle stitched in place on one end, and an adjustable “keeper” (Cam Lock) on the other end:

Here are several sources to order this type of sling (or search: “Garand Sling”)
1.   http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page13.html
2.   http://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-web-sling-wwii-pattern-new-productio1.html
3.   http://www.tech-sights.com/product/loop-sling-for-m14m1-1-14-wide-x-46-long-cotton/

Direct Photo Link: http://imgur.com/a/MI0aJ

Vinnie

ps - Moderator, please move this thread to a public section, such as "How to prepare for an Appleseed", or the "What to Bring to an Appleseed" section.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:49:40 AM by Roswell »

Offline 9mm4545

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Myakka Twelve-Ten, Myakka Ten-Eleven, IDMR 2/17
Re: SLING Link - Project Appleseed Rifle Sling
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:08:55 AM »
I find that turning the keeper so that the moving part is to the outside (away from the support hand) makes it easier to adjust the sling length once a shooter is in position and having the smooth side next to the support arm is more comfortable than the other side. If you ever wondered what the metal tab at the end of the sling is for, try using it to help press the tab on the keeper on a new stiff sling. More contact area makes it easier to close the keeper and well, keep the sling at the proper length.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Offline 5akman

• Instructor in Training
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:37:43 PM »
What do we do if we have a rifle with the side mounted sling mounts? Install new swivel bases in the traditional locations? Is there a way to effectively use the side mounted sling?

Offline Vinnie

• Shoot Boss
  • . . . MAKE SOME NOISE!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
What do we do if we have a rifle with the side mounted sling mounts? Install new swivel bases in the traditional locations? Is there a way to effectively use the side mounted sling?

If I owned a .30 Carbine (with side mounted sling) I would leave it as is, and not sporterise it with modern sling studs.  That being said, I would also not use that rifle to refine my Rifle Marksmanship skills... eg: I would not use that rifle as my Appleseed training rifle.

If I owned an AR-15 that had side-mounted sling hardware, then I would move that hardware (or in some way reconfigure parts) so as to end up with sling mounts pointing downwards.

There may possibly be a way to effectively use a side-mounted sling, but we do not teach that method at our regular Appleseed shoots.

This thread (or one like it to be posted elsewhere) will be used as one of the links for "What to Bring to an Appleseed".   I believe it will help prepare those looking to attend an Appleseed for the first time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:35:32 PM by Vinnie »

Offline hogfamily

• RWVA Instructor
  • Anchorage Suburbanites & part time Willowbillies.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »
M1 carbine works great at Appleseed. You might have to do some tweeking with the sights though.

Son Travis had no issues using an M1 carbine with the side mounted sling all day Saturday.

He missed rifleman with it by a few points because he had to hold way under due to the front sight being too tall and the rear sight at full low adjustment.

I am not willing to file the front sight or replace the rear sight on this Rock Ola.

He qualified with an AR-15 the next day.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 02:56:02 PM by hogfamily »
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

“Move that fat ass Henry!”
“Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Offline Vinnie

• Shoot Boss
  • . . . MAKE SOME NOISE!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
Very nice pix  :)

I removed my side-mounted sling pic so it does not confuse the purpose of the thread. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:00:03 PM by Vinnie »

Offline hogfamily

• RWVA Instructor
  • Anchorage Suburbanites & part time Willowbillies.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Forgot to mention that we replaced the original sling with a GI sling. Squeezed it through the original sling mount. (1 inch vs 11/4 inch)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:52:27 PM by hogfamily »
Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

“Move that fat ass Henry!”
“Don’t swing your balls or you’ll swamp the boat!"

Offline Rocket Man

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Piru Three Ten -- There goes a well-known gun
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »
Don't mean to be That Guy, but I'm a little confused by the OP.

Unless things have changed a great deal, Project Appleseed teaches Americans to be as effective as possible with their rifles, whether or not they conform to an ideal training rifle.  That means trying to get the best out of whatever carry strap they happen to show up with, rigging a temporary sling for them if they choose to accept our help, or going without if they decline.

I have shouted from the mountaintops that M1 GI Sling is Best Sling to any who will listen.  Before we put a stop to it I sold dozens of them at our events.  I have ten of them in my own safe, one is even on a shotgun.  But I'm not going to turn away or even criticize someone without, whether he just has to have a Magpul Shadow Stalker Costa Assault v87 on a one-point mount, or he rolls up with a Mosin that hasn't seen daylight since the Tsars.  If you showed up, I'm glad to see you.  ;)

You want a Rifleman patch?  Oh, that's different.  :D Let's work on you and then let's refactor your gear.

P.S.:  I love my M1 Carbine and it's in as-issued configuration.  Never managed an AQT score with it, though, limited to low 200's.  C'est la vie.

P.P.S:  I like tab away from the stock.  To each their own.  Never seen it make a big difference either way.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:15:35 PM by Rocket Man »
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Offline Vinnie

• Shoot Boss
  • . . . MAKE SOME NOISE!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
Don't mean to be That Guy, but I'm a little confused by the OP.

Unless things have changed a great deal, Project Appleseed teaches Americans to be as effective as possible with their rifles, whether or not they conform to an ideal training rifle.  That means trying to get the best out of whatever carry strap they happen to show up with, rigging a temporary sling for them if they choose to accept our help, or going without if they decline...

Sorry for the confusion.... Obviously, we are not going to send anyone home for showing up with a different kind of sling.

Here is purpose of post:  Lots of folks just want to know what they should buy, or what is best for getting ready for an Appleseed event.  Appleseed focuses on teaching specific shooting techniques, utilizing the loop sling method (and some hasty), which is difficult for some attendees to accomplish without having a specific type of sling.
Yet, we currently list the sling as #23 in a list of 30 items to bring: http://appleseedinfo.org/pdf/What%20to%20Bring%20to%20an%20Appleseed%20Shoot_Updated_05.pdf

Since we are currently updating our event pages for 2017, we would also like to update the "How to prepare for an Appleseed", or the "What to Bring to an Appleseed" links so that more focus is given to the importance of the sling (since it is such an important part of our teaching methods).

This post is one of a series I can link to (in this case: SLINGS) to quickly and efficiently let people know exactly what we are talking about when we say “GI Sling”, and let them know how to best attach to their rifles.  Kind of like a Denny's Menu, with lots of pix for those who don't want to read.

Maybe posting here is not the best place, (especially if not available to be viewed by the public)…  I’d be interested to hear other’s views on this.

Thanks Much,
Vinnie
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:42:22 PM by Vinnie »

Offline Rocket Man

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Piru Three Ten -- There goes a well-known gun
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 06:53:19 PM »
Cool.  I figured we were on the same page.  Just wanted it to be clear to prospective students that this is a (very strong) recommendation, not a requirement.  Aaand folks are still gonna go their own way, because that's who we are as a people.   &)

Good pictures.  If we do want to point people to it on the public side, you might also describe how to put on the loop sling.  I've been linking people to the Ray-Vin page for years, no reason we can't have our own.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Offline Maximum Ordinate

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
  • Ziggy played guitar!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 07:23:22 PM »
Nice post with excellent pictures, Vinnie.  Certainly worthy of our newsletter!   :)
Appleseed math: persistence + rack grade rifle + surplus ball ammo = hits out to 500 yards

Offline Lomshek

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
Cool.  I figured we were on the same page.  Just wanted it to be clear to prospective students that this is a (very strong) recommendation, not a requirement.  Aaand folks are still gonna go their own way, because that's who we are as a people.   &)

Good pictures.  If we do want to point people to it on the public side, you might also describe how to put on the loop sling.  I've been linking people to the Ray-Vin page for years, no reason we can't have our own.

Yep good idea and great photos Vinnie. 

I'd say get the idea hashed out here then create a clean educational page on the website (much like ray-vin has) w/o all the forum comments.  Staged photos with good lighting and detail showing the correct mounting and use would be a great addition.

As far as side mount slings go once we do the sling demo and adjustment at the start of the day I explain how the side mounted sling is less than ideal because it torques the rifle sideways and offer (never order or force) to zip tie a sling onto the front of the handguard so they can feel the difference.  I always bring a pack of beefy zip ties for just that purpose.  It lets them feel how a sling should be and eliminates that "challenge" without making any permanent changes to their rifle.  We do the same thing with rifles that don't have a sling swivel and use some old GI parade slings as loaners.

Offline Tripletap

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »
I just installed a USGI sling on my Ruger 10/22 and a friend of mine suggested not to use the front clip, lace the sling through the swivel instead a detach the swivel if I need to disconnect the front. He said those clips can be rough on a wood stock, good advice or no? Thanks.

Offline Vinnie

• Shoot Boss
  • . . . MAKE SOME NOISE!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »
I just installed a USGI sling on my Ruger 10/22 and a friend of mine suggested not to use the front clip, lace the sling through the swivel instead a detach the swivel if I need to disconnect the front. He said those clips can be rough on a wood stock, good advice or no? Thanks.

can you post a pic?

Offline HazMatt1

• Instructor In Training 4
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:10:39 PM »

Ive modified both my slings by remove the REAR clip/hook and lacing it through the swivel. It dosen't seem any harder to disconnect in a shoot and it makes it quiet in the woods ;)
"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a Volunteer."--- Lt. Col. James Dolittle

Offline Tripletap

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »
Sorry have not figured out how to share pics from my phone yet.

Offline Tripletap

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
Got it!!!

Offline Tripletap

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
Just random pics of my 10/22

Offline Vinnie

• Shoot Boss
  • . . . MAKE SOME NOISE!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 12:59:03 AM »

Offline Monkey

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 01:38:54 PM »

Not sure I understand what you mean by "front clip".  You mean the keeper?
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible.”
― Hyman G. Rickover

My avatar:  View from the office, Great Bitter Lake

Offline Slainte

• Instructor In Training 1
  • Rifleman
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »
I prefer the 1 inch web sling for the 10/22, the 1 1/4 feels too massive and stiff for the smaller rifle.  It is identical in material and color to the 1 1/4 and is 2 inches longer.  It is $14 on the Tech-Sight website along with the sights. 
They also have a black nylon version that goes well with the stainless/synthetic Ruger if you don't mind the material.

Offline jazcat

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »
Is there any way to make the keeper easier to close. I need a pair of vise grips to close mine because it is so stiff. I have the USGI cotton sling bought from the RWVA. I have tried loosening and tightening it many times but that didn't make any difference.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Vinnie

• Shoot Boss
  • . . . MAKE SOME NOISE!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »
Is there any way to make the keeper easier to close. I need a pair of vise grips to close mine because it is so stiff. I have the USGI cotton sling bought from the RWVA. I have tried loosening and tightening it many times but that didn't make any difference.

Remove the keeper, and slide a large flathead screwdriver into the slot (under the bar), and twist it a bit.  That will loosen some of the keeper's grip.

Offline 9mm4545

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Myakka Twelve-Ten, Myakka Ten-Eleven, IDMR 2/17
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »

The little metal tab at the end of the sling can be used to add an extra bit of area to the cam buckle when squeezing it closed. In time, it will loosen up as the sling breaks in.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Offline ItsanSKS

• Master Instructor
  • Buy a rifle, then LEARN TO SHOOT IT!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:09 AM »
"Can I  The cam lock easier to close?"

Yes.  Take all the metal bits off the sling, and put the sling in with your laundry.  That should loosen up the material enough to allow you to close the cam lock without superhuman strength.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Offline jazcat

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
Thanks Gents.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Nashville Stage

• Instructor in Training
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Take all the metal bits off the sling, and put the sling in with your laundry.  That should loosen up the material enough to allow you to close the cam lock without superhuman strength.

Agreed. I did this the other day. In fact, I used the most NON-gentle cycle I could find, and left it in there for the longest cycle. Now the sling is more flexible, and softer against my skin to boot. Hopefully, next time my wrist won't become as raw from rubbing against a stiff sling all day.

Note: The sling is cotton, and will probably shrink a little. If you've drawn a line on the webbing as a reference to easily adjust its length to your preferred spots for sitting vs. prone, you might need to check & re-mark those.